U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2008, 09:01 AM

80 posts, read 206,337 times

Advertisements

Here is the deal.
My husband and I want to move to the area as soon as our home here in Maryland sells. We are tired of the skyrocketing housing costs, ridiculous traffic and stuck up people. My dad has a place in Asheville and Ive always loved NC so we thought Charlotte would be a great place to live.

A little about us. Im 27 and my husband is 31. We have a 9 month old daughter who I stay at home to take care of. He works for the Discovery Channel doing web development and is able to telecommute daily so we can live anywhere in the US that we want, really.

Here is whats important to us:
1. Safe, low crime neighborhood where neighbors are friendly. Good schools. Young neighborhood and we need a fenced yeard as we have two labs
2. My husband is a runner so he would love to live near walking/hiking/running trails
3. Affordable housing. In the range of 200-250k for a 4 bd/2ba house would be perfect. A yard is crucial for our young lively dogs to have somewhere to play. I love Baxter/Fort Hill but the houses are a little too Wisteria Lane for me from what Ive seen in pics

So we are planning to come out there from the 19th-23rd and would love some ideas on where to look. I havent been to Charlotte in years and Im sure I would get lost if I just drove around aimlessly. I have navigation in my car so Im planning on just punching in some destinations and driving around the area. We are staying in South Charlotte but I want to visit North/Northeast as well. Ive heard to stay away from due East and West Charlotte. Is this true?

Does anyone have any places I MUST visit that will convince my husband that this is THE place for us to move?

Thanks everyone. Ive learned so much on these forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 09:03 AM

120 posts, read 310,237 times
XTIN..We are coming too....My Husband and I are similar ages and ou r daughter is 10 months old...PM me..we should talk...

Old 02-10-2008, 09:08 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,220,816 times
Poke around South Charlotte a bit and that should do the trick. Lots of Parks, Trails, and Homes in your price range.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:00 AM

85 posts, read 387,375 times
Huntersville, Cornelious and Davidson are just North of Charlotte and offer a tremendous amount of opportunities for everyone. They are at Exit 23, 25, 28 and 30 off I-77.
They all have great shopping, restaurants, entertainment, etc. Also, Northlake Mall is at Exit 18 with new Best Buy, Super Target under construction.
Birkdale has great shopping off Exit 25.

Last edited by kehinnc; 02-10-2008 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: Typo error

Old 02-10-2008, 05:50 PM

255 posts, read 571,630 times
You should look at Indian Trail. (It is in Union County). My friends just bought there. They have 5 year old twins. The homes are beautiful and are in your price range. They also have fences. That was my friend's concern as well. They moved to Holly Park. You should search that development, or Taylor Glenn. Schools are also very good. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte