U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 05:58 PM

12 posts, read 18,999 times

Advertisements

Go sell your views somewhere else. I'm sure your little agenda is cute in Madison or Minneapolis. Your views and opinions will not be valued here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 06:46 PM

5 posts, read 11,277 times
I wasn't selling any of my views. Sorry you have to feel that way and prejudge us in such a manner. We will be just like the other thousands of transplants that are already or will be coming down there.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 610 times
Smile Relocating to Cornelius NC

Hello thinking of relocating to Cornelius at Lake Norman in a condo our daughter just recently married and lives in Asheville we’re not too big on the steep drops and going around the mountains with no railings so we’re looking for a little bit more level playing field my questions are how bad are the mosquitoes and how bad are the gators we are from Orlando Florida and don’t have mosquitoes where we currently live but we do have gators so I do not let my small puppies or myself near the edge of the water in the pond or the lakes Looking forward to a change of scenery mostly change in the seasons being hot all the time is boring can anyone tell me if the leaves turn there to see the beautiful fall foliage and are the seasons mild another words with my husband freeze to death in the winter? LOL he doesn’t like the cold too much but he doesn’t like the hot humid sticky weather either I told him he can’t have it all LOL looking forward to your response for in those that live there and are in The know

Old 09-19-2018, 04:27 AM

1,453 posts, read 994,486 times
It is too cold for gators in the Charlotte area in winter and this isn't their natural habitat. You will be fine at Lake Norman.

There are mosquitos in the area but if the condo association sprays it can help dramatically.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:46 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,703,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Providets View Post
Hello thinking of relocating to Cornelius at Lake Norman in a condo our daughter just recently married and lives in Asheville we’re not too big on the steep drops and going around the mountains with no railings so we’re looking for a little bit more level playing field my questions are how bad are the mosquitoes and how bad are the gators we are from Orlando Florida and don’t have mosquitoes where we currently live but we do have gators so I do not let my small puppies or myself near the edge of the water in the pond or the lakes Looking forward to a change of scenery mostly change in the seasons being hot all the time is boring can anyone tell me if the leaves turn there to see the beautiful fall foliage and are the seasons mild another words with my husband freeze to death in the winter? LOL he doesn’t like the cold too much but he doesn’t like the hot humid sticky weather either I told him he can’t have it all LOL looking forward to your response for in those that live there and are in The know
Good news: no gators and mostly mild winters

Bad news: yes there are mosquitos, summer is hot (but should be better than Orlando), and there will often be at least a few really cold (like single-digits/teens temperature). No gators but there are snakes.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:09 PM

191 posts, read 317,374 times
Smile From one Gator Lover to Another (kidding)

I get a kick out of your question because originally I am from Lousiana, but moved to NC from Florida and it took me a good year to believe my husband that there weren't any gators in the lake! He was right, some pretty big fish, but that's about all. You will love the change of season. Even though Orlando has some seasonal weather, it is simply stunning to see the fall foliage here. Cornelius and Davidson are lovely areas. If you want to get into a lower property tax, you may want to head into Iredell County. The mosquitos aren't too bad, but I seem to attract them. My husband keeps some citronella cancels outside which helps, and a screen porch really will be a life saver. Yes, if you are from Florida....you will think our winters are crazy cold. After a few years you will adjust and luckily they are pretty quick. Best of luck with the move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providets View Post

Old 10-12-2018, 02:31 PM

651 posts, read 573,791 times
The South is changing in regards to religion. there are a lot of religious people, but most people are not on a mission to be soul winners when they are out on the town. People in Charlotte are nice and you will experience some southern hospitality, but for the most part, people are not asking each other about their religious beliefs or where they go to church. For some that do, it's just for a conversation. Nothing more. Don't sweat religion while in Charlotte. You will be fine.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:12 PM

164 posts, read 615,522 times
Are taxes cheaper in Mooresville than say Davidson? From our initial house search they seemed higher.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:17 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,369,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipbags View Post
Are taxes cheaper in Mooresville than say Davidson? From our initial house search they seemed higher.
All NC property tax rates can be found here: https://files.nc.gov/ncdor/documents...18taxrates.pdf

In NC, county and city property taxes are separate. If you are in a city, you pay both county and city. Rates are expressed in terms of $100 of valuation (assessed value, not purchase price). The tax rate in Mooresville (including Iredell County) is $1.1075 per $100. Most of Davidson is in Mecklenburg County, but a portion is in Iredell. The tax rate for the portion of Davidson in Iredell County is $0.8775 and the portion in Mecklenburg is $1.1657.

Remember that the tax rate is only half of the equation; the assessed value also determines the amount of the tax.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:59 PM

7,181 posts, read 11,197,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
All NC property tax rates can be found here: https://files.nc.gov/ncdor/documents...18taxrates.pdf

In NC, county and city property taxes are separate. If you are in a city, you pay both county and city. Rates are expressed in terms of $100 of valuation (assessed value, not purchase price). The tax rate in Mooresville (including Iredell County) is $1.1075 per $100. Most of Davidson is in Mecklenburg County, but a portion is in Iredell. The tax rate for the portion of Davidson in Iredell County is $0.8775 and the portion in Mecklenburg is $1.1657.

Remember that the tax rate is only half of the equation; the assessed value also determines the amount of the tax.
The key point here is that you can live outside the city limits and pay about half in taxes. Our last house was around $.60 per $100 with a Mooresville address, but physically located outside city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or