U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-10-2008, 07:54 PM
 
120 posts, read 310,198 times
Reputation: 31

Advertisements

Hi Emissary

We would buy in central/southern NJ ..We were looking into Monroe and Indian Trail..We had heard that the Shiloh/Sun Valley Schools are good..Is that true? Could you also tell me how the crime is in Monroe/Indian Trail etc....We dont want house with alot of land actually .25 acre is fine..the average..we want something not too rural and accessible to the Charlotte area in not too long of a commute...we are guessing that most of the restaurants are in this area??

Stacey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2008, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Noth Caccalacca
5,553 posts, read 6,665,938 times
Reputation: 4836
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyNJ View Post
Hi Emissary

We would buy in central/southern NJ ..We were looking into Monroe and Indian Trail..We had heard that the Shiloh/Sun Valley Schools are good..Is that true? Could you also tell me how the crime is in Monroe/Indian Trail etc....We dont want house with alot of land actually .25 acre is fine..the average..we want something not too rural and accessible to the Charlotte area in not too long of a commute...we are guessing that most of the restaurants are in this area??

Stacey
Downtown Monroe has some crime, but compared with NJ's larger cities it's negligible. There is a development called Brandon Oaks in Indian Trail that seems to be very nice. It's almost like a town unto itself. I also have a quarter acre and that's enough for me. I don't want the Ponderosa. Indian Trail is closer to Charlotte than Monroe. There is a strange thing going on in Indian Trail though, they only have "fast food" restaurants because they cannot sell liquor by the drink. That is something left over from the "old" days but I think they're going to change that soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2008, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Drury Lane
822 posts, read 2,540,067 times
Reputation: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Downtown Monroe has some crime, but compared with NJ's larger cities it's negligible. There is a development called Brandon Oaks in Indian Trail that seems to be very nice. It's almost like a town unto itself. I also have a quarter acre and that's enough for me. I don't want the Ponderosa. Indian Trail is closer to Charlotte than Monroe. There is a strange thing going on in Indian Trail though, they only have "fast food" restaurants because they cannot sell liquor by the drink. That is something left over from the "old" days but I think they're going to change that soon.
Indian Trail is having a mixed drink public hearing on Tuesday evening.

Charlotte Observer | 02/10/2008 | On liquor question, both sides are ready (http://www.charlotte.com/268/story/486890.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2008, 05:58 AM
 
Location: Waxhaw, NC
12 posts, read 36,986 times
Reputation: 11
If you move down here please bring me some Taylor Ham and you'll have to learn to pump your own gas!

Anyone from the north missing taylor ham/pork roll can get it in Waxhaw at What's your beef on Providence road
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2008, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Noth Caccalacca
5,553 posts, read 6,665,938 times
Reputation: 4836
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordeye01 View Post
If you move down here please bring me some Taylor Ham and you'll have to learn to pump your own gas!

Anyone from the north missing taylor ham/pork roll can get it in Waxhaw at What's your beef on Providence road
Yeah, but I bet one of those little 4 or 6 slice 8oz packs aren't $1.99 or $1.49 on sale. The Case brand of it would be on sale at Shop-Rite or Pathmark for .99 cents. I guess "What's your Beef" sells it "deli-style" sliced from the six-pound roll of it, like roast beef or olive loaf for probably $6.99 a lb. I need to take a road trip!

Stacy - Get down here, and have your husband open a decent delicatessen with good hard rolls - He'll make a fortune off the transplants and you'll be living in Marvin or Myers Park in no time at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2008, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,286,039 times
Reputation: 39844
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordeye01 View Post
If you move down here please bring me some Taylor Ham and you'll have to learn to pump your own gas!

Anyone from the north missing taylor ham/pork roll can get it in Waxhaw at What's your beef on Providence road
I've mentioned that before on another thread, about the gas pumping. We simply could not believe it the first time we went thru NJ and were told we could not pump our own - came home so glad we don't live in a state with unions that strong.

