Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:19 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,488,479 times

Advertisements

Do you have children? The schools should be a strong consideration for you if you do.

I am not going to comment further. I tend to get lambasted when I do.

Check it out for yourself and see if it is the right place for you.

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 11:46 AM

569 posts, read 1,409,448 times
I love the Toyota commercial for Gastonia. It goes something like this: "Toyota of Gastoni-ya it il run up on-ya". Now that's marketing!

Old 03-14-2008, 07:08 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,981,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
My research indicates that this is a derogatory term for one who works in a cotton mill.

And despite what that poster indicated, I think the prices of the Saussy homes in McAdenville are quite reasonable.
Thank you. I would not have guessed that. I was thinking of laundry and dryers.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:21 PM

14 posts, read 36,093 times
Charlotte is a pretty big city, it can take you 40 minutes to go from north to south or vice versa. Where is your husband's job going to be? Gastonia is to the west but if he is working further south, you can look at South Carolina as well. Lots of people live in York county SC and work in Charlotte. There are also counties in NC to the south, east and north that may actually be more convenient depending on where his job will be.

I don't have much to say about Gastonia except to say it's probably not your only option. Definitely visit the area and other areas around Charlotte before you make your decision.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:06 PM

5 posts, read 10,258 times
Driving from Gastonia to Charlotte for work is pretty reasonable. I live in Gastonia and teach at 2 different schools on the west side of Charlotte. Both schools are only a 30 minute drive. I have many friends (teachers) who live in Charlotte and easily drive 30 or more minutes to get to work. The closer you are to I 85, the easier the commute. And it depends on where you work in Charlotte. Kings Mt. is quite a commute from Charlotte.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:18 PM

237 posts, read 298,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolynpt View Post
(LOL)That's the only weird thing about $$$ houses; they're all built along that muddy, yucky Catawba Creek.

Plus, there is NO STARBUCK"s anywhere! Guess there's no place for it in Gastonia. I live near Belmont, and do a littlebit of shopping in Franklin Sq, but mostly go down to Pineville, as there's definitly more stuff/more variety to do.
mickey d's makes much better coffee than starbucks. i dont see the rationale behind wanting a stahbucks near your home: i mean, dont people know how to brew coffee anymore?
when on the road i buy coffee all the time, but why would i want to have a stahbucks near my home? should we start a starbucks thread or what?

Old 06-01-2008, 08:19 AM
jp9

1 posts, read 2,838 times
I want to buy in the York Chester area.
Has anyone experienced crime there? I will be away from
home most of the summer months and wonder if the ADT alarms are worth the investment or if the Gastonia police will even respond to those calls.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:26 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp9 View Post
I want to buy in the York Chester area.
Has anyone experienced crime there? I will be away from
home most of the summer months and wonder if the ADT alarms are worth the investment or if the Gastonia police will even respond to those calls.
Hi your questions regarding York Chester will be better answered in the York and Lancaster Counties forum. And I dont live in Gastonia so I cant answer your other question.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:34 AM

616 posts, read 1,751,262 times
York-Chester is a historic urban neighborhood in Gastonia. It is in between S York Street and S Chester Street (more or less).
Economic Development - Quality of Life - Area Neighborhoods - York Chester Historical District

It might be a good idea to call the police department and ask about the area.
City of Gastonia - City Services - Police Department - Home Page

Here is an interesting article from April 2008 Charlotte bserver about e neighborhood next to York-Chester:
Charlotte Observer | 04/20/2008 | Will Oakland reach its potential? (http://tinyurl.com/49jm3b - broken link)

Could you have someone house sit for those 3 months?

Old 06-01-2008, 09:38 AM

616 posts, read 1,751,262 times
Default The commute is decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattiJoA View Post
Driving from Gastonia to Charlotte for work is pretty reasonable. I live in Gastonia and teach at 2 different schools on the west side of Charlotte. Both schools are only a 30 minute drive. I have many friends (teachers) who live in Charlotte and easily drive 30 or more minutes to get to work. The closer you are to I 85, the easier the commute. And it depends on where you work in Charlotte. Kings Mt. is quite a commute from Charlotte.
Yup, the drive into Uptown is decent. I take 74 (Wilkinson) and have never encountered a backup, or big accident that stopped traffic, etc. That's why I don't take I-85, but maybe I should try that a few times.

Why am I saying this? :-) No, stay away from Gaston County! Nothing to see here! Head to Mecklenburg, to the east! Bwahahaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte