U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 07:29 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,147,825 times

Advertisements

Thank you for some more insight into the root meaning of the term "redneck." And yes, Jeff Foxworthy, as funny as he is, has definitely added to the stereotypes about "rednecks" and the South.

Yes, discussions about "hillbilly" would take us on yet another track, LOL. In any case, I believe it is accurate to say . . . people have many stereotypes about the South and Southerners.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:59 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,724,960 times
I personally find the term redneck as insulting as the "N" word if used in a derrogatory manner. As a matter of fact, I was out one night and a northern gentleman (I use the term loosely) kept referring to "southern rednecks". I asked him if he was insulted when someone uses the "N" word and he said, "Yes". I then said that I was equally insulted when he makes general insults catagorizing southern whites as rednecks.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:08 AM

1,907 posts, read 4,452,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I personally find the term redneck as insulting as the "N" word if used in a derrogatory manner. As a matter of fact, I was out one night and a northern gentleman (I use the term loosely) kept referring to "southern rednecks". I asked him if he was insulted when someone uses the "N" word and he said, "Yes". I then said that I was equally insulted when he makes general insults catagorizing southern whites as rednecks.
Do Tell....What was his response?

Old 05-21-2008, 10:13 AM

7,529 posts, read 6,147,431 times
Right or wrong I have always equated redneck with racist.

I have read this entire thread and obviously that is not what the term was meant to refer to. But that is what the term has morphed into. I wouldn't consider it a term directed at southern folks only. I grew up in upstate NY (Albany area) and that term is used up there too.

Example: last night Kentucky had there primary and 25% of the voters poled said that race was a factor, and I would say they are ignorant red necks.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
Right or wrong I have always equated redneck with racist.

I have read this entire thread and obviously that is not what the term was meant to refer to. But that is what the term has morphed into. I wouldn't consider it a term directed at southern folks only. I grew up in upstate NY (Albany area) and that term is used up there too.

Example: last night Kentucky had there primary and 25% of the voters poled said that race was a factor, and I would say they are ignorant red necks.
I totally disagree with your last statement. Just because someone has views different from yours doesn't make them ignorant rednecks. How about blacks that vote for Obama just because he is black (about 90% of them)? Does that make them ignorant rednecks as well? What do you call them? Looks like a potential double standard to me?

Old 05-21-2008, 10:59 AM

7,529 posts, read 6,147,431 times
Quote:
I totally disagree with your last statement. Just because someone has views different from yours doesn't make them ignorant rednecks. How about blacks that vote for Obama just because he is black (about 90% of them)? Does that make them ignorant rednecks as well? What do you call them? Looks like a potential double standard to me?
I would call that ignorant as well.

But the OP asked how I would define the term redneck, and I said what the term means to me. and I gave an example.

For the record any individual can vote as they see fit, that is one of the many reasons I love this country. But my opinion (for what it's worth) if the individual is voting based on color, sex, religion or any other specific bias without looking at the person as an individual and what they might bring to the table is irresponsible and ignorant.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:05 AM

I know that I have told this story before, but during my last visit to my mother-in-laws in Minnesota, my brother-and-law visited for a cook out. He is 6'4 weighs 350 pounds with a generous beer gut. While chewing tobacco, spitting, and drinking wine out of a paper bag, he began telling southern redneck jokes. I thought, "My God! If he only knew". My wife chewed his @ss for spitting in areas where she walks. Goes to show that redneckism doesn't have geographical boundaries. Everyone qualifies. The term does have different interpretations. Some people are proud to be called redneck as it sometimes depicts a hard working lower income individual that lives in a rural environment. To others, it can be anyone that lives in messy, unkept surroundings, drinks too much, pays too little or no attention to his/her children other than the occasional pull the finger thing. This person might possibly give his wife an occasional slap if she talks back or lets him run out of beer. Or finally, it can be anyone with a southern accent. That is the one that annoys me.

Last edited by vindaloo; 05-21-2008 at 11:17 AM..

Old 05-21-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
During my last visit to my mother-in-laws in Minnesota, my brother-and-law visited for a cook out. He is 6'4 weighs 350 pounds with a generous beer gut. While chewing tobacco, spitting, and drinking wine out of a paper bag, he began telling southern redneck jokes. I thought, "My God! If he only knew". My wife chewed his @ss for spitting in areas where she walks. Goes to show that redneckism doesn't have geographical boundaries. Everyone qualifies. The term does have different interpretations. Some people are proud to be called redneck as it sometimes depicts a hard working lower income individual that lives in a rural environment. To others, it can be anyone that lives in messy, unkept surroundings, drinks too much, pays too little or no attention to his/her children other than the occasional pull the finger thing. This person might possibly give his wife an occasional slap if she talks back or lets him run out of beer. Or finally, it can be anyone with a southern accent. That is the one that annoys me.
Anyone w/ a Southern accent - that is the one that annoys me the most, as well. Just another stereotype that perpetuates incorrect perceptions about the South.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Do Tell....What was his response?
He did his little tap dance and I asked him what do you call people that act like jerks in the north? He understood my comment and replied, "@ssholes". The fact was that he didn't realize that he was being insulting. I set him straight and he was O.K. and understood.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
He did his little tap dance and I asked him what do you call people that act like jerks in the north? He understood my comment and replied, "@ssholes". The fact was that he didn't realize that he was being insulting. I set him straight and he was O.K. and understood.
Interesting in that so often - people do not even realize how hurtful labels are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or