Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 06:36 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,373,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
It would've compelled private businesses to shuck discretion in certain instances.

I was in Sales straight out of school. Once in awhile I'd come across a couple that would negotiate price to the extent to where their sale (my net profit) would not warrant my time and effort.

Very seldom would it happen, but there has been a time or two where I've had to say: "I'm sorry, but I can't help you."

The decision was a discretionary judgement, after looking at the potential profit I'd be making, and the time I would have to invest, before and after the sale. It'd be rare, but there are times in business when certain ventures aren't worth the effort that would be put into them.

Yet in such a scenario, the potential customer could say that my motive is something other than what it was. And under CCC's ruling, I could be falsely charged. I'd have to retain a lawyer. I'd lose time from work, as I'd have to defend myself in court. I might be wrongly fined. I'd imagine that my Sales Manager would have to include him or herself in the meeting, to substantiate my innocence.

I'm no longer in Sales. But the above scenario could well play itself out, in a lot of realms.

Lots of folks are making off the cuff decisions on this matter, without thinking through the far reaching consequences

Are forum posters comfortable with such a scenario?

And the couple could have done that based on any of the State protected classes in your past. You really see adding one more thing to that list as representing that much of an increased risk? That's pretty suspect....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 08:18 AM

294 posts, read 232,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Z-B View Post
Like I said in the other thread, maybe NCers can petition Ted Nugent or Toby Keith to rescue these venues.
Is Anita Bryant still singing? She could sell out an arena or two

Old 04-20-2016, 09:26 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
And the couple could have done that based on any of the State protected classes in your past. You really see adding one more thing to that list as representing that much of an increased risk? That's pretty suspect....
Ridiculous.

What I just cited is a very real scenario that plays out regularly in business.

Yet, you did not counter the example, but questioned my motive in posting it.

So there's no misunderstanding: I don't question the City's motives in putting forth the ordinance. But it is worded in a way that makes it rife for abuse.

The more I consider the matter, the more I see the above as being true.

Likewise, I see how HB2 can be misapplied. It too, was written in such a way as to be misused.

Whenever I consider policy, I also consider the possibility of misuse.

Last edited by NDL; 04-20-2016 at 10:29 AM..

Old 04-20-2016, 10:20 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,373,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Ridiculous.

What I just cited is a very real scenario that plays out regularly in business.

Yet, you did not counter the example, but questioned my motive in posting it.

Please show some stats that indicate when other states/localities add LGBT to their Protected Classes that the number of fraudulent discrimination suits increased more than commensurately.

I'll wait.

Otherwise, your argument is weak, at best. ANYONE that falls into a protected class *could* file a fraudulent discrimination suit - that is no reason to not have protected classes.

"Ridiculous", indeed.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:35 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Otherwise, your argument is weak, at best. ANYONE that falls into a protected class *could* file a fraudulent discrimination suit - that is no reason to not have protected classes.
You're right.

After thinking this through, I agree.

I do not want to see any person discriminated against, and there needs to be a means through which victims can mediate the crimes perpetrated against them.

Last edited by NDL; 04-20-2016 at 10:48 AM..

Old 04-20-2016, 10:54 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Oh no, does that mean we won't get to hear "Photograph" for the 300 thousandth time? Say it isn't so Ringo....
300,001 here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6CMSuT98-E

Old 04-20-2016, 01:43 PM

294 posts, read 232,956 times
Great Britain issues travel warning for its residents to NC and MS. Gee that will help AA with their twice daily flights from Charlotte to London.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:51 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwuno View Post
Great Britain issues travel warning for its residents to NC and MS. Gee that will help AA with their twice daily flights from Charlotte to London.
That's just great. Must make McCrory proud to be getting international notice.

It probably explains why I saw an article in the Charlotte Business Journal that the UK is actively soliciting companies.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:54 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,481 times
UK issues travel warning about anti-LGBT laws in U.S. - CNN.com

Old 04-21-2016, 09:41 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
This is stupid and overkill, please give it a break already with the hyperbole (travel warning, really?). It's time to move on and all the grandstanding and maligning the HB2 will produce minimal to no economic impact. Either invest the money, time and energy to vote the SOBs out of office or deal with the consequences. Let the courts have their voice as well.

Many NC'linians are still in shock since the GA was paid and bought by the GOP 10 or so years ago. When the GA was left leaning and for the past 100+ years, there was political balance in Raleigh with small pendulum swings left-to-right-to-left, whether Repub or Dem gubnor. The Jessie-crats and Blue Dog Dems only allowed political and social agendas teeter so far to the left, now the entire bunch has free reign to apply tons of pressure on McCrory to fit their social agenda whose past moderate positions on issue like Transportation, etc are the only reason he got elected in the first place

So, it'll take time, years to revert or at least add balance to that totalitarian regime in Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte