U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-27-2016, 08:10 AM
 
501 posts, read 339,706 times
Reputation: 416

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Tisk tisk! You're using anecdotal evidence to support your argument. Better to use an academia produced "study," whose agenda driven outcome is predetermined.



It isn't restricted to Boston.

The same could be said of neighborhoods within NYC.

And both scoff at the folly of Charlotte's "enlightened" intelligensia.

Like I said: had Klodfelter introduced some form of LGBT protections, I think the outcome would've been very different.

So you are one of those that are influenced by the "academic" studies of our far left, professors that waste their time in workshops on "sensitivity" and "white privilege?" You learn your way and I will learn from education, travel, experience and "real life experiences." Perhaps your mind has been led astray by the influence of academic morons? By the way, I have advance degrees but from the pre-liberal agenda days. As I mentioned in a previous posting, I am not concerned about locker rooms and bathrooms. If people want to share and open their arms to transgender people in a pretentious manner, good for them. I just think that it is embarrassing that Charlotte has presented such a stupid argument that is not in existence anywhere else that I could find and isn't and hasn't ever been an issue. But, I didn't have a problem before and I won't in the future regardless. I don't care who uses the bathroom and I can't believe the Roberts, goons and radical special interest pests are the only that do. We all should move on to more important things. There are people around the world that want to destroy us. Let's focus on that and maybe stopping crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-27-2016, 11:47 AM
 
2,156 posts, read 2,355,735 times
Reputation: 3104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post
I don't care about the outcome. I am just angry and embarrassed that Mayor Roberts and company started such a mindless problem.

And I'm so embarrassed and angry that Republicans that we supported because they wanted to lessen governmental restrictions and restore more local control immediately kicked their campaign promises to the curb in order to legislate local control on Charlotte and other municipalities around the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2016, 11:56 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
8,723 posts, read 7,929,523 times
Reputation: 3698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post
HB2 was established because of the mayor and the CCC. Her uncoordinated changes were the "bathroom/locker room" situation. Yes, the NCGOP wrote HB2 as a result of Robert's attempting to revise city ordinances/laws bypassing legal requirements and not going through Raleigh which has "always" been the procedure. Saying tht the NCGOP screwed everything up shows a huge misunderstanding of the situation. It was all Mayor Roberts and the CCC. This issue was on the top of the list of things to do for Roberts. The mayor needs to find another job and take most of the CCC with her. You should go back and get the background on HB2 before you start the finger pointing. Roberts and the CCC should pay the $42K bill.


No, it's not a misunderstanding of the situation. There were a million ways for the folks in Raleigh to address the CCC ordinance. The WORST of which was to remove all ability to bring State level anti-discrimination suits, completely prohibit municipalities from passing any sort of anti-discrimination laws with higher thresholds than what the State laws have and to cap the min wage across the state! What does any of that have to do with bathroom/locker room "safety"?


The fact that you attempt to somehow lay this huge overreaction by the NCGOP at the doorstep of the Charlotte City Council is mystifying. Was the CCC ordinance the genesis of HB2, certainly. That is not the same as being at fault for it.


If I call you ugly and you burn your neighbors house down in a fit of rage because of that, I'm not at fault for your neighbor's house being burned down.

Last edited by hooligan; 12-27-2016 at 12:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2016, 11:59 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
8,723 posts, read 7,929,523 times
Reputation: 3698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post
N.C. is only a joke because the mayor of one of the top 20 largest cities in the U.S. tried to install foolishness into the already existing discrimination laws. North Carolina is fine. Some special interest individuals are morons.
Just like some 100 other cities (including Atlanta and Dallas) who have already installed that type of "foolishness" with absolutely zero increase in criminal activity associated with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2016, 01:47 PM
 
501 posts, read 339,706 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
And I'm so embarrassed and angry that Republicans that we supported because they wanted to lessen governmental restrictions and restore more local control immediately kicked their campaign promises to the curb in order to legislate local control on Charlotte and other municipalities around the state.
To be honest, I don't care about this. After the extreme nastiness of the democrats, anything could happen to the party and they do not have my sympathy. And, I would never consider myself a republican either, although I have tons of more respect for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2016, 03:25 PM
 
2,156 posts, read 2,355,735 times
Reputation: 3104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post
To be honest, I don't care about this. After the extreme nastiness of the democrats, anything could happen to the party and they do not have my sympathy. And, I would never consider myself a republican either, although I have tons of more respect for them.

