U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 01:17 PM

343 posts, read 486,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksuther View Post
I've lived in Raleigh (9 years) and Charlotte (10 years) and my wife's family is from Nashville so I have spent plenty of time there too.

Charlotte feels the most like a big city. Nashville is not far behind. Raleigh always felt disconnected to me; like a bunch of suburbs trying to be a city. The Raleigh downtown area is growing though. All 3 have excellent suburban areas to live, but Charlotte gives you the added bonus of being near a larger city with more options.

All 3 will have plenty of conservative areas. All 3 will offer plenty of outdoor activities (lakes, biking, hiking, greenways, parks, etc), but Charlotte is the most centrally located to both mountains and beaches. Also, Charlotte has the Whitewater Center and Carowinds.

You can't go wrong with any of the 3 metro areas. They are all similar in many ways, with a few unique differences. IMO, I would rank in order of my preference: 1. Charlotte 2. Raleigh 3. Nashville, but that is mainly due to the fact that I appreciate the proximity to the coast.
For clarification, I chose Raleigh over Nashville for #2 due to the proximity to the coast. Charlotte is by far #1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 02:32 PM

10,389 posts, read 19,358,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearls712 View Post
I know NC has a flat income tax rate of 5.75%.On a salary of $100,000 per year that would be close to $6,000.That is almost $500 per month in extra state income taxes.The Nashville area also has lower property taxes than the NC areas we were looking at.Financially the Nashville area makes more sense.
Also bear in mind that the legislature here has just added lots of extra things that are now subject to sales tax: haircuts, movie tickets, even car repairs. I just had a $3000 car repair bill that cost and extra $200+ because of sales tax What tiny bit I may have saved in income tax since the "cut" last year is now eaten up.

Quote:
What are your thoughts on severe weather in comparing Charlotte/Raleigh and Nashville? That is something we have HATED about living in the Dallas area.
People an an NC board may now know Nashville that well, to compare, but isn't it near a big earthquake fault line? Also, near the middle of the country is more prone to tornados, yes? There are probably climate sites like NOAA that you can research things like that. OTOH, Nashville doesn't have to worry about hurricanes, which affect Raleigh the most of the 3 cities.

Quote:
Are the crime numbers that different for Williamson county in TN,Union county in NC and Wake county in NC?
You can research this independently--I doubt anybody on the NC board is going to know the crime rates for TN counties without doing the same research you can do.

Quote:
Do you feel like Raleigh area is kind of on track to becoming the NY/NJ of the south? NO OFFENSE to anyone from NY/NJ. My busband and I have not actually lived in NY/NJ since college,we grew up there as kids but would never want to live there again or chase that "fast" vibe elsewhere.
In many ways, yes. Just read through the number of questions on the forum about folks flocking here from there.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:55 PM

464 posts, read 409,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Uptown Charlotte alone makes you feel like you're in a much bigger city than Raleigh or Nashville.
That's it..one area? With all the talk of Charlotte being the city in NC, it sure doesn't dominate the state at all. Like I've always said, it has to share its prominence with the Triangle, and always will lol. Anyway, whatever you choose OP will be a great choice. C-D is bias though, so make your own decision.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:27 PM

550 posts, read 1,168,362 times
To the OP.....if you want info regarding Nashville...you might want to post a question in the Nashville forum.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:35 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,181,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
That's it..one area? With all the talk of Charlotte being the city in NC, it sure doesn't dominate the state at all. Like I've always said, it has to share its prominence with the Triangle, and always will lol. Anyway, whatever you choose OP will be a great choice. C-D is bias though, so make your own decision.
OMG here you go saying informing that the op clearly cares nothing about. He didn't ask for prominence or dominance of the cities. If you don't have any useful information to post then don't post at all.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:08 AM

464 posts, read 409,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
OMG here you go saying informing that the op clearly cares nothing about. He didn't ask for prominence or dominance of the cities. If you don't have any useful information to post then don't post at all.
Why are you only quoting me? A lot of posters gave information that wasn't asked by the OP. Obviously what I said bothered you at some level, and that's ok lol. Charlotte has a lot ( according to that tv ad they play every 10 seconds) so I'm sure it will continue to prosper along side the Triangle

Old 04-09-2016, 10:00 PM

294 posts, read 152,951 times
I have noticed several times, on Charlotte forums, the guys from Raleigh bragging about their abundance of craft beer establishments. I am a bit confused by this? Asheville, Charlotte, and Raleigh all have about the same number of craft beer establishments. All three have an abundance of live music outlets and bars. Do the guys in Raleigh think that no other city in NC has craft beer establishments? Just asking?

Old 04-11-2016, 06:35 AM

343 posts, read 486,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
I have noticed several times, on Charlotte forums, the guys from Raleigh bragging about their abundance of craft beer establishments. I am a bit confused by this? Asheville, Charlotte, and Raleigh all have about the same number of craft beer establishments. All three have an abundance of live music outlets and bars. Do the guys in Raleigh think that no other city in NC has craft beer establishments? Just asking?
The craft beer scene in Raleigh blows compared to Charlotte. Raleigh has really good craft beer BARS, but the breweries are just average.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:35 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,867,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
Why are you only quoting me? A lot of posters gave information that wasn't asked by the OP. Obviously what I said bothered you at some level, and that's ok lol. Charlotte has a lot ( according to that tv ad they play every 10 seconds) so I'm sure it will continue to prosper along side the Triangle
If the OP is interested in better-ranked higher education, then the Triangle is for them. If not, Charlotte offers more, has more opportunities, better recognition, more people, etc. Don't be upset, dahling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or