U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2016, 08:59 AM

294 posts, read 171,844 times

Advertisements

I think in time people will look back and say what the Republicans did in NC helped Anti-Discrimination for the nation as much as any other one thing. Now the NCAA has adopted an Anti-Discrimination policy for any site that bids for a NCAA event. It is a shame that all people of the state have to pay a price but hopefully come election time enough people will hold those responsible accountable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 09:22 AM

11,809 posts, read 9,403,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwuno View Post
I think in time people will look back and say what the Republicans did in NC helped Anti-Discrimination for the nation as much as any other one thing. Now the NCAA has adopted an Anti-Discrimination policy for any site that bids for a NCAA event. It is a shame that all people of the state have to pay a price but hopefully come election time enough people will hold those responsible accountable.
yeah.. no. What will be remembered is the backasswardness of NC.

Another convention cancelled in Wilmington. Another Million gone.

Good job.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:47 AM

5,128 posts, read 5,856,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

Think:

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and talks like a duck........

........... it may not be a duck.
Like this?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/leticiamira...A9g#.dhnzX7MvE

Old 04-28-2016, 10:38 AM

990 posts, read 1,196,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
To say nothing of the complete PROHIBITION of cities and municipalities to enact their own anti-discrimination legislation as they see fit, the capping of the minimum wage statewide, etc.

The bathroom portion of HB2 was the least awful thing about it.
Exactly every time someone from out of state brings up the bathrooms I have to educate them over what the law actually does.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:24 PM

3,569 posts, read 6,188,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
Exactly every time someone from out of state brings up the bathrooms I have to educate them over what the law actually does.
In all seriousness we were considering a move to Charlotte and I'm trying to educate myself as much as I can about what is going on (because frankly it's swaying me away from the state) but I'd love some more "education" on what this law actually about because most focus us just the bathroom issue. Could you post some actual real info?

Old 04-28-2016, 12:48 PM

8,878 posts, read 7,989,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
In all seriousness we were considering a move to Charlotte and I'm trying to educate myself as much as I can about what is going on (because frankly it's swaying me away from the state) but I'd love some more "education" on what this law actually about because most focus us just the bathroom issue. Could you post some actual real info?

Nothing more than a political peeing contest. The State told Charlotte not to pass the city ordinance about the LBGT protections, or else. The CCC passed it, regardless.

So, as punishment for that defiance, the State legislature called an emergency session and rammed through HB2, which, sure, addressed transgendered folks being able (or not, in this case) to use the restroom of the gender they identify with. This was done in the name of "safety" for our wives and daughters. However, HB2 also included legislation that prevented ANY discrimination case for ANY protected class from being tried in State courts. The only option now, even for cases that were already in progress, is the Federal court system. Further, it prevents cities/counties/municipalities from passing any anti-discrimination laws of their own, period. It also capped the minimum wage at $7.25/hr across the state, regardless of local legislation or the will of the people within a locality.

This bill had zero to do with bathrooms or locker rooms or the safety of any women. That was simply an expedient excuse for all the other things they wanted to accomplish.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:21 PM

4,232 posts, read 3,597,077 times
I've been watching the debate over LGBT individuals using the bathrooms usually associated with the opposite gender. I've a number of friends and colleagues over the years who are certainly labeled as transgendered. Frankly, I've enjoyed them all. They've been good people. But there is nothing hateful about expecting males to use bathrooms associated with men, and females doing the same. If someone identified as a male but they are in fact genetically a female, they need to use the restroom of their respective gender. Or, follow the route that some corporations have offered and use the family bathroom. Which again, makes sense. Forcing one gender to tolerate the opposite gender because someone feels male or female regardless of their actual gender is wrong. Just as wrong as discriminating against someone because they identify as the opposite sex. And, if I have a concern that my daughters would be in the bathroom as a transgender man, that in no way means that I'm using my children to cover an assumed hatred of people different from me. Throwing the hate label around is intellectually lazy, dishonest, and is simply a vehicle for censorship.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:28 AM

221 posts, read 132,315 times
I hate that corporate America is sticking its nose where it oughta not be. You have your companies set up in Countries that kill Gay's yet you want to punish a State for bathrooms.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:55 AM

4,673 posts, read 3,065,858 times
The CIAA says they will remain in NC despite HB2.

CIAA will stay in North Carolina despite state's LGBT law :: WRAL.com

Old 04-29-2016, 08:54 AM

299 posts, read 195,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
The CIAA says they will remain in NC despite HB2.

CIAA will stay in North Carolina despite state's LGBT law :: WRAL.com

So they should. Higher education uses discrimination daily. Not only that they actively defend the discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or