U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 01:45 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,193,442 times

Advertisements

To get back on track . . . if we want to discuss the meaning of the term "redneck," we can also consider it as "coded language" - wh/ is what this post is about . . . the erroneous meanings of the term.

I think we all agree that the original meaning of the word has "morphed." My concern is that the term has become coded language to refer to Southerners as a way of stereotyping them in a condescending way. Unfortunately, it appears that the term redneck includes many very disparaging meanings, including ignorant, uneducated, trifling, racist, hick. Redneck in itself may be used as a label throughout the US, but it seems that calling someone a "Southern redneck" carries particularly pejorative connotations.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:56 PM

569 posts, read 1,225,043 times
To me a "redneck" is someone who is ignorant or uncultured. Generally when I hear the term "redneck" I associate it with an ignorant person that lives in the south. It's funny most of my friends are from NY. They tell me they have "rednecks" up there as well. My good friend from NY says "the last image a southerner wants to portray is an ignorant redneck just as the last image a northerner wants to portray is a rude yankee." LOL

Old 05-21-2008, 01:57 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,374,905 times
Disclaimer: I have no problem with the majority of what I refer to as "rednecks", I see it as strictly an observation.

To me personally, all joking aside, a redneck is a loud-pickup-driving, rebel-flag waving, honky-tonk listening, deer-hunting, 6-pack drinking, YEEEHAAAWWW NASCAR devotionalist that is deep rooted in their flea markets and farm equipment. I see rednecks all over the country, whether I am in North Carolina, Alabama (where I grew up), Wisconsin, Maine, or Utah. Now, to me, ALL of the above qualities/hobbies combined make for a redneck, not just one or two. I have had a few friends that are rednecks, and there is no problem with that, just as there is no problem in being a yuppie. I realize that my definition of a redneck is shallow and stereotypical, but it's just the way I have always referred to them.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:06 PM

716 posts, read 1,912,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
To me a "redneck" is someone who is ignorant or uncultured. Generally when I hear the term "redneck" I associate it with an ignorant person that lives in the south. It's funny most of my friends are from NY. They tell me they have "rednecks" up there as well. My good friend from NY says "the last image a southerner wants to portray is an ignorant redneck just as the last image a northerner wants to portray is a rude yankee." LOL
Excellent point!

I've lived a few places up and down the east coast, and I've always equated "redneck" with "trash." It's definitely a pejorative in my book. When that song "Redneck Woman" came out, I was mortified and amused all at the same time. Why in the world would someone be PROUD to be a redneck???

But my personal interpretation is that I've never assumed that blue-collar = redneck.
I've never assumed that Southern = redneck.
I've never assumed that a simple living, hard working, patriotic decent citizen = redneck.

Redneck has always been one of those terms like "white trash": something to describe a group of people who may share some characteristics of "decent" people, but something much more negative defines them, and it becomes a way to belittle or insult.

FTR, that Gretchen Wilson song still nauseates me. But only because it's no better than the exact opposite: glorification of consumerism and conspicuous wealth espoused by other recording artists.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:19 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,729,967 times
In my opinion, Charlotte is definately "not" a redneck city. There may be a few on the outer fringes of town, but that's O.K. Diversity makes the world go around.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
Excellent point!

I've lived a few places up and down the east coast, and I've always equated "redneck" with "trash." It's definitely a pejorative in my book. When that song "Redneck Woman" came out, I was mortified and amused all at the same time. Why in the world would someone be PROUD to be a redneck???

But my personal interpretation is that I've never assumed that blue-collar = redneck.
I've never assumed that Southern = redneck.
I've never assumed that a simple living, hard working, patriotic decent citizen = redneck.

Redneck has always been one of those terms like "white trash": something to describe a group of people who may share some characteristics of "decent" people, but something much more negative defines them, and it becomes a way to belittle or insult.

FTR, that Gretchen Wilson song still nauseates me. But only because it's no better than the exact opposite: glorification of consumerism and conspicuous wealth espoused by other recording artists.
Terrific post, Ultra! And I agree - Native1 explained things very well.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
Disclaimer: I have no problem with the majority of what I refer to as "rednecks", I see it as strictly an observation.

To me personally, all joking aside, a redneck is a loud-pickup-driving, rebel-flag waving, honky-tonk listening, deer-hunting, 6-pack drinking, YEEEHAAAWWW NASCAR devotionalist that is deep rooted in their flea markets and farm equipment. I see rednecks all over the country, whether I am in North Carolina, Alabama (where I grew up), Wisconsin, Maine, or Utah. Now, to me, ALL of the above qualities/hobbies combined make for a redneck, not just one or two. I have had a few friends that are rednecks, and there is no problem with that, just as there is no problem in being a yuppie. I realize that my definition of a redneck is shallow and stereotypical, but it's just the way I have always referred to them.
You bring up something I had not thought about, Peyton. "Yuppie" is in our venacular as surely as "redneck" is. Hmmmm. But is "yuppie" a pejorative term? Seems redneck only refers to negative stuff. ???

Old 05-21-2008, 02:29 PM

620 posts, read 1,921,412 times
My definition of redneck is pretty similiar to PeytonC. I think the problem is that southern and redneck get mixed together too often. I also find most "rednecks" to be rude and to lack any sort of manners. I also find that some younger guys around my age (I am 21 - roughly the 17-22 year olds) here (ironically it is usually the wealthier ones) aspire to be like a "redneck". Maybe it is just a phase, but it is just an observation of mine (no comment otherwise).

Old 05-21-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
My definition of redneck is pretty similiar to PeytonC. I think the problem is that southern and redneck get mixed together too often. I also find most "rednecks" to be rude and to lack any sort of manners. I also find that some younger guys around my age here (ironically it is usually the wealthier ones) aspire to be like a "redneck". Maybe it is just a phase, but it is just an observation of mine (no comment otherwise).
Yes, I agree, Mike - "southern" and "redneck" get mixed together. I think that "proud to be a redneck" thing is part of what Ultra was describing - and is rather perplexing (to say the least, LOL!!!)

Old 05-21-2008, 02:39 PM

1,181 posts, read 2,751,565 times
[SIZE=3]After painstakingly reading all these posts, I find it a bit shocking that almost everyone thinks that redneck is a derogatory term and even more baffled at how anyone can correlate it to ‘white trash’.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Redneck, as I think Loves stated earlier, is from the red necks farmers get from working in the fields. These are people that enjoy the simpler things in life that find happiness in God and each other rather than the latest and the greatest in technology or automation. So, they might be behind the times, but I envy that… the simple life. It shouldn’t be looked down on.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]When I hear ‘white trash’, I think of a person that uses vulgar language and has no respect for their self. These are 2 very different things.[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or