How can you NOT care about more government intervention at any level. Pretty soon politicians will be telling us what color car we can buy. (Yes, I understand car color laws are an overreach in my thought processes, but 10 years ago did you think there would be legislation regarding public bathroom usage?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2016, 06:02 AM
 
501 posts, read 339,706 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
No, it's not a misunderstanding of the situation. There were a million ways for the folks in Raleigh to address the CCC ordinance. The WORST of which was to remove all ability to bring State level anti-discrimination suits, completely prohibit municipalities from passing any sort of anti-discrimination laws with higher thresholds than what the State laws have and to cap the min wage across the state! What does any of that have to do with bathroom/locker room "safety"?


The fact that you attempt to somehow lay this huge overreaction by the NCGOP at the doorstep of the Charlotte City Council is mystifying. Was the CCC ordinance the genesis of HB2, certainly. That is not the same as being at fault for it.


If I call you ugly and you burn your neighbors house down in a fit of rage because of that, I'm not at fault for your neighbor's house being burned down.
A city ordinance does not replace or override a state law without the courtesy of coordination. This stupid amendment was not coordinated with Raleigh. Democratic or republican doesn't matter, it was improperly handles. That shows that in Charlotte politics, the blind are led by the blind. If you don't realize that the whole basis of this issue is the added provisions about bathroom/locker room use for those that are ambiguous with their sexual status, you are in the blind.

As I said before, I don't care about this annoying situation other than it is embarrassing that the left can be so brainless. And, your analogy is senseless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2016, 06:06 AM
 
501 posts, read 339,706 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Just like some 100 other cities (including Atlanta and Dallas) who have already installed that type of "foolishness" with absolutely zero increase in criminal activity associated with it?
You posting makes no sense. What are you talking about? Are you aware that the proposed community LGBT bathrooms do not exist anywhere? The only places you will see the sign for the use of "all" is in places with only one restroom or places with only one toilet. FYI, there has been no criminal activity against LGBT in regards to restrooms here either. What is your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2016, 06:59 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
8,723 posts, read 7,929,523 times
Reputation: 3698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post
You posting makes no sense. What are you talking about? Are you aware that the proposed community LGBT bathrooms do not exist anywhere? The only places you will see the sign for the use of "all" is in places with only one restroom or places with only one toilet. FYI, there has been no criminal activity against LGBT in regards to restrooms here either. What is your point?


There are more than 100 cities in the country that have laws VERY similar to what the CCC enacted - i.e. transgendered citizens can use the bathroom/locker room of the sex they identify as.


Minneapolis, Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, Austin....


Google it. This is not about safety. Period.


That's my point. The NCGA used the gay/trans bogeyman, complete with the cries of "but think of the children!", to ram through a bunch of other silly legislation because they got their feelings hurt that the CCC would dare to defy them. Well, they are now reaping what they have sown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2016, 07:13 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
8,723 posts, read 7,929,523 times
Reputation: 3698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post
A city ordinance does not replace or override a state law without the courtesy of coordination...




Not necessarily true:


There are generally seen to be two main ways a state can grant authority to municipalities (towns, cities and villages.). The first way is called ĎDillonís Ruleí which asserts that unless the state specifically grants the town or city a specific power, then that power remains with the state government. The other way of organizing this is called ĎHome Ruleí and it allows much more autonomy to the municipalities to make local ordinances as long as they donít violate state or federal laws.

So, with Dillonís Rule, if an area of authority is unclear, power is presumed to the state and in Home Rule the municipality can feel free to pass rules on the matter. North Carolina has generally been seen as a Dillonís Rule state but recently that has been called into question. Many argue we are not clearly in either camp. In fact, that is a lot of what the fight between Charlotte and the state government over bathrooms was about. Charlotte passed an ordinance that would have required the cityís businesses to provide bathrooms based on identity rather than biological sex and the state said they didnít have authority to do that and passed the now famous HB2. The powers of a municipality are laid out in the charter of the city when it is created by the state. This, along with other state statutes, guides what the limit of their rule making authorities are.



Federal, State and Local Law - Differences in North Carolina | Law Office of Thomas, Ferguson, and Mullins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:22 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top