U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-28-2016, 10:06 AM
 
501 posts, read 339,477 times
Reputation: 416

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Not necessarily true:


There are generally seen to be two main ways a state can grant authority to municipalities (towns, cities and villages.). The first way is called ‘Dillon’s Rule’ which asserts that unless the state specifically grants the town or city a specific power, then that power remains with the state government. The other way of organizing this is called ‘Home Rule’ and it allows much more autonomy to the municipalities to make local ordinances as long as they don’t violate state or federal laws.

So, with Dillon’s Rule, if an area of authority is unclear, power is presumed to the state and in Home Rule the municipality can feel free to pass rules on the matter. North Carolina has generally been seen as a Dillon’s Rule state but recently that has been called into question. Many argue we are not clearly in either camp. In fact, that is a lot of what the fight between Charlotte and the state government over bathrooms was about. Charlotte passed an ordinance that would have required the city’s businesses to provide bathrooms based on identity rather than biological sex and the state said they didn’t have authority to do that and passed the now famous HB2. The powers of a municipality are laid out in the charter of the city when it is created by the state. This, along with other state statutes, guides what the limit of their rule making authorities are.



Federal, State and Local Law - Differences in North Carolina | Law Office of Thomas, Ferguson, and Mullins
Bottom line: City gov't can not arbitrarily over-ride or amend state laws without coordination and approval of that state. It is like federal vs state in regards to law, IE., A state that over-rides federal law can end up in a Civil War. A state creates its own laws on matters not mandated by the fed. The same applies to city vs state. The city makes ordinances on matter that are not mandated by state. If an amendment is neccessary, it is simply coordinated and approved (if sensible) by the state. But, you said that.

Bottom line: I don't care about this obstruction by the CCC and mayor except that it makes them look stupid to the ordinary, prudent, reasonable, individual and even many LGBT individuals that may not publicly announce it. Thanks for posting the information. I am sure that many don't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-28-2016, 11:42 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
8,723 posts, read 7,925,436 times
Reputation: 3698
Bottom line: our State lost millions of dollars in revenue and potential new jobs due to an extreme overreaction by the NCGA in response to a piddly city ordinance.


There, partisanship has been completely removed from the equation. The NCGA was trying to make a point, and they succeeded, they just didn't envision all of the ramifications of making that point. McCrory has a pretty firm grasp on it now, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2016, 11:00 AM
 
501 posts, read 339,477 times
Reputation: 416
Yea, PayPal (questionable). The gay owner of PayPal is a huge Trump supporter and likely didn't come to Charlotte in order to go to a place where it is cheaper to operate. Basketball tournaments? No big loss to me or waiters/waitresses. Bruce Springsteen can go suck one. He didn't show up because enough tickets couldn't be sold. Sorry poor losers about Hillary and HB2. Get over them. Without Hillary life is certainly much better. With HB2, there will be absolutely no difference in anything. Let life go on and be happy. I am.

As disappointing as it is for those that detest HB2, sorry that your dreams and wishes for pull-outs and business loses. They just weren't meant to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2016, 11:16 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
8,723 posts, read 7,925,436 times
Reputation: 3698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post
Yea, PayPal (questionable). The gay owner of PayPal is a huge Trump supporter and likely didn't come to Charlotte in order to go to a place where it is cheaper to operate. Basketball tournaments? No big loss to me or waiters/waitresses. Bruce Springsteen can go suck one. He didn't show up because enough tickets couldn't be sold. Sorry poor losers about Hillary and HB2. Get over them. Without Hillary life is certainly much better. With HB2, there will be absolutely no difference in anything. Let life go on and be happy. I am.

As disappointing as it is for those that detest HB2, sorry that your dreams and wishes for pull-outs and business loses. They just weren't meant to be.


Not sure where Hillary or Trump figure into NC politics.




