Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:18 PM

95 posts, read 286,564 times

Advertisements

I am really interested in what people have to say about Gastonia. There is a chance that my husband will get a job with a government agency in Mecklenburg County and with the cut in pay he will have to take, the only affordable area for us will probably be Gaston County. We are coming from California but don't consider ourselves to be Yankees. My ancestors lived in Cleveland County for 70 years before moving west. On one of my family's trips to NC we find where they lived along the First Broad River. A really neat experience. We haven't spent any time in Gastonia. Just traveled through on the way to Charlotte.

Anyway, with a 30 % cut in pay that we will have to take, Gaston County/Gastonia will be where we can afford to live. We've thought about Kings Mountain but are not sure how close to Mecklenburg County he will be required to live due to being on call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 04:23 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post
Wow, you must live in a different Gastonia than I do.

We just bought a house here and are quite happy. (We are about 3 minutes outside of the city of Gastonia, but I drive and shop in Gastonia all the time.) Our neighborhood is middle class, a few homes and yards could use some sprucing up but mostly it's tidy. We're sort of out in the country, so it's quiet ('cept for the frogs and night bugs) and dark at night. We considered Yorkchester because we love old homes and the "urban vibe" but decided to go for the lure of a large yard (1.2 acres). There's no Starbucks nearby, but there is a great espresso and coffee house about 10 minutes away. Starbucks is overrated anyway, their coffee mostly tastes burnt. :-)

I can choose from BiLo, Food Lion (a brand new one or an older one), a 24 hours Harris Teeter, for grocery shopping nearby. There's a library, several drugstores, dry cleaners, gas stations, several fish camps, etc. etc. Folks seem friendly and courteous, and I am so pleased to hear a familiar North Carolina "mountain country" accent that I became accustomed to in Franklin, NC. When out on country roads, I still get and give the "hands on the wheel wave and slight nod" to oncoming drivers. I wish I could here and not have to go into Charlotte at all. Until then, my strategy is get in/out of Uptown for job, do errands on the way home, and live life in Gaston County and Gastonia.
I completely agree. I lived in Gastonia for years (my parents still do) and enjoyed living there. Great area and great people. Most areas of town are nice and it has the best road/grid system in the Charlotte area. Most who make disparing comments have no first-hand knowledge, just stereotyping. Though Concord (where I live now due to wife's job) is fast coming, there are far more run-down areas here. As with any area, be careful where you buy and just take a few hours one day and ride around and see for yourself.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:26 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynsmom View Post
I'm assuming you aren't entirely serious. In the event that you are, Gastonia is at best a suburb of Charlotte. Nothing against it but it wouldn't be growing but for its proximity to Charlotte. Have you given it a good look? G-town is a sweet southern town but it isn't fair to its natives to even try to compare it to the second biggest financial center in the United States of America! That said, I will be at Mary Jo's Fabrics on Tuesday.
Actually, almost no town in the Charlotte metro area would be growing fast if it wasn't for its proximity to Charlotte. That really goes for nearly any suburb anywhere.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:34 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,346 times
Quote:
I am really interested in what people have to say about Gastonia. There is a chance that my husband will get a job with a government agency in Mecklenburg County and with the cut in pay he will have to take, the only affordable area for us will probably be Gaston County. We are coming from California but don't consider ourselves to be Yankees. My ancestors lived in Cleveland County for 70 years before moving west. On one of my family's trips to NC we find where they lived along the First Broad River. A really neat experience. We haven't spent any time in Gastonia. Just traveled through on the way to Charlotte.

Anyway, with a 30 % cut in pay that we will have to take, Gaston County/Gastonia will be where we can afford to live. We've thought about Kings Mountain but are not sure how close to Mecklenburg County he will be required to live due to being on call.
Just curious...how did you decide on Gastonia/Gaston County? How much will you be able to spend? I think the average home price in Charlotte is around $260,000. There are some very nice, affordable homes in Gastonia but some areas are just as, or more, expensive than the average priced homes in Charlotte/Mecklenburg County.

That being said I think freindnc, abcornwell and NC~Mom(below) have summarized Gastonia well. Here are some other threads about Gastonia and Gaston County. Yes I have some extra time on my hands this morning!

Gastonia
McAdenville/Mount Holly/Belmont
Gaston County
Gastonia and Gaston County Schools
Moving to Gastonia
Belmont? Mt Holly?
Any thoughts on Gastonia?

Last edited by NCgirl; 03-10-2008 at 07:09 AM..

Old 03-10-2008, 06:44 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,082,656 times
I've lived in the area almost my entire life, Gastonia is no different than any other town...it has it's good and it's bad...I think the good out-weighs the bad....there are plenty of shopping and eating establishments, great parks, museums...etc. It's just a regular southern town.
Some people will be bitter no matter where they live and trash talk our area...and the door swings both ways.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:16 PM

28 posts, read 84,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robster View Post
Geeze louise those stupid yankees are spending $250K for a 1700 sq. ft. bungalow in McAdenville just cause it sez Saussey Burbank.. and there isn't a Starbucks nearby!
FYI, I've heard from a good source that Starbucks is in negotiations to open a store in McAdenville.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:04 PM

68 posts, read 284,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecandymancan View Post
FYI, I've heard from a good source that Starbucks is in negotiations to open a store in McAdenville.
Starbucks is opening in the redevelopment of Gaston Mall, not McAdenville from what I know. Also, we look to gain a McAllisters Deli.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:29 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,980,130 times
[quote=robster;3082079]Gastonia is a redneck mill town with a high crime rate and run down houses and most people here don't even wear shoes,they wear flip flops year round!
That said maybe the yankees will stay away and just keep gobbling up Belmont so the Lavechia family and the Stowes get even richer. or better yet stay in Union County where it takes 50 minutes to drive 1 mile! and those scattered built houses can all burn at the same time!!

Geeze louise those stupid yankees are spending $250K for a 1700 sq. ft. bungalow in McAdenville just cause it sez Saussey Burbank.. and there isn't a Starbucks nearby!

So plez keep spreading the word, Gastonia is still the murder capital of the world,murders per capita since the 1970's.. so the Hummer driving rich stay away!

I'm a Gastonia native and a former lint head who has to work in "SIN CITY" Charlotte and "Traffic City" Union County. So be careful for what you wish for!!!!
All the yankees have already bought up every square inch along the Catawba River and the Gods are angry,that's why their docks are sitting in the mud at their $2million-dollar river cabins,hehehe!!

Cheers to all,even the Yankees!

That was funny!!! I have to ask...What is a lint head??

Old 03-14-2008, 07:04 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
[quote=Doorway;3135293]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robster View Post
I have to ask...What is a lint head??
A person who works in a textile factory is fondly referred to as a "lint head."

Old 03-14-2008, 07:04 AM

330 posts, read 1,035,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
That was funny!!! I have to ask...What is a lint head??
My research indicates that this is a derogatory term for one who works in a cotton mill.

And despite what that poster indicated, I think the prices of the Saussy homes in McAdenville are quite reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte