U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 08:38 AM

2,143 posts, read 2,613,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
How would you recommend a crime like this be prevented? Seems impossible.

Increasing patrolling sounds like a good idea. What's the alternative?
Anyone that is set on committing a crime will certainly do so.

I think having more of a uniformed police presence in the actual mall along with car patrols outside would deter some. When the police want to impact a neighborhood or community they step up foot patrols and build relationships, I could see a similar thing in a mall. Of course you basically just move the criminal element from one place of easy opportunity to somewhere else, not really solving anything but the immediate issue.

Has the mall itself actually done anything to make their property safer? They can hire as many off-duty officers as they'd like but are they waiting on CMPD to come in and police their private property with minimal expense to themselves?

Old 03-02-2016, 08:49 AM

5,872 posts, read 7,708,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
To clarify, he was an off-duty officer who happened to be at the mall at the right time with his weapon. To me that is not at all stepping up patrols, it's getting lucky.
I had actually asked that question when it happened because I was confused by the phrase "off-duty", but I thought I read that he was hired to be there.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:30 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,385,493 times
Each situation is different for sure and I think people should accept that there will always be an element of crime at some level in any society. If we put in controls and pay for monitoring of everyone it would take away basic freedoms for many at the expense of taxes and privacy for all.

Charlotte is a large city and there is going to be a headline every single day to latch on to if anyone wants to. They could paint a picture of an absolutely lawless city with rampant crime in every corner of the city. There are some people who already believe this. They live scared. I feel sorry for them. There is crime in sleepy towns too.

The "northlake mall area" is growing every day as I hear it referenced. The recent car robbery is awful, and I don't condone that sort of crime and hope the jerk is caught, but it is not indicative of a breakdown of control on the mall's behalf. This sort of thing could, and does, happen at all kinds of malls/outlets/parking lots all over the country. A month ago there were more robberies at Southpark than Northlake. Does this mean Northlake is safer? I wouldn't argue that. But if sensational headlines were latched on to each time and the public constantly was fed fear to avoid a place, it certainly would grow a reputation.

The fear of crime on this message board is so much more inflated than it needs to be. Being anonymous provides a way for the bigot cowards to spread hate without social shame. I'm glad that these sorts of opinions expressed in public are typically shouted down.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:35 AM

545 posts, read 459,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInTraffic View Post
This mall and surrounding area continues to erode.
Sad.

Family robbed at gunpoint outside Northlake Mall - | WBTV Charlotte

And in 2009, there were two armed robberies at Southpark Mall...

Second robbery near SouthPark Mall reported - | WBTV Charlotte

Old 03-02-2016, 01:00 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,853,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancenc View Post

Yes. They're all vying to become the next Eastland. They should add a CMPD post next to the mall to stop all this madness.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:08 PM
NDL

3,146 posts, read 3,618,658 times
Quote:
Charlotte is a large city and there is going to be a headline every single day to latch on to if anyone wants to. They could paint a picture of an absolutely lawless city with rampant crime in every corner of the city.
Here's where your argument about perception can play a role.

If I was in Manhattan, these types of crimes would be expected, maybe even accepted. Manhattan is a big city; it's expected.

Yet there are parts of Charlotte that are rural, and the majority of it's suburban.

The "expectation" is that big city crime shouldn't happen, or is unacceptable, in a rural or suburban area.

Plus...Charlotte is woefully underpoliced. I think the lack of a police presence fuels the concerns about crime taking hold.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:51 AM

141 posts, read 105,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancenc View Post

You mean robbing by gunpoint in the rich part of town happens? Lies all lies. I don't believe it. lol.

It is very easy folks be aware of who is around you. Walk fast. Give everyone a dirty look in the park lot like you want to kill them if they even look at you again. Keep your space between people at ALL times. When all else fails. throw them your purse or wallet it is not worth your life or your families! If some thugs are eyeing you it is not to say hi and they are not selling girl scout cookies! If something looks bad get the hell out of there FAST!

Old 03-04-2016, 02:34 AM

2,341 posts, read 4,047,206 times
We did pretty good business selling thin mints at Northlake this year... Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshnc View Post
You mean robbing by gunpoint in the rich part of town happens? Lies all lies. I don't believe it. lol.

It is very easy folks be aware of who is around you. Walk fast. Give everyone a dirty look in the park lot like you want to kill them if they even look at you again. Keep your space between people at ALL times. When all else fails. throw them your purse or wallet it is not worth your life or your families! If some thugs are eyeing you it is not to say hi and they are not selling girl scout cookies! If something looks bad get the hell out of there FAST!

Old 03-09-2016, 03:57 AM

71 posts, read 66,070 times
The article gives no description of the suspects. Anybody???

Old 03-10-2016, 06:32 AM

229 posts, read 230,126 times
Quote:
How would you recommend a crime like this be prevented? Seems impossible.

What's the alternative?
How many people have been robbed at gun point in the parking lot of an NRA convention? A martial arts school? A police station?

The point is, criminals are lazy, they commit crimes in places where people cannot defend themselves or wont fight back.

I always cringe when I am in a "Gun Free Zone" because I know they only people armed are the bad guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or