Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 06:33 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,554 times

Advertisements

Man from this LGBT ruling to Ga and it's freedom religious bill. These Corporations are threatening to boycott or not do business at all. Whatbdo you guys think about this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...all-star-game/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 08:45 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times
I think it was a bad move on North Carolina's part. NC all ready gets a bad rap for being a backward state, not forward thinking, known for rednecks, and just not progressive. The LGBT ruling just solidified it.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:43 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,103 times
There was already some discussion about it in this topic.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...bt-ruling.html

Old 03-27-2016, 09:43 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
I think that the NC legislature is going to regret this move. The social conservatives have forgotten that the fiscal conservatives help them win elections. Some of those fiscal conservatives are natives & others are transplants coming from places like North Jersey & New York. As a rule, fiscal conservatives are laissez-faire on social issues, unless it starts to effect the bottom line.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:45 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
Actually the NBA issued a politically correct statement saying that the law could have an impact on the decision to hold the game in NC. If the state doesn't blink, then the NBA has to decide whether to change their plans or not.

Anyway, to me it's just more saber-rattling from some vocal newsmakers that our media sucks up to. San Francisco doesn't want its employees travelling to NC on state business? Well, OK. Rob Reiner doesn't want to film in NC over this law? OK then.

To each their own. I just tired of the media lapdogs sucking up to any "celebrity" that wants to play the "I'll hold my breath game". Let's see where these celeb's hide from the cameras when (if) Trump gets elected and the ones that said they're moving out of the US are taken to task on their ridiculous statements.

BTW, I don't stand one way or the other on this law. My family does our best to avoid patronizing Charlotte for other reasons.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:53 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Actually the NBA issued a politically correct statement saying that the law could have an impact on the decision to hold the game in NC. If the state doesn't blink, then the NBA has to decide whether to change their plans or not.

Anyway, to me it's just more saber-rattling from some vocal newsmakers that our media sucks up to. San Francisco doesn't want its employees travelling to NC on state business? Well, OK. Rob Reiner doesn't want to film in NC over this law? OK then.

To each their own. I just tired of the media lapdogs sucking up to any "celebrity" that wants to play the "I'll hold my breath game". Let's see where these celeb's hide from the cameras when (if) Trump gets elected and the ones that said they're moving out of the US are taken to task on their ridiculous statements.

BTW, I don't stand one way or the other on this law. My family does our best to avoid patronizing Charlotte for other reasons.

Without Charlotte, Lake Norman wouldn't exist. Literally. You're welcome.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:20 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,202 times
Apple, American Airlines, Bank of America, Duke, ESPN, Facebook, Google, IBM, Lowe's, and PayPal have all shown public disproval of the ruling and all are major employers in the state.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:31 AM

3,909 posts, read 2,121,604 times
Should not punish Charlotte. Rather punish Raleigh! Have all the companies in the RTP come to Charlotte where everyone is welcome.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:10 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Should not punish Charlotte. Rather punish Raleigh! Have all the companies in the RTP come to Charlotte where everyone is welcome.

It's not Raleigh's nor Durham's fault neither! Both are very accepting places also. A good target would be Hendersonville & Shelby. The district that belongs to what's his face.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:30 PM

545 posts, read 594,473 times
I find it disappointing that the NC General Assembly could not leave well enough along and let Charlotte deal with any ramifications (if any) that this ordinance would create or not....local decisions for local issues. BUT OLE NO,,,they just have to play Big Brother and get their noses into something to rahrah their supporters in THEIR declining counties for the upcoming elections.

The thing that I find amusing though, especially with the NBA deciding or not to continue with the 2017 All Star Game, is that the league has NO problem playing in Communist China which has NO legalization of gay marriage, NO protection from discrimination for LGBT and of course is repressive in other spheres of life to ALL of their people (limited press freedom, expression of speech, expression of faith yada yada yada). And the same with other companies who have business dealing ins China who have expressed "concern" over this ruling for the state. To me it just screams hypocrisy and pandering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte