U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2016, 10:54 AM

367 posts, read 556,371 times

Advertisements

The neighboring house (which is pretty close to mine- 20ft) is pretty run down. The owner doesn't live there and has had issues keeping it maintained.

Since we've lived here in late 2013 I've seen the owner 3-4 times when she's come by to check on the house and get mail. One time the house was broken into and it took her months to replace the window.

One thing is being an eyesore, but what worries me now (especially after the high winds last week) is tree(s) that are growing into the house.

You can hear a constant squeaking (sounds like an old door) where the tree is against the roof. I'm starting to worry that the next strong storm will bring that tree down and our house is close enough to get hit.

The owner has causally (oddly too) mentioned that she has some financial hardships and wants to fix up the house and sell/rent it. She even thinks she can get more than tax value for it... but that's another story.

I'm curious to hear what others would do about this... should I reach out to the owner about this? I know she can't afford to have the tree removed. But I need to CYA and if something happens, I want to make sure she's legally responsible for any damage that happens to my property.

Tree in front yard:

Tree in backyard (away from my house):

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 11:13 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,378,473 times
Ideally, you could come up with a solution and present it from a perspective of helping vs. controlling or accusing and work together to have the tree taken down.

Is the tree healthy? If the tree comes down onto your house and is just an act of God, it will not be their fault and you will have to pay for repairs. If the tree is dying and you can prove it is a hazard and warn the neighbor ahead of time, you may win a case. But it sounds like an awful lot of effort and time can be saved by coming up with a way to bring the tree down without going through a lawsuit. The first step is convincing your neighbor the tree should come down. The agreeing on a plan to do so cheaply. In the event of a lawsuit if the tree fell on your home, if your neighbor is poor you may not get any money. And it's awful to have a bad relationship with a neighbor that could do harm/retaliate in any way and make your living situation a pain.

Do you have any friends or connections that are familiar with cutting down trees? I would try to come up with a solution where you split the costs and help a neighbor out. Maybe even offer free wood for whoever can cut it down safely. The tree is leaning over the home, so I'm not sure you would an amateur to do it though. Maybe learn if another neighbor is experienced?

Good luck!

Old 03-07-2016, 11:38 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,979,746 times
If the tree is dead, diseased, or dying, you can send a letter via certified mail notifying the property owner of an imminent hazard. Then, if they don't address it you have some legal ground to fall back on.

It looks healthy to me, and just because it rubs the house doesn't mean it is likely to fall on yours.

I wouldn't worry about it. Maintain your homeowners insurance, if an act of God pushes that tree on your house your insurance will pay... as they should.

The short answer is: you CAN'T make someone else legally responsible for an act of God.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:38 PM

979 posts, read 732,813 times
That's a healthy poplar. If I was a betting man, I put my money on the tree being around longer than the shack.

Considering the owner can't afford minor maintenance expenses, she shouldn't own it. Why isn't she either selling it or sending the keys back to the bank (assuming she owes more than its worth)?

Old 03-08-2016, 09:01 PM

367 posts, read 556,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
That's a healthy poplar. If I was a betting man, I put my money on the tree being around longer than the shack.

Considering the owner can't afford minor maintenance expenses, she shouldn't own it. Why isn't she either selling it or sending the keys back to the bank (assuming she owes more than its worth)?
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or