U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2016, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 846 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to Charlotte towards Marvin, Waxhaw, Foxcroft, Barkley Downs....are there any great private schools in the area that anyone would recommend? Is there another area I should be looking at? My children are young, my daughter is 5 and my son is 1. Also, she is at a gifted school right now with wonderful programs but she doesn't quite qualify for the 145+ needed for Horizons program. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 03:30 PM

141 posts, read 105,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenx73 View Post
I am thinking about moving to Charlotte towards Marvin, Waxhaw, Foxcroft, Barkley Downs....are there any great private schools in the area that anyone would recommend? Is there another area I should be looking at? My children are young, my daughter is 5 and my son is 1. Also, she is at a gifted school right now with wonderful programs but she doesn't quite qualify for the 145+ needed for Horizons program. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Charlotte Latin is a great school. Expect to pay for it.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:06 PM

830 posts, read 1,314,741 times
That's a huge geographic area.

Barclay Downs/Foxcroft are close to each other. Marvin/Waxhaw are relatively close to each other, but aren't close to Barclay Downs/Foxcroft....and the areas are vastly different in terms of location, housing stock, etc.

As far as private schools, there are plenty, and lots of threads on them here. Admission season is already past for the big private schools for Fall 2016. If you're older child is t starting until Fall 2017, you have plenty of time.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:49 AM

71 posts, read 65,971 times
All the big private schools are inside 485. Union County is a hefty drive to any private school. With the way Union County is managing it's school district I wouldn't be surprised if someone opens a private school in Waxhaw.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:47 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,736,880 times
Providence Day, Country Day and Latin are the 3 most prominent in South Charlotte. All have admission standards. All are excellent. I actually prefer the first two to Latin. Country Day has a small (optional) IB program in high school - the only one in the private schools. I know many who have been happy with Providence Day and CCDS.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:58 PM

88 posts, read 108,955 times
Your best bet is Latin if you live in Union County unless you want to pay for bus service to PDS or CCDS. We were at Latin until we moved and were happy. Martin has great public schools that you can look at too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or