U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 11:24 AM

743 posts, read 2,028,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
God, what a great story!

Hope ya'll are enjoying your Bloody Marys as much as I am enjoying mine! Happy Memorial Day Weekend! And here's to our ancestors, be they po' white trash, rednecks or something in between . . .

How I wish but I don't think my boss would like it too much with me sitting here at work with a Bloody Mary, But watch out 4pm. Here I come my bloody mary calling my name.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:32 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,235,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
How I wish but I don't think my boss would like it too much with me sitting here at work with a Bloody Mary, But watch out 4pm. Here I come my bloody mary calling my name.
You are right. Don't think your boss would be impressed. Well, he might be impressed - just not in a GOOD way!!!

Happy Memorial Day, MDtoNC!!!

Old 05-23-2008, 11:55 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,734,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
Good for you. If my boss did an investigation to see how much time I waste on the computer, I would be hung by my Po white trash neck. I can't have a drink for another two hours though. Have a great weekend.

P.S. Do you ever think that we could possibly be the reason our economy is having problems? LOL.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:13 PM

22,033 posts, read 27,331,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am saving a Bloody Mary for you, too, SB!!!!
Thanks, Ani!

Old 05-23-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I like Poor (often pronounced "po" by other ethnicities) white trash better. It isn't so exclusionary. It is nice to be able to carry such a title and not have to worry about qualifying with the appropriate rural background thing. As a matter of fact, I feel like I live around elitist here on the Redneck Riviera of nowthwest Florida. We call Moonshine "Everclear". Thanks for your input.
LOL, vidaloo, In the Philly area poor is pronounced poor. but since I still have a lot of my Michigan accent, it comes out as pore.

I know this because in the Depression, my mother's family was very poor. My grandparents worked very hard. They lived in a small resort town, & they were called poor white trash. (It probably didn't help any that my great-grandfather lived across the street & refused to let my grandfather install a bathroom, & was the only person in town with an outhouse.)

Old 05-24-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
LOL, vidaloo, In the Philly area poor is pronounced poor. but since I still have a lot of my Michigan accent, it comes out as pore.

I know this because in the Depression, my mother's family was very poor. My grandparents worked very hard. They lived in a small resort town, & they were called poor white trash. (It probably didn't help any that my great-grandfather lived across the street & refused to let my grandfather install a bathroom, & was the only person in town with an outhouse.)
Actually, "Po" (as in Po white trash) was a quote from the old black Mammy in "Gone with the Wind".

Old 05-24-2008, 12:11 PM

To reinforce the idea that rednecks can come from anywhere, I will share a story from last night. My wife and I went out with a couple of friends. They are from near Syracuse, N.Y. He is so damn funny and cool. Not only are we idntical twins politically, but he reminds me of a young version of Raymond's father on the program Raymond. His girlfriend is a real green (liberal/lefty type) person. She is quite apalled at the conversations that her boyfriend and I often have and I am sure that if she thought she could do better, she would be gone in a minute. Unfortunately, she cant. Actually, I do like her. She is easy game for harrassment. Nevertheless, as much as she is always out saving turtles and trees, she has no problem eating meat (kind of a hypocrate I think) and selectively hates certain animals like armadillos. She is the first to insult southerners on their pronunciation of words and is very critical of just about anything in the southland.

Last night we met for drinks at TGIF. My wife ordered battered green beans as an hors d' oeuvre and my friends girlfriend had some prime rib carved from the hors d' oevure table. First, this classy lady (Yea right!) began by double dipping the dipping sauce that was provided for the green beans for which I thanked her for ruining my chance to enjoy the sauce since I wasn't about to consume her germs. Next, she thought that the beef was too tough so after chewing it for a while she spat it out on a bread plate in full view of everyone. I didn't realize what it was at first until she told me that the meat was so tough that she couldn't eat it. I then asked, is that the meat that you spat out? She said "yes" as if it weren't a big thing. I immediately lost my appetite. Thank heavens I was full from vodka and cranberry juice.

Well my dear friends, if she had been a southerner I would have definately considered her a redneck. She is not southern so I just call her "nasty". Is there a better term that would apply?

I hope that you have enjoyed this totally useless message.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
To reinforce the idea that rednecks can come from anywhere, I will share a story from last night. My wife and I went out with a couple of friends. They are from near Syracuse, N.Y. He is so damn funny and cool. Not only are we idntical twins politically, but he reminds me of a young version of Raymond's father on the program Raymond. His girlfriend is a real green (liberal/lefty type) person. She is quite apalled at the conversations that her boyfriend and I often have and I am sure that if she thought she could do better, she would be gone in a minute. Unfortunately, she cant. Actually, I do like her. She is easy game for harrassment. Nevertheless, as much as she is always out saving turtles and trees, she has no problem eating meat (kind of a hypocrate I think) and selectively hates certain animals like armadillos. She is the first to insult southerners on their pronunciation of words and is very critical of just about anything in the southland.

Last night we met for drinks at TGIF. My wife ordered battered green beans as an hors d' oeuvre and my friends girlfriend had some prime rib carved from the hors d' oevure table. First, this classy lady (Yea right!) began by double dipping the dipping sauce that was provided for the green beans for which I thanked her for ruining my chance to enjoy the sauce since I wasn't about to consume her germs. Next, she thought that the beef was too tough so after chewing it for a while she spat it out on a bread plate in full view of everyone. I didn't realize what it was at first until she told me that the meat was so tough that she couldn't eat it. I then asked, is that the meat that you spat out? She said "yes" as if it weren't a big thing. I immediately lost my appetite. Thank heavens I was full from vodka and cranberry juice.

Well my dear friends, if she had been a southerner I would have definately considered her a redneck. She is not southern so I just call her "nasty". Is there a better term that would apply?

I hope that you have enjoyed this totally useless message.
Good lord!...... I've been called a hick, many times, but I would have raced you to the bathroms to gag!!!!

She sounds like a wacko to me.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:34 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,376,569 times
Quote:
......she thought that the beef was too tough so after chewing it for a while she spat it out on a bread plate in full view of everyone.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:09 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,235,178 times
Quote:
Gauche
Tacky
Declasse
Boorish
Ill-mannered
Unsophisticated
Nauseating

I don't know how you got thru/ the evening, Vin. That was, um, pretty trashy. I have friends that might be called "rednecks" by someone outside the South, and I assure you, they have very acceptable table manners, LOL! This gal is just gross!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or