So, we agree that HB2 has cost the State millions of dollars, but you're not directly impacted (other than taxes) so you "don't care". Got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2016, 06:26 AM
 
501 posts, read 339,477 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Not sure where Hillary or Trump figure into NC politics.




So, we agree that HB2 has cost the State millions of dollars, but you're not directly impacted (other than taxes) so you "don't care". Got it.
I will only reply to your last statement. I am directly impacted when Mayor Roberts and company try to make the state look foolish by lying about all of the industry not coming here, etc. because of the HB2. People that don't understand the ridiculousness of the issue don't understand that it was a foolish move by the city government. It is embarrassing that one of the most liberal/open cities I have ever lived in is libeled as an ignorant gay bashing hick town because of the above. I eluded to Hillary as she is the leader of the left and special interest groups that support self serving agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2016, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,717 posts, read 9,341,825 times
Reputation: 5229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post
I will only reply to your last statement. I am directly impacted when Mayor Roberts and company try to make the state look foolish by lying about all of the industry not coming here, etc. because of the HB2. People that don't understand the ridiculousness of the issue don't understand that it was a foolish move by the city government. It is embarrassing that one of the most liberal/open cities I have ever lived in is libeled as an ignorant gay bashing hick town because of the above. I eluded to Hillary as she is the leader of the left and special interest groups that support self serving agenda.
Ummm.... Mayor Roberts move was extremely liberal. The reaction to it by the GA is what made NC as a whole look like a gay bashing state.

Charlotte is still viewed as a liberal city when it comes to gay issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2016, 01:22 PM
 
501 posts, read 339,477 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Ummm.... Mayor Roberts move was extremely liberal. The reaction to it by the GA is what made NC as a whole look like a gay bashing state.

Charlotte is still viewed as a liberal city when it comes to gay issues.
I know that Mayor Roberts is "extremely liberal." Only an extremely liberal person would be only concerned in special interest and not the general public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2016, 06:14 PM
 
221 posts, read 105,103 times
Reputation: 345
Feature me this: if all Charlotte "lost" in the way of the b-ball and other sports venues is such a "big, expen$ive, deal" why have I not heard about ANY jurisdiction(s) clamoring about "winning" (I.e., taking in) the same b-ball championships?

Any chance it is because they are not all that great a loss at all (but in reality a huge expense, requiring subsidization)?

And I believe (as do most, I'll wager) that the mainstream media has NC "losing millions" about as accurate as they have gotten anything else "right" in the last election cycle.

Definitely a source of info to be largely ignored . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2016, 06:10 AM
 
501 posts, read 339,477 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakefront16 View Post


And I believe (as do most, I'll wager) that the mainstream media has NC "losing millions" about as accurate as they have gotten anything else "right" in the last election cycle.

Definitely a source of info to be largely ignored . . .

I agree. We hear about N.C. losing millions and the grave economical impact yet every day huge companies move into Charlotte and the population growth continues to outpace other cities. The Charlotte Disturber is a piece of crap that is only good for the crossword puzzle and it certainly isn't worth the outrageous price they charge for "nothing." I find it hard to believe that basketball teams and players are concerned that a person of an ambiguous sex identification may or may not be comfortable taking a crap in the next stall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2016, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,717 posts, read 9,341,825 times
Reputation: 5229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakefront16 View Post
Feature me this: if all Charlotte "lost" in the way of the b-ball and other sports venues is such a "big, expen$ive, deal" why have I not heard about ANY jurisdiction(s) clamoring about "winning" (I.e., taking in) the same b-ball championships?

Any chance it is because they are not all that great a loss at all (but in reality a huge expense, requiring subsidization)?

And I believe (as do most, I'll wager) that the mainstream media has NC "losing millions" about as accurate as they have gotten anything else "right" in the last election cycle.

Definitely a source of info to be largely ignored . . .
"Winning" a chance to host a championship isnt a national news story. No one in the Pac 12 or Big 10 cared about who host the "AAC" championship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top