Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 11:18 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
yes, we do, and I believe it is instinctive. Stereotypes are very useful in a survival sense, not so much in an interpersonal or social sense.

As our society has evolved, physical survival has begun to take a lower priority than social and interpersonal skills.
Well put and makes sense to me. I bet there have been dissertations written on this subject and social anthropologists have done all sorts of surveys. This would be an interesting topic to explore on its own.

Thank you, Anon. I bet you know a lot more about this than you have just shared.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:54 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpr View Post
i was told years ago that a redneck was a union supporter in the old coal towns back in the day. if you wore a red bandana around your neck you supported the union.silent code to be kept from the "company goons" and company supported police
While I agree the term "redneck" was used back in the 1920's during a coal mine strike in West Virginia for the reasons you mentioned, in the deep south I believe the origination of the term goes back even further to the 1800's. It came about in the days when most people in the south lived on farms and worked their land - when manual labor fed this nation - and people would get sunburned and red from working from sunup to sundown.

Regardless, the term seems to have shared the common element of pride in a job well done by hardworking people - until others took it and twisted the connotation to other degroatory meanings.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:45 PM

255 posts, read 885,483 times
Well there are rednecks, and then there are hillbillies...

I think a lot of people (in particular not from the south) consider the 2 are the same, when in fact there is a HUGE difference...
hehe

Old 02-12-2008, 04:48 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,881 times
Anon certainly seems to summarize what history tells us. I have a hard time thinking of a society, ancient or modern, which does not have its "inferior" groups. The obvious ones come to mind easily - women throughout much of European and Asian history, Jews in modern Germany, the Irish in the British Isles, untouchables in India, Native Americans in US history and African Americans in most western cultures. These are only the most obvious - every time I read a book - fiction or non-fiction - I learn about another group who has been deemed second class: the burakumin of Japan, the hazara of Afghanistan and on and on. It does seem necessary for human beings to designate another group as inferior, in order, one assumes, to make themselves feel superior.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:08 PM

45 posts, read 154,860 times
Jeff Foxworthy comes to mind when I hear the word Redneck. ;p

Old 02-12-2008, 06:48 PM

743 posts, read 2,243,285 times
[quote=vindaloo;2796573]A redneck is one that "generally" has a noticable beer gut that he is rather proud of.
My hubby says a six pack at a time.

He likes to drink beer,
All the time, but doesn't all men who go and watch the game or race.

belch
Almost a given when drinking beer, or even if you are having stomach ulcers and acid reflux.

, likes his women a little on the trashy side,
When we are alone

ready for a good ole fight if challenged,
Will defend anyone close to him when need be.

prefers pitbulls to poodles,
No actually german shepherds

often drives his pickup truck in the passing lane without having a clue why people are tailgating him,

Usually to slow down those going terribly too fast who will cause an accident.

So I guess hubby and I fit the redneck category since you are stereotyping people. But then again you just described half of Union county.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
im not from there but came from around there,
but generally when i see that on CD it means somebody is making a racial post
white folks don't call each other that name very much do they?

Old 02-12-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
im not from there but came from around there,
but generally when i see that on CD it means somebody is making a racial post
white folks don't call each other that name very much do they?
You mean - white folks don't call each other redneck very often? Heck, yeah.

We call each other crackers, white trash, rednecks, hillbillies, Bubbas . . . sure. Also, Social Climber, A$$ kisser, etc.

And Bunky, after reading all the posts on this thread . . . I still wonder . . . why we feel we have to separate ourselves into groups . . . why we feel we need to label. Anonymous had a nice post about that. But still - I wonder why, in the year of 2008, we still feel we have to divide people into groups.

But we do.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
Anon certainly seems to summarize what history tells us. I have a hard time thinking of a society, ancient or modern, which does not have its "inferior" groups. The obvious ones come to mind easily - women throughout much of European and Asian history, Jews in modern Germany, the Irish in the British Isles, untouchables in India, Native Americans in US history and African Americans in most western cultures. These are only the most obvious - every time I read a book - fiction or non-fiction - I learn about another group who has been deemed second class: the burakumin of Japan, the hazara of Afghanistan and on and on. It does seem necessary for human beings to designate another group as inferior, in order, one assumes, to make themselves feel superior.
Barb, you hit on it - "to make themselves feel superior." I guess that is why we do it.

How many times have I heard someone say "now they are our kind of people." I guess we all like to find other people who think somewhat like we do . . . have the same values . . . espouse the same political views (or are interesting in defending their different ideas!) . . . maybe part of it is - we make distinctions to find our "pack" or "tribe."

Old 02-12-2008, 08:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You mean - white folks don't call each other redneck very often? Heck, yeah.

We call each other crackers, white trash, rednecks, hillbillies, Bubbas . . . sure. Also, Social Climber, A$$ kisser, etc.

And Bunky, after reading all the posts on this thread . . . I still wonder . . . why we feel we have to separate ourselves into groups . . . why we feel we need to label. Anonymous had a nice post about that. But still - I wonder why, in the year of 2008, we still feel we have to divide people into groups.

But we do.
i dont know who "we" is but i dont know anybody that talks like that . anyway not for long and not standing up.
ever thought bout makin some new friends?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte