U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 01:22 PM

10 posts, read 11,989 times

Advertisements

My wife and two children (3 & 7yrs old) are relocating to Charlotte this summer. We are looking to find a house to live in one of the South Charlotte neighborhoods. We've been reading these threads for 2 months now and it's been a great help in narrowing down potential neighborhoods. There are some limitations and criteria specific to our circumstances that have led me to asking the knowledgeable people here for help in ranking some neighborhoods based on our situation.

1. We have two kids who will be going to public school at least until high school. So good schools are number one priority.
2. We would like to keep our commute under 1 hour. We'll be working in the UNCC area.
3. Resale value. We hope to move back to California in the distant future so we want to buy something that will have strong resale value.
4. House specifics. 4 bed, 2+ bath. Enough space from neighbors so we don't know what they're talking about when the windows are open. We're not fans of 'Stepford' subdivisions where every third house is the same model.
5. Price range. Because we are not selling our current home ideally around $400K, would go up to $500K if absolutely wowed by a particular home.

Based on these criteria and reading many threads, here's where we rank some early favorites. Please let us know any additional neighborhoods and positive or negatives relating to them:
1. Myers Park - somewhat expensive hard to find house in price range
2. Carmel - looks almost perfect
3. Beverly Woods - good amount of homes we can afford though somewhat smaller inside & out.
4. Mountainbrook - can't find many cons here
5. Piper Glen - many homes seem slightly out of our price range
6. Sherwood Forest - haven't seen much available for sale yet
7. Sardis Forest - schools don't score well on the online evaluators
8. Rain tree Country club - great prices/square foot. Read some negative comments on here about the neighborhood trending down. Worries me about resale.
9. Old Providence - haven't really looked into this neighborhood yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 02:08 PM

71 posts, read 66,120 times
I would not like the commute from South Charlotte into UNCC. You have the potential to catch the inbound morning and outbound afternoon from the city, plus the chronic accidents and horrible traffic on I-85 if you go that way. As nice as South Charlotte is, you might avoid bad commute if you looked into Lake Norman areas and Concord perhaps?

Old 03-30-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBetaZeta View Post
I would not like the commute from South Charlotte into UNCC. You have the potential to catch the inbound morning and outbound afternoon from the city, plus the chronic accidents and horrible traffic on I-85 if you go that way. As nice as South Charlotte is, you might avoid bad commute if you looked into Lake Norman areas and Concord perhaps?
Thank you. The only neighborhood my wife signed off on to the North is Davidson. I can look into Lake Norman and Concord and make a case for them if the commute from South Charlotte to UNCC will consistently be more than an hour in your estimation. We've been to Charlotte and driven through prospective neighborhoods. She really likes the walkability, proximity to a variety of dining and shopping areas, old growth trees and character of the homes in south Charlotte. Neither of us have been through Lake Norman or Concord neighborhoods although we did take a boat out on Lake Norman and saw many beautiful mansions along the lakefront. We've read the racetrack and airport in Concord can be annoying at times.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:15 PM

71 posts, read 66,120 times
Another thing I forgot to mention is the Lynx Blue Line Extension. It is light rail that will connect uptown Charlotte to UNCC, giving one continuous ride from 485/South Blvd to UNCC. Prob finished in next year or so. Other people will chime in with better info on getting to UNCC I am sure....

Old 03-30-2016, 03:41 PM

3,412 posts, read 3,205,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 310onPCH View Post
Thank you. The only neighborhood my wife signed off on to the North is Davidson. I can look into Lake Norman and Concord and make a case for them if the commute from South Charlotte to UNCC will consistently be more than an hour in your estimation. We've been to Charlotte and driven through prospective neighborhoods. She really likes the walkability, proximity to a variety of dining and shopping areas, old growth trees and character of the homes in south Charlotte. Neither of us have been through Lake Norman or Concord neighborhoods although we did take a boat out on Lake Norman and saw many beautiful mansions along the lakefront. We've read the racetrack and airport in Concord can be annoying at times.
If you live to the west of I85 around Lowe's Motor Speedway it's not annoying. I've lived here for 10 years. Check out the neighborhood's that are zoned for Odell ES,Cox Mill ES , Harris road middle and Cox Mill HS. You can also check out Highland Creek ES, Ridge road middle and Mallard Creek HS. The commute to UNCC from these neighborhoods with those schools will be about 25-30 minutes perhaps less.

I don't know why anyone would tell you the Concord airport is annoying. It's mainly small planes, NASCAR teams and Allegiant (they only fly out a couple of times a week and I live less than 3 miles from that airport and have never heard nor seen planes flying in and out.)

Old 03-30-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
If you live to the west of I85 around Lowe's Motor Speedway it's not annoying. I've lived here for 10 years. Check out the neighborhood's that are zoned for Odell ES,Cox Mill ES , Harris road middle and Cox Mill HS. You can also check out Highland Creek ES, Ridge road middle and Mallard Creek HS. The commute to UNCC from these neighborhoods with those schools will be about 25-30 minutes perhaps less.

I don't know why anyone would tell you the Concord airport is annoying. It's mainly small planes, NASCAR teams and Allegiant (they only fly out a couple of times a week and I live less than 3 miles from that airport and have never heard nor seen planes flying in and out.)
Thanks. I'll look into those. I've mapped the commute from parts of south Charlotte and the time that comes up is usually around 42 minutes. I'm sure it doesn't take all traffic conditions into consideration but this app is supposed to account for normal traffic conditions. We're willing to sacrifice some extra time commuting to be in a neighborhood that we love. We live in Los Angeles currently and face long commutes now but it's worth it to live close to the ocean for us.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:09 PM

3,412 posts, read 3,205,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 310onPCH View Post
Thanks. I'll look into those. I've mapped the commute from parts of south Charlotte and the time that comes up is usually around 42 minutes. I'm sure it doesn't take all traffic conditions into consideration but this app is supposed to account for normal traffic conditions. We're willing to sacrifice some extra time commuting to be in a neighborhood that we love. We live in Los Angeles currently and face long commutes now but it's worth it to live close to the ocean for us.
It takes me 45 minutes to get to South Charlotte with zero traffic just because of the distance. I'm not far from UNCC as I'm near Concord Mills.

We moved down from the DC area so to me the traffic isn't so bad. It seems rush hour lasts about an hour or a bit longer.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:52 PM

2,833 posts, read 4,141,891 times
I would hate to commute to UNCC from any of those neighborhoods on a daily basis however, I know there are people that do it. If you decide on south Charlotte my choices would be Myers Park, Carmel Road area (this is not a specific neighborhood), Beverly Woods or my favorite - Mountainbrook. I would not choose Piper Glen or Raintree due to the additional distance.

If I were commuting to UNCC everyday in the $400 - $500 price range I would consider some of the nicer areas in Concord/Harrisburg. There are some good schools there and having a 15 minute commute would make my life much happier!

Good luck.

Edited to add that I believe there is a CATS bus that picks up at Southpark Mall and travels to UNCC. That might be an option - at least you could read a book or get some work done instead of driving the whole way.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I would hate to commute to UNCC from any of those neighborhoods on a daily basis however, I know there are people that do it. If you decide on south Charlotte my choices would be Myers Park, Carmel Road area (this is not a specific neighborhood), Beverly Woods or my favorite - Mountainbrook. I would not choose Piper Glen or Raintree due to the additional distance.

If I were commuting to UNCC everyday in the $400 - $500 price range I would consider some of the nicer areas in Concord/Harrisburg. There are some good schools there and having a 15 minute commute would make my life much happier!

Good luck.

Edited to add that I believe there is a CATS bus that picks up at Southpark Mall and travels to UNCC. That might be an option - at least you could read a book or get some work done instead of driving the whole way.
Thanks for the suggestions. I did a quick search of Concord, Harrisburg and Kannapolis and found a few really sweet houses well within our budget. I'm not at all familiar with that area. Are there good restaurants, coffee shops, movie theaters and the like close by? I assume they have good grocery stores. The South Park mall is a big draw with its stores and restaurants, shops, etc... proximity to that drew us to south Charlotte as well as these boards and a couple friends who live in Charlotte. Also there seem to be some nice parks in that area as well. Does Concord, Harrisburg have a downtown type area that's walkable or do folks go to uptown?

Old 03-30-2016, 05:50 PM

294 posts, read 487,790 times
I'm a transplant from CA who currently splits time between the 2 states. I think the suggestions that others gave about the Concord area are good. There are some nice areas to the west of Concord Mills Mall and the schools are good in that area. NASCAR and the Concord airport are non-issues, in my opinion. Only 2 big races a year at the raceway and like someone else mentioned there are very few flights and small planes out of Concord airport. Traffic is not nearly as bad as LA but the highways do not have as many lanes so they can back up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or