U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2016, 09:31 AM

6,635 posts, read 4,596,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Lets get some facts straight here. The bill that failed was not agreed upon between, Roy, GOP Leaders, Business CEO's, and sports owners. Section 2 would still have prompted businesses to delay or cancel plans in NC. This is why the democrats voted against it. Also, the bill that failed was not a 6 month, but a 6+ month when the amendment passed later that night. If this was a bill with a clean real and no strings attached, and hence was voted down by democrats, the evil Democrat name calling would be valid. But that's not how it went down. Charlotte, while at first did not fully repeal their bill, repealed it fully and the GA's reply was to not honor the agreement.
From the WRAL article I posted previously:

He then offered to split the vote in two a straight-up vote on repealing House Bill 2 and a vote on the moratorium.

Why was this not acceptable? Isn't this what the Dems asked for? IMO, their refusal to vote on 2 seperate bills is just more political shenanigans. Just like when Charlotte refused to repeal their bill in May and then found a way forward in December. Very interesting timing. They were willing to let the state suffer for 8 additional months for political gain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 10:21 AM

3,679 posts, read 1,413,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
From the WRAL article I posted previously:

He then offered to split the vote in two a straight-up vote on repealing House Bill 2 and a vote on the moratorium.

Why was this not acceptable? Isn't this what the Dems asked for? IMO, their refusal to vote on 2 seperate bills is just more political shenanigans. Just like when Charlotte refused to repeal their bill in May and then found a way forward in December. Very interesting timing. They were willing to let the state suffer for 8 additional months for political gain.
I don't think you understand what happened. The vote was split in 2, one for a clean repeal and one for section 2. If either 1 did not pass, the entire bill would fail. Timing yes. Democrat conspiracy no. This was fortune 500 companies CEO's and sports teams owners who came to Roy asking a full repeal so major job and development announcements could be made in the new year.

Old 12-24-2016, 11:35 AM

501 posts, read 341,968 times
Quote:
I don't think you understand what happened. The vote was split in 2, one for a clean repeal and one for section 2. If either 1 did not pass, the entire bill would fail. Timing yes. Democrat conspiracy no. This was fortune 500 companies CEO's and sports teams owners who came to Roy asking a full repeal so major job and development announcements could be made in the new year.
What Fortune 500 companies specifically? Not that I am concerned with HB2, I just wish Mayor Roberts and company would have stayed in their shells.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:29 PM
NDL

3,188 posts, read 3,645,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post
I have many friends tht are Southern baptist, Jews, gays and the Southern baptist are the nicest, most genuine people you'll ever meet, and the ones that I know (and there are many) have absolutely no animosity towards anyone including gays.
Tisk tisk! You're using anecdotal evidence to support your argument. Better to use an academia produced "study," whose agenda driven outcome is predetermined.

Quote:
I spend lots of time in Boston where Southern people don't exist. They is more hostility there than you will ever see around here and I am not criticizing Bostonians. I am not talking about violence, just their vocalizations.
It isn't restricted to Boston.

The same could be said of neighborhoods within NYC.

And both scoff at the folly of Charlotte's "enlightened" intelligensia.

Like I said: had Klodfelter introduced some form of LGBT protections, I think the outcome would've been very different.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:07 PM

6,635 posts, read 4,596,063 times
Quote:
So why didn't they (Charlotte) agree to repeal their ordinance in exchange for Raleigh repealing theirs when asked in May? There had already been lots of damage at that point. So while there has certainly been political hay making on the part of Republicans, there has been the same by Democrats. I blame both for the damage to NC.

Old 12-24-2016, 04:37 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,009,590 times
Quote:
Since I can't address you personally without being suspended, I will just say that your liberal, ignorant stereotyping of religious people is despicable and I say that as a person that is not religious. I have many friends tht are Southern baptist, Jews, gays and the Southern baptist are the nicest, most genuine people you'll ever meet, and the ones that I know (and there are many) have absolutely no animosity towards anyone including gays. It isn't just religious people that are bothered by the gay and transgender. It is ostly the macho thing that is national and not restricted to any particular place. I spend lots of time in Boston where Southern people don't exist. They is more hostility there than you will ever see around here and I am not criticizing Bostonians. I am not talking about violence, just their vocalizations. Your classification of anyone because of their religion or where there come from is ignorant. You imply that nobody should have an opinion but people that think like you and if you think about it, it is people that think like you that are the accepting, ignorant ones. I am a regular guy and 99 percent of everyone don't give a crap about HB2. Get over your anger and prejudices.
Bless your heart. I know it sounds right to you.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:13 PM

3,114 posts, read 4,146,756 times
Yes, there are some loving and even pro-gay Southern Baptists individuals, even Pro-gay SBC churches and pastors. However, generally the SBC is about the most Antigay group in the entire nation in doctrine, practice, and rhetoric. So much so that they expel pastors and congregations that are progay. Whereas over 40 of American Muslims now support gay marriage, support among Southern Baptists is still very low.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:45 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,608 posts, read 741,110 times
OP from way back when...that is just how the world evolved. It is 2016, get with the program...

https://danielteolijr.files.wordpres...teoli-jr-6.jpg

Usually guys with a penis that think they are women are after men, so generally speaking the women are safe in the bathroom. Just carry some pepper spray if homophobic. Even if not homophobic, there is danger out there and Tabasco is a good safety precaution.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:50 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,608 posts, read 741,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takenotes View Post
Yup. Just as stupid as letting men use the women's bathroom

If they want to solve the problem take all gender restriction off bathrooms. Jus one big happy potty for all. BTW, if a transman wants to stand up and pee at a urinal get lady J.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....19mkXBADUL.jpg

Old 12-25-2016, 02:42 PM

501 posts, read 341,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Tisk tisk! You're using anecdotal evidence to support your argument. Better to use an academia produced "study," whose agenda driven outcome is predetermined.

So you are saying that it is better to believe something that you read than something that you experience.

It isn't restricted to Boston.

The same could be said of neighborhoods within NYC.

And both scoff at the folly of Charlotte's "enlightened" intelligensia.

Like I said: had Klodfelter introduced some form of LGBT protections, I think the outcome would've been very different.
I don't care about the outcome. I am just angry and embarrassed that Mayor Roberts and company started such a mindless problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or