Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 01:28 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times

Advertisements

What can you tell me about it, good or bad? What is like to live there? Is it diverse? Are people friendly? Traffic? What kind of shopping, restaurants, parks, entertainment, etc? Suburban or urban feeling? There weren't any new threads abou it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 03:28 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,024 times
The border between Charlotte is practically indistinguishable except that Pineville has welcomed suburban style retail much more than Charlotte. There is a large mall which really dominates the area. Pineville does have a small downtown with a few antique stores but I don't know anyone who goes there. They could have accepted the light rail into Charlotte when it was built, but refused a station.
Therefore the area is very suburban and car oriented. Due to the mall, traffic is often terrible. However, there are affordable places to live in Pineville, so that attracts diversity - large Hispanic population in particular.

In short, retail, chain restaurants hospital etc are all in Pineville. It is diverse. Not walkable. Some very affordable neighborhoods. You can drive a short distance to light rail station within Charlotte limits and take it to uptown Charlotte at least.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:52 PM

71 posts, read 86,548 times
Don't let the name fool you...Pineville is Charlotte in all but the name. Schools too run by CMS.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the info What about crime? Is the traffic just bad by the mall or certain times of the day? It also seems that Pineville runs into Mathews?? If so, is there any difference in the two?

Old 03-16-2016, 04:22 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
Crime isn't really bad, but I think people have posted stats saying it was, basically due to the mall/retail there and the fact that the actual population is pretty small.

There's a hospital there too which causes some traffic as well, but I think the bigger factor in traffic is rush hour. I think people try to use 51 as a shortcut between 77 and 485.

Pineville does not directly run into Matthews. 51 is also called Pineville-Matthews Rd., but you go through Charlotte city limits to get to Matthews.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:58 PM

Is Pineville considered a desirable place to live or are there better places near?

Old 03-16-2016, 06:59 PM

152 posts, read 193,611 times
Pineville does have a small area of walkability. There are some older neighborhoods behind the downtown strip, south of 51. Those folks can easily get to the elementary school, playground, rec center, and downtown on foot or bike, and they can avoid the worst of 51. The downtown strip doesn't have a lot, but it has my essentials: coffee, food, beer. The town screwed the pooch on the light rail, but they have purchased the old mill and are shopping for developers.

No doubt, Hwy 51 can be nasty. Mall traffic at the holidays and rush hour is always jammed.

Desirability, ?? Really depends on what you want.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:14 PM

How does Pineville compare to Matthews?

Old 03-17-2016, 04:17 AM

71 posts, read 86,548 times
Matthews seems 'nicer' to me, but it would be helpful to know more about what you are looking for or trying to avoid.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBetaZeta View Post
Matthews seems 'nicer' to me, but it would be helpful to know more about what you are looking for or trying to avoid.
An area that is safe and clean. All conveniences concentrated in one area so you don't have to drive far or all over to get to retail and everyday needs. A place that has a sense of community with ongoing events. Schools are not of importance. The less traffic, the better not to sit in traffic 30 min to go a couple miles Lastly, a friendly place that is easy to make friendships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte