U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 03:34 PM

34 posts, read 63,389 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My family is considering a move from LI to Mooresville. Our friends moved down there last year from up here and they are very happy. A little more background: DH is a recently retired police officer, I work for a home improvement retailer as a supervisor. I can transfer. I may or I may just resign. We are both in our late 40s. In addition to the 7 year old we have a 22 year old who is a T.A. at the same Developmental Preschool that our 7 year old attended who will be going to grad school to get her Masters in Teaching and we have a 19 year old who will be staying up here to finish college. We visited for a day last Summer then spent 5 days in December and we just came back from a week long visit. We have been told that MGSD schools are better. Now arguably this is subjective as the people telling us this have kids in that District.

We visited 2 of the three elementary schools and the class that she would most likely be initially placed into and it was a combined 2nd and 3rd grade class and most of the kids appeared to be lower functioning than she is currently. Her current class here follows the exact same curriculum as the mainstream 2nd grade classes, she gets mainstreamed for specials and she is doing well academically. It is important for her to have models and that means having kids who are slightly higher functioning than her in the class.
The schools are very nice but getting a response from anyone at either district is EXTREMELY difficult and it is frustrating. Even after we met with the principal, we don't receive responses to follow up emails or calls and have not received any response either by phone or email from anyone at ISS.
Many people have told me to stay here. And as much as we want to move we WILL stay if that turns out to be what is best for her. People say our schools are so much better but from what I have seen on schooldigger.com, our scores are not really that great in NYS as a whole....they are pretty atrocious, actually, on average state wide, and district wide we are even with and sometimes below the scores of MGSD. BUT the special needs offerings may be better suited for her here vs the Exceptional Children's programs in Mooresville.
I would appreciate any information about the schools, and the EC program especially. There really is not a lot of recent relevant info that I have been able to find.

Thanks in advance,
Elise

Last edited by logansam54; 02-23-2016 at 03:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 11:32 AM

51 posts, read 43,108 times
My kids go to Lake Norman Elementary (2nd & 4th grade) and we moved from OH 4 yrs ago. I honestly think Lake Norman schools are just as good or better than Mooresville. I do not know all the specifics for special needs, but my daughther does have an high functioning, austic boy in her normal 4th grade class and they provide a teachers assisstant to help him but he does the same regular 4th grade work and I know his parents love that he is in a regular class.

The one issue I do like Mooresville vs Lake Norman is that it is its own school disctrict and not part of Iredell-Statesville schools like Lake Norman is. Alot of our tax dollars go to help the north to help supplement some of their costs and we have more snow day cancellations becasue of the north part of the county schools.

I would recommend visiting the schools personally before you make your decisison. I do know for Lake Norman that Lake Norman Elem and Woodland Heights Elem schools are the best ones.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the reply. We did hear back from ISS and immediately they were more helpful and seemingly more prepared for kids on an IEP. We forwarded her IEP from last year as we haven't had our meeting yet for next year. The woman we spoke to offered to speak to any of her teachers or her Speech Therapist to get a better picture of how they can best place her in their schools. I know there is another poster on this forum who has a kid with an IEP and I may PM her for more info. Thanks again!

Elise

Last edited by logansam54; 02-27-2016 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 03-08-2016, 08:16 AM

2 posts, read 1,238 times
logansam54 Where in LI are you moving from? We are moving to Mooresville from LI in May/June. We looked into both the Lake Norman and Mooresville Graded schools and decided on Mooresville Graded. I cannot speak on the special needs programs, but MG just seemed like a better fit for us. We really could have gone either way since they are both good districts, but I agree that you should visit in person before making the decision. Good luck!

Old 03-19-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlefobbs View Post
logansam54 Where in LI are you moving from? We are moving to Mooresville from LI in May/June. We looked into both the Lake Norman and Mooresville Graded schools and decided on Mooresville Graded. I cannot speak on the special needs programs, but MG just seemed like a better fit for us. We really could have gone either way since they are both good districts, but I agree that you should visit in person before making the decision. Good luck!
We are moving from Levittown. We have ruled out MGSD as I was not happy with the programs or administration re: EC services. They seemed to be doing the bare minimum. My friends have kids in gen ed classes, however, and are very happy. They moved there from Deer Park. The director of EC at ISS has been very helpful and we will be returning to Mooresville at the end of next month to visit some of the elementary schools in that district. Of course ALL the houses we like now are in MGSD, whereas when we were looking in MGSD a lot of the stuff we liked was in the other district!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or