U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 02:26 PM

3 posts, read 6,081 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to Charlotte in a few months and we are looking for a school with a diverse student population and strong academics. We have a 7 year old boy who will be entering second grade. I will be working either in Concord, Huntersville or southpark area (will decide based on the school that we choose). We prefer a public school but will do private if needed. Also, how diverse are those neighborhoods? Any thoughts or recommendations are extremely appreciated!!!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 02:32 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,836,257 times
NC School Report Cards

There are a lot of changes being discussed in Charlotte/Mecklenburg School system right now with many towns opting out.
Concord would probably be your most stable system if you are planning for your child to go to the same school for long.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:02 PM

3 posts, read 6,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
NC School Report Cards

There are a lot of changes being discussed in Charlotte/Mecklenburg School system right now with many towns opting out.
Concord would probably be your most stable system if you are planning for your child to go to the same school for long.

Thanks! Do you know what the changes are or where I can find that information?

Old 03-20-2016, 03:16 PM

3,411 posts, read 3,202,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh1018 View Post
Thanks! Do you know what the changes are or where I can find that information?

There is talk in CMS to start busing students again. The Town of Matthews just voted and approved to separate themselves from CMS.

Concord is your best bet. Cox Mill or Odell ES. Both schools are diverse as are the neighborhood s that feed into these schools.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:13 PM

5,872 posts, read 7,710,927 times
Of those 3 I think Concord would be the most diverse. But like CMS, there are some good schools in Concord and some bad schools in Concord. The highest regarded seem to be those closest to the Meck County line.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:58 PM

17 posts, read 25,110 times
Depending on where you're moving from, diversity in public schools mean something different here than any other parts of the country. We moved to Huntersville and we love it here and my daughter's school is pretty diverse although moving from Queens it doesn't hold a candle to that. I'm actually very happy with my daughter's public school and very found of her teacher. I was leery reading all the negatives people said about CMS schools. My one complaint is I think the focus a lot of focus and attention on reading and literacy and not enough on math and science. Im not saying reading and literacy isn't important but I would like to see the same amount of effort put into math and science.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:18 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,385,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanhooligan View Post
Depending on where you're moving from, diversity in public schools mean something different here than any other parts of the country. We moved to Huntersville and we love it here and my daughter's school is pretty diverse although moving from Queens it doesn't hold a candle to that. I'm actually very happy with my daughter's public school and very found of her teacher. I was leery reading all the negatives people said about CMS schools. My one complaint is I think the focus a lot of focus and attention on reading and literacy and not enough on math and science. Im not saying reading and literacy isn't important but I would like to see the same amount of effort put into math and science.
I agree. CMS schools are much better than these forums would have you believe. The words "good" or "bad" to describe a school can mean so many different things as well as describing diversity. It's funny that diversity can conjure negative images for many people while being valuable for others based on how they perceive what the word means. Diversity is not the same a minority/poor!

What grade is your daughter in? If she's particularly interested in science and math, there are a lot of spring and summer camps around town she may be interested in. The offering at Providence Day and UNCC are pretty impressive and don't cost much compared to the enjoyment your daughter may get out of it. I'm not saying the schools shouldn't focus more on it, but if you can find a way to fuel the fire as well she may really get something good out of it.

Summer Camps | Summer Camps | UNC Charlotte

Old 03-22-2016, 07:56 AM

3,411 posts, read 3,202,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanhooligan View Post
You should look into the STEM schools within Meck for the math and science.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:59 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,739,714 times
I agree that CMS schools are better than people say on these forums. There has been some recent talk of boundary changes recently in order to make schools a bit more diverse but just at the margins. No way they can pass a major new busing plan politically. I can tell you that the schools around South Park are both excellent and diverse, especially if you stay in the Myers Park High School zone. Selwyn, AG Middle, and Myers Park are among the best.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:51 AM

2,341 posts, read 4,047,546 times
This is just not true. The only talk of busing is from a few politicians who are trying to gin up fear and anxiety.

There is no talk by the school board of busing students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
There is talk in CMS to start busing students again. The Town of Matthews just voted and approved to separate themselves from CMS.

Concord is your best bet. Cox Mill or Odell ES. Both schools are diverse as are the neighborhood s that feed into these schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or