U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 11:14 AM

65 posts, read 170,365 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all -

I'm strongly considering a move this summer and Charlotte is on my short list. Currently, I'm living in Louisville, Kentucky. I love it, but I've been here for three years and I think it may be time for a change. I'm 32-year-old woman, single, and I have a large dog. So, tell me about Charlotte -

Is it a dog friendly city? Are there a good number of parks? What's the food-scene like (i.e. are there a good number of local restaurants, farmer's markets, microbreweries, etc)? Is it transplant friendly - meaning, are there ways to find a niche and get involved in the community? Are there lots of festivals and other things to do? How's the dating scene? What areas would be best to look to move? I like urban areas that have culture but are also safe.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 07:20 PM

71 posts, read 66,572 times
I've been in Charlotte for 11 years...moved from NY actually. I've spent lots of time in Louisville for work, dining, drinking, running, hopping from site to site and loved Louisville very much, and can say Charlotte is as good and better. I would actually accept moving to Louisviille if work necessitated. Be forewarned, you might run into much more NY/NJ people than in Louisville, as they are terrified of the concept of "Kentucky" but got word that "North Carolina" is OK. Just be prepared for that. My wife is a New Yorker and thought the capital of Kentucky was Tennessee!

Old 03-29-2016, 07:53 AM

Thanks for your reply! I absolutely love Louisville - the festivals, food and music scene, culture, the fact that it's not huge but it's not tiny. It's a nice fit. But I'm a speech pathologist and am able to find a job most anywhere - so I think change is in order. I'm glad you know both cities well enough to compare That makes me feel better about looking into Charlotte. And I lived in FL for a while - so I'm used to NY/NJ folks.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:31 AM

129 posts, read 151,963 times
And yes - the Charlotte area is very dog friendly!

Old 03-29-2016, 09:52 AM

Are dogs allowed on patios? In Louisville most outdoor seating allows you to bring your dog. Even some bars that don't sell food allow dogs inside.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:13 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,397,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganMRE View Post
Are dogs allowed on patios? In Louisville most outdoor seating allows you to bring your dog. Even some bars that don't sell food allow dogs inside.
Depends on the restaurant, but mostly yes.

One neat event for pet owners is each season the baseball team has a bring your dog to the game night. Fun event for dog owners.

There is an upcoming dog "Bark in the Park" festival that is fun.
Bark in the Park Top Dog Festival Presented by Purina and Harris Teeter

There are several dog parks around town, but I prefer the greenways and neighborhood walks for the dog as the parks are sometimes overcrowded. Generally, Charlotte is dog friendly and I see it only improving over time.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:39 AM

3,399 posts, read 4,812,761 times
https://youtu.be/ZXsQAXx_ao0
Just do it!

Old 03-29-2016, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,638 times
OP: I'm a 33 year old woman, single (no dog, though ) and contemplating a move to Charlotte this summer as well. I've gotten nothing but positive feedback on the idea!

Old 03-29-2016, 12:51 PM

3,399 posts, read 4,812,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA82 View Post
OP: I'm a 33 year old woman, single (no dog, though ) and contemplating a move to Charlotte this summer as well. I've gotten nothing but positive feedback on the idea!
See my previous post!

Old 03-29-2016, 04:30 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,017,542 times
If you like bigots and bible thumpers, NC's your place!

We legislate hate!

#thisisus! #NCisfordiscriminators #wejumpforjesus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or