Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2016, 08:15 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times

Advertisements

I've got a smallish back yard I'm going to work on over the next couple years and I'd like to get some "outside eyes" on it. I've contemplated hiring someone, but I figured I would ask here first.

I'm in Zone 8A, Charlotte, NC. My yard is part shade, part sun. Soil is a lot of clay, but I'm not opposed to trucking in screeened dirt and discing the whole thing. At the moment, fescue is going nuts in the yard because of the work I've done over the pasty 2 years. Grass is not an issue.

If anyone here is wanting to try their hand at this thing, we might be able to work out a trade. I obviously wouldn't exepect someone to put in effort and not get something.

If you're trying to build a portfolio and you have some patience (to work with my budget, my wife is expensive ) I'm your guy.

DM me if you're interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 01:41 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Call local nurseries and ask if they help with design. By me, many have a few people on staff that will sketch pictures/ give you ideas if you show them pics of your backyard for free (they assume you buy plants from them). Also, they will know what grows well in your area.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:56 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Finding a "good" landscape designer/architect is VERY difficult. I think they do too much commercial work with the same old bland designs and same old undistinguished plants.

If you can find someone who wants to use their creative juices for design and plant selection, you will have found a gem (assumes they are competent as well).

Old 04-11-2016, 02:06 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,156 times
I've worked as a landscape designer/horticultralist over 20 years,however from experience I can say you would be best to hire someone locally who understands your climate, zone and soil type etc.

Start by making a wish list along with an 'absolutely not' list, take note of your gardens orientation (shady spots, sunny spots and sun traps). If you do some of the footwork for the landscaper they should be able to bash out a plan for you pretty easily.

Ask at local garden centers and maybe even put a small ad in a local paper or craigslist for a landscaper.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:30 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,264 times
Having lived in Charlotte for many years I just want
you to know that lots of plants can grow in the red clay soil,
of course lots also do not really like it.
You should really post this in the Charlotte forum and see
if you get any bites.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:22 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
It is not very likely that you will find a landscape designer willing to work for free and on your schedule. Good ones are gems and they know it. The others are not worth the trouble in my opinion.

Most local garden centers offer design services which will be credited to a purchase. Check around for commercial suppliers which sometimes are open to the public on specific days. Local plant material versus big box store can make the difference.

Do you have the equipment and man power for a garden redo? Shoveling a truckload of soil is not amending what is there. Drainage, soil testing, as already mentioned sun and shade pattern, ... You need a budget, plan and plant in stages if necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: