U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2016, 11:46 AM

15 posts, read 15,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
People are not just irate about bathrooms. Maybe you'd understand that if you actually knew what all is in HB2.
What does it matter? We are talking about people who represent .00001% of the population. Why is it the loudest dog gets the treat? Why do I just say that I identify as Disabled and collect benefits? Or how about that I identify as an American Indian and not have to pay taxes? See what I am getting at?

You have way more problems to deal with than this. It saddens me that with all of the stuff going on..being 20 trillion in debt, college/healthcare and medication costs through the roof, the middleclass getting squeezed by the rich AND poor, that THIS is the battle people want to fight over? You have a penis? Use the mens room. Vagina? Use the womans room. Have kids? Use the family bathroom. How is this such a difficult thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 11:51 AM

21,852 posts, read 27,123,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takenotes View Post
What does it matter? We are talking about people who represent .00001% of the population. Why is it the loudest dog gets the treat? Why do I just say that I identify as Disabled and collect benefits? Or how about that I identify as an American Indian and not have to pay taxes? See what I am getting at?

You have way more problems to deal with than this. It saddens me that with all of the stuff going on..being 20 trillion in debt, college/healthcare and medication costs through the roof, the middleclass getting squeezed by the rich AND poor, that THIS is the battle people want to fight over? You have a penis? Use the mens room. Vagina? Use the womans room. Have kids? Use the family bathroom. How is this such a difficult thing?
The bathroom portion of the bill is the smokescreen for the rest, which includes eliminating the right to sue for any type of discrimination in state courts. If you think that that's a bang-up idea, good for you.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:04 PM

789 posts, read 701,752 times
Quote:
What does it matter? We are talking about people who represent .00001% of the population.
Would you be okay if the state passed legislation specifically banning YOU from certain things? You know, because YOU are such a SMALL % of the population...

Do you see how asinine and hypocritical that sounds?

Old 05-12-2016, 01:13 PM

980 posts, read 1,187,234 times
Quote:

What about no lawsuit for discrimination of any kind at the state level? Mandatory state dictated minimum wage? For good measure what about not allowing any city or municipality to create their own laws on discrimination? Nah its about the bathrooms we get it.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:11 PM

4,913 posts, read 7,840,601 times
Caitlyn Jenner can't seem to make up her/his mind what he/she wants to be. I guess it depends on what ever given day as far as how we "identify".

Let's just have three bathrooms, shall we? Those that are truly female, and want OUR RIGHTS to privacy upheld get our own, those that are truly male and wantTHEIR RIGHTS to privacy upheld get their own, and everyone else can use the "GENDER NEUTRAL" bathrooms and just have a ball.

Sick of it.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:43 PM
NDL

3,121 posts, read 3,607,600 times
This is a sincere query, for sane minded people:

There is a representative in Eastern NC, who seeks to have a new bill that would preempt HB2. I ran through the bill...it would make it a discriminatory crime, for companies that employ more than one person, to prefer one person over another, because of ethnicity.

First thing that came to mind: cooks/chefs.

If I owned a Chinese restaurant, you can be damned sure that I would seek to hire Chinese cooks, because they are native to the cuisine they're making. This would apply to any type of cuisine, from any part of the world.

But it would be illegal, discriminatory, under the proposed measure.

Do you not see how this is getting very very silly?

Charlotte's bill was so broad based, that it could be applied in so many ways. It would have made discriminatory, any written material, that was "exclusive" on the basis of religion.

All of the major religions - Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, claim exclusivity to people who don't adhere to their tenets. Under Charlotte's bill, possessing the writings of the world's major religions would be a prosecutable offense.

Is that what people want?

Left leaning posters refuse to acknowledge the fallibility of Charlotte's law.

The State then drafts an extreme law, that prevents individuals who are legitimately discriminated against, from having the ability to address the perpetrators of legitimate crimes.

Right leaning posters refuse to acknowledge that people who are legitimately discriminated against, have a right to the means of addressing said discrimination.

Division runs deep, and is growing deeper every day.

The pendulum is swinging to the point of far extremes.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:18 PM

4,499 posts, read 2,952,576 times
Charlotte mayor says city won't compromise on LGBT law

Old 05-12-2016, 08:26 PM

21,852 posts, read 27,123,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
This is a sincere query, for sane minded people:

There is a representative in Eastern NC, who seeks to have a new bill that would preempt HB2. I ran through the bill...it would make it a discriminatory crime, for companies that employ more than one person, to prefer one person over another, because of ethnicity.

First thing that came to mind: cooks/chefs.

If I owned a Chinese restaurant, you can be damned sure that I would seek to hire Chinese cooks, because they are native to the cuisine they're making. This would apply to any type of cuisine, from any part of the world.

But it would be illegal, discriminatory, under the proposed measure.

Do you not see how this is getting very very silly?

Charlotte's bill was so broad based, that it could be applied in so many ways. It would have made discriminatory, any written material, that was "exclusive" on the basis of religion.

All of the major religions - Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, claim exclusivity to people who don't adhere to their tenets. Under Charlotte's bill, possessing the writings of the world's major religions would be a prosecutable offense.

Is that what people want?

Left leaning posters refuse to acknowledge the fallibility of Charlotte's law.

The State then drafts an extreme law, that prevents individuals who are legitimately discriminated against, from having the ability to address the perpetrators of legitimate crimes.

Right leaning posters refuse to acknowledge that people who are legitimately discriminated against, have a right to the means of addressing said discrimination.

Division runs deep, and is growing deeper every day.

The pendulum is swinging to the point of far extremes.
You're right. It's total insanity.

Early on I said that I didn't think, given the legislature, that Charlotte's ordinance had the best wording. Personally, I would have worded it somewhat differently & run it passed some lawyers. That said, there is no excuse for HB2. None, zero, zip, nada. The line that is coming out of Raleigh about safety is a bald-faced lie. If anything, strict adherence to HB2 makes women less safe. The inmates are running the asylum.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:56 PM

294 posts, read 170,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Caitlyn Jenner can't seem to make up her/his mind what he/she wants to be. I guess it depends on what ever given day as far as how we "identify".

Let's just have three bathrooms, shall we? Those that are truly female, and want OUR RIGHTS to privacy upheld get our own, those that are truly male and wantTHEIR RIGHTS to privacy upheld get their own, and everyone else can use the "GENDER NEUTRAL" bathrooms and just have a ball.

Sick of it.
How about three bathrooms......male female and people who believe the made up problems of the Republicans.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:02 AM

372 posts, read 562,112 times
If it violates someone's civil rights to ban someone from using the bathroom of the sex of what they identify with, then won't athletics become the same thing? If a 6'10" - 250lb man identifies himself as a woman, then what's to stop him/her from playing women's basketball? Or track? Women's tennis?
This just opens the door.
Yes, I know the main crux of the law is the lack of employee's rights for termination, but the media, Springsteen, PayPal, etc..., have made it a bathroom issue. I personally think this whole thing was a non-issue until Roberts decided to further her political goals, against the advice of some of her staff. I do agree the parts of the law regarding employee's rights should be repealed, but until you have the actual surgery, go to the bathroom determined by your birth certificate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or