U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 11:11 AM

988 posts, read 1,195,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
So the people that would have bought tickets to these concerts will never spend that money on something else (food, beer, clothes etc)? For your economic theory to work, that would have to be your assumption.
There are people from VA, SC, and other areas that would come for that show. So yes NC lost 100% of their money. Also we lost the money from the tax of the venue owner for the rental money and the tax on the band for the income. So yes NC lost a fair bit of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 11:40 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,396,370 times
Proud Father you have proven in other posts to show a lack of appreciation for brand value and public policy in general. This decision hurts NC's image as much, if not more so, than it does the general ledger.

I would encourage you to learn more about how the reputation and less tangible values can truly impact the economy of an area. I never really cared about either bathroom law but to minimize the impact and imply that announcements like Pearl Jam's, Paypal's etc. don't matter is really missing the point. It doesn't matter if you hate the music or think Paypal is a shoddy company.

Hugh McColl was quoted as saying the legislation was inappropriate and unncessary. He said it would hurt the economy. Do you trust his opinion re: NC business impact?

Old 04-19-2016, 12:34 PM

294 posts, read 171,596 times
Quote:
So the people that would have bought tickets to these concerts will never spend that money on something else (food, beer, clothes etc)? For your economic theory to work, that would have to be your assumption.

And your assumption is that everybody spends every dollar they make. And a large group like Cirque Du Soleil who was going to be in the state for probably 5 days doing 3 shows, their hotel rooms and restaurants they eat in will be filled by someone else so who cares.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:53 PM

537 posts, read 553,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwuno View Post
And your assumption is that everybody spends every dollar they make. And a large group like Cirque Du Soleil who was going to be in the state for probably 5 days doing 3 shows, their hotel rooms and restaurants they eat in will be filled by someone else so who cares.
Wow, I didn't realize they would be in town, at a hotel, eating for 5 days. That changes everything. How did hotels and restaurants exist before Cirque Du Soleil?

Old 04-19-2016, 01:02 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,014,883 times
Quote:
Wow, I didn't realize they would be in town, at a hotel, eating for 5 days. That changes everything. How did hotels and restaurants exist before Cirque Du Soleil?
Read: Don't care! Live in SC!

Old 04-19-2016, 02:28 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,346,799 times
Quote:
No impact to the state. They'll spend their money on something else in NC. Oh wait. Did you say Ringo Starr cancelled? I take back everything. NC is doomed. Seriously you can't be serious.

I never said North Carolina is "doomed" ... but you must be in profound denial that these actions and the all the others by PayPal, Deutschebank, the prohibition on official travel to NC by dozens of major states and cities around the US, etc. etc., ad infinitum are of no consequence.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:30 PM
NDL

3,189 posts, read 3,652,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
I think it was part of the bill, but I think it had more to do with adding a sexual identification/orientation clause to the discrimination side of things.
It would've compelled private businesses to shuck discretion in certain instances.

I was in Sales straight out of school. Once in awhile I'd come across a couple that would negotiate price to the extent to where their sale (my net profit) would not warrant my time and effort.

Very seldom would it happen, but there has been a time or two where I've had to say: "I'm sorry, but I can't help you."

The decision was a discretionary judgement, after looking at the potential profit I'd be making, and the time I would have to invest, before and after the sale. It'd be rare, but there are times in business when certain ventures aren't worth the effort that would be put into them.

Yet in such a scenario, the potential customer could say that my motive is something other than what it was. And under CCC's ruling, I could be falsely charged. I'd have to retain a lawyer. I'd lose time from work, as I'd have to defend myself in court. I might be wrongly fined. I'd imagine that my Sales Manager would have to include him or herself in the meeting, to substantiate my innocence.

I'm no longer in Sales. But the above scenario could well play itself out, in a lot of realms.

Lots of folks are making off the cuff decisions on this matter, without thinking through the far reaching consequences

Are forum posters comfortable with such a scenario?

Last edited by NDL; 04-19-2016 at 02:40 PM..

Old 04-19-2016, 08:16 PM

4,951 posts, read 7,884,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

It's not just about Springstreen. How about Ringo Starr?
Oh no, does that mean we won't get to hear "Photograph" for the 300 thousandth time? Say it isn't so Ringo....

Old 04-20-2016, 06:13 AM

156 posts, read 146,526 times
Like I said in the other thread, maybe NCers can petition Ted Nugent or Toby Keith to rescue these venues.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:16 AM

156 posts, read 146,526 times
And, uh, KISS? How does that sound?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or