U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 07:50 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,976,623 times

Advertisements

He was a reasonable mayor. Moderate. Solution-oriented. Willing to make a tough choice for the good of the city (light rail, Bobcats arena).

I feel like he is trying to make a new reputation for himself to be a player on the federal scene. And the lengths at which he's willing to reach to establish that new GOP candidate image is shocking to those of us who regarded him as a reasonable and trustworthy mayor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 10:36 AM

5,102 posts, read 5,954,670 times
Quote:
Most people have no problem with the Gay and Lesbian community until they start demanding we change our lives to accommodate them.
When did that happen? When does that happen? What accommodations?

Old 03-25-2016, 11:12 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,675,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
He was a reasonable mayor. Moderate. Solution-oriented. Willing to make a tough choice for the good of the city (light rail, Bobcats arena).

I feel like he is trying to make a new reputation for himself to be a player on the federal scene. And the lengths at which he's willing to reach to establish that new GOP candidate image is shocking to those of us who regarded him as a reasonable and trustworthy mayor.
I also think there's lots more money involved now.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:55 AM

4,449 posts, read 2,914,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It's a shame. He was moderate on a number of issues including pushing to have the LRT built in Charlotte, and he could have taken a leadership role here, by pushing against the state GA on the discrimination bill. But he takes the low road and this is what most of the nation will remember him for.

There does seem to be considerable national backlash from the business community so expect him to eventually flip flop on the issue should he manage to be re-elected. (if not before)
Yep. Like I mentioned in another thread, as long as the voter turnout is high (and I think it will be, since it's a Presidential election year), I'm fairly certain McCrory will be getting the ol' heave-ho in November. I don't think Cooper will beat him in a landslide, but his chances of beating McCrory are probably better now than they've ever been.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:11 PM

537 posts, read 544,810 times
I'm not sure there's enough transvestites or WNBA fans in NC to sway an election.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:27 PM

2,143 posts, read 2,604,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Yep. Like I mentioned in another thread, as long as the voter turnout is high (and I think it will be, since it's a Presidential election year), I'm fairly certain McCrory will be getting the ol' heave-ho in November. I don't think Cooper will beat him in a landslide, but his chances of beating McCrory are probably better now than they've ever been.
Or the opposite happens and McCrory has gained even more supporters for passing this legislation, similar to how regardless of what Trump says/does his support grows.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:44 PM

21,793 posts, read 27,055,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Or the opposite happens and McCrory has gained even more supporters for passing this legislation, similar to how regardless of what Trump says/does his support grows.
The key is moderates. That's why Cooper is being very careful.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:10 PM

6,269 posts, read 9,975,835 times
McCrory's anti-gay agenda will go over well in black and white churches throughout most of rural/suburban NC. Amendment 1 was a field-test. Now that those test results are in, gay rights will be loudly opposed by ANY governor of this state. Don't blame McCrory for governing on the mentality level of the conservative Christian deep-pocketed elite of NC.

For many folks in NC, this is not about granting constitutional rights to all citizens. Nope; there are many folks who truly believe that love and fellowship towards gays will trigger the wrath of an angry god who will curse all of humanity to a fiery eternity. Oh yeah, and it's "gross" and "not natural" too.

Truth be told, if interracial marriage was left up to voters, I can think of about 18 US states where it would fail (possibly as many 30 states where it would fail).

When it comes to granting all with constitutional rights, the majority shouldn't have a right to vote. Period

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 03-25-2016 at 01:20 PM..

Old 03-25-2016, 01:54 PM

6,269 posts, read 9,975,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
I'm not sure there's enough transvestites or WNBA fans in NC to sway an election.
Check out the link below...

NBA implies 2017 All-Star Game could be moved after North Carolina passes anti-LGBTQ law - SBNation.com

Old 03-25-2016, 02:15 PM

367 posts, read 555,924 times
Is this really an attack on the gay community? I think this boils down to the absurdity of .2% of the population who think they're really another gender.

I'm all for gay rights, including marriage... but the whole transgender thing is crazy to me.

I'm not going to brush with a broad stroke, but I've yet to see one mentally stable transgender person on TV. I don't know if it has something to do with all the hormones or other meds, but it's baffling. On the other hand, there are plenty of examples of stable gay leaders (i.e. Tim Cook of Apple).

And I'm the farthest from the religious right... I'm agnostic.

If there's someone reading this who's gay, please explain to me why you're fighting for trans people. Is it because "they're an enemy of my enemy?" If so, I can at least understand that. The other day on TV they were interviewing both sides and the opposition was some Baptist preacher with his bible in hand... I rolled my eyes. That's the problem. Transgenders and Jesus freaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or