U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 07:40 PM

372 posts, read 562,226 times

Advertisements

I agree that Roberts picked a fight that didn't need started. I also agree that the media has blown this totally out of the water by pushing the bathroom agenda, when the real uproar should be regarding how an employee can no longer sue an employer through state court. She might have future political ambitions and this was the best way her camp decided to get her name out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 07:48 PM

4,760 posts, read 6,410,324 times
I'll leave my prior post intact and unedited so I can receive whatever flaming is believed is coming to me.

I'll offer this as a question...

Had a proposal been brought to the NCGA to make into law, statewide, what the Charlotte city council proposed, is there not a good chance it would have passed?

I think it would have passed with little problem. Had it not passed, there would have been plenty of public comment, outrage, etc., to cause the members of the NCGA to reconsider there stance should it not align with their constituents. We all know where the population centers are, and the campaign dollars.

Would this not have been a smarter way to go about things? Or was this a political ploy to start? These are just questions I have. I think they're fair questions.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:06 PM

3,680 posts, read 1,401,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I'll leave my prior post intact and unedited so I can receive whatever flaming is believed is coming to me.

I'll offer this as a question...

Had a proposal been brought to the NCGA to make into law, statewide, what the Charlotte city council proposed, is there not a good chance it would have passed?

I think it would have passed with little problem. Had it not passed, there would have been plenty of public comment, outrage, etc., to cause the members of the NCGA to reconsider there stance should it not align with their constituents. We all know where the population centers are, and the campaign dollars.

Would this not have been a smarter way to go about things? Or was this a political ploy to start? These are just questions I have. I think they're fair questions.
I think Roberts tired to do the right thing, but the GOP had a fit and went as far right as I've seen on gay issues since A1 maybe even further. GOP went all in and put every thing discriminatory they could in 1 bill and signed it overnight to return to their vacations.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:32 PM

Did Roberts really try to do the right thing? Or did she go for the political home run? As Sunny pointed out, nothing has changed as far as gay rights. This was pretty much in reaction to a transgender issue that was never really an issue. There may have been a few people whining about a trans person pissing in a bathroom, but it was never really an issue at all. Roberts & Co. was able to tee this one up for their own home run. Hell, I'd almost say it was a grand slam. (Enough with the baseball metaphors)

I have little doubt the media in Charlotte would have taken a story about trans people being discriminated against, or assaulted, and ran with it, hard. It probably would have been ratings gold whether you are for or against the issue. Emotions would have ran high just hearing about such a story. People would have tuned in and sent ratings through the roof. But it never happened.

Looking from a different perspective, this really does have all of the marks of a political move. I really doubt Roberts has been a champion of the transgender folk in the past. The timing is way too suspect. She's been on the council in the past and has never made waves about such an issue. However, the Charlotte city council is a great place to launch a political career. Look at Sue Myrick and Pat McRory. Pat Cannon, Anthony Foxx, Billy Maddalon. I'm sure the list is longer.

No matter how you feel about HB2 or anything else, the history is telling.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:42 PM

21,872 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glmore View Post
I agree that Roberts picked a fight that didn't need started. I also agree that the media has blown this totally out of the water by pushing the bathroom agenda, when the real uproar should be regarding how an employee can no longer sue an employer through state court. She might have future political ambitions and this was the best way her camp decided to get her name out there.
I think that she handled the uproar poorly. She should have called a press conference to explain that this was just putting in writing what has been going on already & no one would notice any difference. She should have had a trans man & a trans woman with her. If sane people understood that they have already been in bathrooms with these people with no problems the general assembly wouldn't have had grounds to pass HB2.

Obviously, the general assembly was clueless. They now have trans men going into ladies rooms which is likely to create problems & now no one will know if a pervert decides to go in. That's just the icing on the cake. What should have everyone in an uproar is taking away everyone's right to sue for discrimination in state courts.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:49 PM

20,325 posts, read 10,399,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Did Roberts really try to do the right thing? Or did she go for the political home run? As Sunny pointed out, nothing has changed as far as gay rights. This was pretty much in reaction to a transgender issue that was never really an issue. There may have been a few people whining about a trans person pissing in a bathroom, but it was never really an issue at all. Roberts & Co. was able to tee this one up for their own home run. Hell, I'd almost say it was a grand slam. (Enough with the baseball metaphors)

I have little doubt the media in Charlotte would have taken a story about trans people being discriminated against, or assaulted, and ran with it, hard. It probably would have been ratings gold whether you are for or against the issue. Emotions would have ran high just hearing about such a story. People would have tuned in and sent ratings through the roof. But it never happened.

Looking from a different perspective, this really does have all of the marks of a political move. I really doubt Roberts has been a champion of the transgender folk in the past. The timing is way too suspect. She's been on the council in the past and has never made waves about such an issue. However, the Charlotte city council is a great place to launch a political career. Look at Sue Myrick and Pat McRory. Pat Cannon, Anthony Foxx, Billy Maddalon. I'm sure the list is longer.

No matter how you feel about HB2 or anything else, the history is telling.
My understanding is that Sexual orientation protections at the city level were removed by this law. So Charlotte, which had city ordinances regarding gays and public accommodations and employment now has no protections. Even further it removed the ability to take discrimination cases to state courts for any reason. There is an age discrimination case right now and the lady was told that she would have to take the company to federal court since the state courts were now not allowed to hear those cases even though age discrimination is against state law.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:04 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,480,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Man from this LGBT ruling to Ga and it's freedom religious bill. These Corporations are threatening to boycott or not do business at all. What do you guys think about this?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...all-star-game/
NBA announced on Twitter that the article is fake

Quote:
RT @NBAPR No truth to the fake ABC news account/report concerning the 2017 NBA All-Star Game. The NBA has made no new statements re: 2017 ASG

Old 04-10-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
My understanding is that Sexual orientation protections at the city level were removed by this law. So Charlotte, which had city ordinances regarding gays and public accommodations and employment now has no protections. Even further it removed the ability to take discrimination cases to state courts for any reason. There is an age discrimination case right now and the lady was told that she would have to take the company to federal court since the state courts were now not allowed to hear those cases even though age discrimination is against state law.
If you haven't read the text of HB2, I'd encourage you to read it. The State said that no city or town can create a law that is beyond what state law says. Agree or disagree, it is what it is, and Charlotte made this happen. Regardless of how you feel about it, only the NCGA can change it now.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:16 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,752,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
NBA announced on Twitter that the article is fake

well good to know....

Old 04-10-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I think that she handled the uproar poorly. She should have called a press conference to explain that this was just putting in writing what has been going on already & no one would notice any difference. She should have had a trans man & a trans woman with her. If sane people understood that they have already been in bathrooms with these people with no problems the general assembly wouldn't have had grounds to pass HB2.

Obviously, the general assembly was clueless. They now have trans men going into ladies rooms which is likely to create problems & now no one will know if a pervert decides to go in. That's just the icing on the cake. What should have everyone in an uproar is taking away everyone's right to sue for discrimination in state courts.
If Roberts didn't have an agenda, this would have never been an issue. No one would have paid any attention to it had things been left alone. She insisted on creating this mess. If NC loses any income or visitation, this is solely on her. The NCGA reacted to her agenda. I'll give that they overreacted, but this should have never been an issue. No one cared about any of this before she made it a problem. We would have all been happily living in blissful ignorance of the sexual identity of the person next to us had this not been turned into a huge problem. Now, we've got people looking (so to speak).

Just because you can bring an issue to to the forefront doesn't mean you should. Some things are just best left alone. Charlotte city council took a non-issue and made it into a national issue. I can't say that's a good use of their time and our taxpayer dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or