Stacey, you may well like Brandon Oaks in Indian Trail - it is a great neighborhood with many nice Ryan homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2008, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Noth Caccalacca
5,553 posts, read 6,665,938 times
Reputation: 4836
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I've mentioned that before on another thread, about the gas pumping. We simply could not believe it the first time we went thru NJ and were told we could not pump our own - came home so glad we don't live in a state with unions that strong.

Stacey, you may well like Brandon Oaks in Indian Trail - it is a great neighborhood with many nice Ryan homes.
loves - unions have nothing to do with not being allowed to pump your own gas. It's just the way gas stations were set up by the state early in the century for safety. I'd rather pay NJ gas prices too - They're about the same as SC! NJ trumps NC in that aspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2008, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,286,039 times
Reputation: 39844
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
loves - unions have nothing to do with not being allowed to pump your own gas. It's just the way gas stations were set up by the state early in the century for safety. I'd rather pay NJ gas prices too - They're about the same as SC! NJ trumps NC in that aspect.
Em, I am aware that is the way it initially came about - however, since then I believe the unions have seen an opportunity and lobbied against this set up being changed? If I am incorrect please let me know - but when I discussed this with several residents of the area was told this is the case - that the unions have a big stake in this continuing to be a law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2008, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Noth Caccalacca
5,553 posts, read 6,665,938 times
Reputation: 4836
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Em, I am aware that is the way it initially came about - however, since then I believe the unions have seen an opportunity and lobbied against this set up being changed? If I am incorrect please let me know - but when I discussed this with several residents of the area was told this is the case - that the unions have a big stake in this continuing to be a law.
Not unions to be precise, but the gas station owners themselves, like the system the way it is. Many gas stations are also repair shops and use the guys pumping gas for minor repairs. There are no gas station "union employees". If this was put up for a vote, NJ residents would overwhelming support keeping gas station attendents. NJ residents have come to expect this and think the rest of the country is slightly insane- "What? Pump your own gas? How pedestrian! Oregon is the other state that will not allow you to pump your own gas. A study was done and it was found that having gas station attendents costs about a penny a gallon. I'd gladly pay a penny a gallon more not to have to pump my own gas. Gas stations in NJ have about as much connection to "unionization" as Walmart! It provides those $10 an hour cheap part-time jobs for teen-agers and college students. But I remember when I was in NC in the early '70's and you had a choice between a self-service and full-service pump. Your friends gave you wrong info.

Conversely, I was shocked when I moved down here and found there was no "big" state-run inspection stations that were "free". You can have your car inspected at "select" gas stations and pay like NC, (mostly to get your car "passed", which it might not, at the state inspection station) but I always had my car inspected at the state inspection station for nothing! I kept asking where were the "free" state-run inspection stations, and got looks like I was from Mars. Also the "property" tax on your car doesn't exist in NJ. Time for my nap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2008, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,286,039 times
Reputation: 39844
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Not unions to be precise, but the gas station owners themselves, like the system the way it is. Many gas stations are also repair shops and use the guys pumping gas for minor repairs. There are no gas station "union employees". If this was put up for a vote, NJ residents would overwhelming support keeping gas station attendents. NJ residents have come to expect this and think the rest of the country is slightly insane- "What? Pump your own gas? How pedestrian! Oregon is the other state that will not allow you to pump your own gas. A study was done and it was found that having gas station attendents costs about a penny a gallon. I'd gladly pay a penny a gallon more not to have to pump my own gas. Gas stations in NJ have about as much connection to "unionization" as Walmart! It provides those $10 an hour cheap part-time jobs for teen-agers and college students. But I remember when I was in NC in the early '70's and you had a choice between a self-service and full-service pump. Your friends gave you wrong info.

Conversely, I was shocked when I moved down here and found there was no "big" state-run inspection stations that were "free". You can have your car inspected at "select" gas stations and pay like NC, (mostly to get your car "passed", which it might not, at the state inspection station) but I always had my car inspected at the state inspection station for nothing! I kept asking where were the "free" state-run inspection stations, and got looks like I was from Mars. Also the "property" tax on your car doesn't exist in NJ. Time for my nap!
Em, thanks for clearing that up and helping me to be better informed - great info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:42 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top