U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2016, 10:06 AM

4,093 posts, read 10,149,475 times

Advertisements

Any projected new schools for the South Charlotte area?

I read one article saying they are looking at building a K-8 school at the old Golf Links Dr. area to accommodate the new Waverly sub-division. I don't know if that is still in the works or not.

But between that huge development (500 new homes between apartments and homes/townhomes) and all the other new developments going in, I don't know where the kids will go to school!

Anyone know any updates on building projects for schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 10:18 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,383,823 times
Who

CMS TOP 20
(Not included: $21 million in smaller projects at several unspecified schools.)

1. Build a replacement for Collinswood Language Academy (K-8) at the Tyvola Road site that used to house Smith Language Academy. $40 million.

2. Build a new elementary school in east Charlotte to relieve Windsor Park, Winterfield and Idlewild. $26 million.

3. Expand and renovate Harding High cafeteria and gym. $17 million.

4. Build a classroom addition at Marie G. Davis Military/Leadership Academy (K-12) to replace 1950s buildings. $20 million.

5. Build a new high school in south Mecklenburg County to relieve South Meck and Ardrey Kell. $98 million.

6. Build a replacement school for Montclaire Elementary. $26 million.

7. Renovate and replace West Mecklenburg High gym. $10 million.

8. Build a K-8 language immersion magnet school on the Smith Language Academy site. $40 million.

9. Build a new elementary school in southeast Mecklenburg County to relieve Bain, Lebanon Road and Piney Grove. $26 million.

10. Renovate Waddell Language Academy (K-8) to turn it into a magnet high school.

11. Build offices (location not specified) to house the CMS Family Center that will move out of the Smith site. $15 million.

12. Build a classroom addition at Sharon Elementary. $7 million.

13. Build a new elementary school in northeast Charlotte to relieve Hidden Valley, Grier and Newell. $26 million.

14. Renovate and replace classroom buildings at West Charlotte High. $10 million.

15. Build a replacement school for Shamrock Gardens Elementary. $26 million.

16. Build a replacement school for Briarwood Elementary. $26 million.

17. Renovate and replace classroom buildings at South Mecklenburg High. $11 million.

18. Renovate and reopen the former J.T. Williams Middle School, possibly as a Montessori middle/high magnet. $15.5 million.

19. Build a new K-8 language magnet in northern Mecklenburg County. $40 million.

20. Build a new “specialty facility” for students with disabilities at the former Statesville Road site. $18 million.

Read more here: Who

Old 02-26-2016, 05:33 PM

110 posts, read 103,750 times
Keep in mind this is over 10 years!!! So don't look for them anytime soon!

Old 02-26-2016, 08:11 PM

2,147 posts, read 3,659,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Any projected new schools for the South Charlotte area?

I read one article saying they are looking at building a K-8 school at the old Golf Links Dr. area to accommodate the new Waverly sub-division. I don't know if that is still in the works or not.

But between that huge development (500 new homes between apartments and homes/townhomes) and all the other new developments going in, I don't know where the kids will go to school!

Anyone know any updates on building projects for schools?
I think the Golf Links school is a Charter school but could be wrong

Old 03-11-2016, 08:49 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,149,475 times
Thanks for the info. Looks like I asked just a couple of days after the article. Good timing.

I still don't think it will be enough, particularly since most of what is listed is renovations and not new construction or additions.

It will be interesting to see.

And I would be curious about the school to relieve South Meck and Ardrey Kell and what location they are considering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or