Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 04:39 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Most of us agree that HB2 was just stupid, but what about the Charlotte law? Charlotte allowed convincing and not-so-convincing trans people to go where they wanted to. Safety of women and children isn't the real issue. My question is how come a trans woman (who still looks very manly) gets to sit down in a stall next to women? Those women are NOT unsafe in that situation, but are they comfortable in that situation? I can honestly see a line of angry women waiting outside public restrooms for the manly trans-woman to exit.
So, where to you propose that this "manly trans-woman" go to the bathroom? The Men's Room?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 04:44 PM

294 posts, read 232,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
No, the issue is basically the fact that the ordinance, with respect to the bathroom issue, was legislated based on a select group's comfort. However, it totally alienated the comforts of others who don't represent that selected group. Which is why the ordinance shouldn't have stood to begin with. Unfortunately, the law that countered it is just as flawed.

It was legislated to appease the tea party/republicans upset with the fact that people can now marry the person they want. What a concept......equal rights for all.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:00 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
So, where to you propose that this "manly trans-woman" go to the bathroom? The Men's Room?
Honestly, I don't think there should be a mens/ladies room any more at this point.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:35 PM

294 posts, read 232,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Honestly, I don't think there should be a mens/ladies room any more at this point.

Why is it not an issue in other states except where Republicans turn it into one????

Old 04-27-2016, 06:49 PM

545 posts, read 594,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwuno View Post
It was legislated to appease the tea party/republicans upset with the fact that people can now marry the person they want. What a concept......equal rights for all.
And don't forget it was designed to get stupid people roused up in the sticks and "Mayberry", so that those politicians protecting "family values" will receive their votes in November!

Old 04-27-2016, 07:14 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwuno View Post
Why is it not an issue in other states except where Republicans turn it into one????
This was a non-issue in Charlotte for the most part and should've stayed that way. Now that it is an issue, I see very few solutions. In my opinion, it's probably time for our society to move towards 100% unisex bathrooms. The more I think about this, the more men/women restrooms seem like a 1950-ish concept that has lived well past its prime.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:24 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,095 times
The biggest issue for me having some time to reflect on this is the "slight of hand" trick the NC Republicans pulled. We're all talking about the Bathroom part of HB2 and total missed that suing for discrimination at that state level is now impossible - it has to go to Federal court. There are existing cases that are now total invalid at the state level, and possibly may be impossible to litigate at the Federal level since the window of time to bring it to Federal court is shorter than it was at the state level.

So my opinion has changed - HB2 is BAD, very BAD.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:29 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancenc View Post
And don't forget it was designed to get stupid people roused up in the sticks and "Mayberry", so that those politicians protecting "family values" will receive their votes in November!
The whole thing is a ruse to get our attention while congress votes itself more pay raises.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:03 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
The biggest issue for me having some time to reflect on this is the "slight of hand" trick the NC Republicans pulled. We're all talking about the Bathroom part of HB2 and total missed that suing for discrimination at that state level is now impossible - it has to go to Federal court. There are existing cases that are now total invalid at the state level, and possibly may be impossible to litigate at the Federal level since the window of time to bring it to Federal court is shorter than it was at the state level.

Yup, the bathrooms are just a big smokescreen.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:29 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,373,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post

To say nothing of the complete PROHIBITION of cities and municipalities to enact their own anti-discrimination legislation as they see fit, the capping of the minimum wage statewide, etc.

The bathroom portion of HB2 was the least awful thing about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte