U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2016, 12:19 PM

339 posts, read 624,309 times

Advertisements

Hi Friends

Does anyone know of a martial arts studio or teacher that practices Hapkido in Charlotte? I believe it is a Korean martial art. My husband is looking for somewhere local Not interested in other practices, just Hapkido. Any and all recommendations appreciated! Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 06:46 AM

569 posts, read 1,221,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19th degree blackbelt View Post
Greetings Megan722, This is Master Sensei Sanchez. I hold a 19th degree blackbelt in Karate, 11th degree blackbelt in Kung Fu, and a master of the nunchucks as well as throwing stars. I run a dojo here in Charlotte out of my basement. I strongly encourage you to advise your husband against Hapkido unless he plans to star in a Steven Seagal movie. I am a living, breathing, walking deadly weapon and I can train your husband. If you would pm me your phone number and a photo of yourself and I will call you to discuss your husbands goals. Talk to you soon, Hiya!
Do you mean you have a 11th degree black "sash" in Kung Fu? What style? Just curious.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:58 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,383,823 times
Quote:
Greetings Megan722, This is Master Sensei Sanchez. I hold a 19th degree blackbelt in Karate, 11th degree blackbelt in Kung Fu, and a master of the nunchucks as well as throwing stars. I run a dojo here in Charlotte out of my basement. I strongly encourage you to advise your husband against Hapkido unless he plans to star in a Steven Seagal movie. I am a living, breathing, walking deadly weapon and I can train your husband. If you would pm me your phone number and a photo of yourself and I will call you to discuss your husbands goals. Talk to you soon, Hiya!

Old 03-10-2016, 12:59 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,383,823 times
Quote:
Sash is for American amateur Kung fu. I'm a master of old world Kung fu which originated in North Korea. I have earned a 11th degree belt in said art. Hiya!

Old 03-10-2016, 01:22 PM

5 posts, read 5,240 times
Quote:
This is Master Sensei Sanchez. I hold a 19th degree blackbelt in Karate, 11th degree blackbelt in Kung Fu, and a master of the nunchucks as well as throwing stars. I run a dojo here in Charlotte out of my basement. I strongly encourage you to advise your husband against Hapkido unless he plans to star in a Steven Seagal movie
To the OP; I'm so sorry for this less than adult thread! There used to be a few Haipkido schools around- I'll dig into it and see who's still teaching.

Mr. Sanchez,
Thank you for all your hard work and dedication! That said, I kind of want to point out that I believe Wu-Shu systems use neither belts nor degrees; but a sash system as others have mentioned. I also suspect ( but we can always be mistaken) that Wu-Shu in originated in certain regions of China, depending on what style. Finally, you may have spelled nunchaku incorrectly, and Steven Segal practiced Aikido...wholly and completely different martial art than Haipkido.
I'm not judging, and you should be proud of all that you feel you've accomplished.

I am an 11th Dan in traditional Chinese "google"; and got beat up once in 4th grade. I, too, would potentially enjoy a photo of the OP, but have lost my uncle creepy sweater...

Last edited by jfletemier; 03-10-2016 at 01:37 PM..

Old 03-10-2016, 06:23 PM

3,411 posts, read 3,197,294 times
Quote:
How dare you doubt my Kung Fu-ness skills! I was the on set trainer and stunt coordinator for Karate Kid 1,2,&3! And I was on set for "The next Karate Kid" until Will Smith had me laid off cause he didn't want me to be around his kid. Their loss, the movie bombed. If anyone else on here doubts my credentials I will be holding a free trial lesson at Freedom Park in the coming weeks. This is a free class but donations are strongly encouraged. Hiya! Pow! Splat! Pffff!
What happened to the basement? Your parents need it for something?

Old 03-11-2016, 11:13 AM

Default Hapkido

Hi Friends,

Thanks for the laughs and recommendations. My husband has practiced it for years and the person who used to have a studio is not around here anymore. He isn't interested in other disciplines. If anyone knows of a hapkido studio or of others who also practice that he could contact, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

Megan

Old 03-14-2016, 01:51 PM

469 posts, read 875,889 times
A martial arts instructor acquaintance in another state told me:
Try the Jin Jung Kwan school first . Also check local colleges as they sometimes have hapkido classes. I don't recommend "Combat Hapkido" as they don't teach good hapkido and are all about the money.

I'm not sure if any of those outfits are located in our area. He also suggested tae kwon do if there aren't any suitable hapkido gyms.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:03 PM

3,411 posts, read 3,197,294 times
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...charlotte%20nc

Old 03-18-2016, 07:27 AM

Hey thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte