Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 03:54 PM

5 posts, read 15,764 times

Advertisements

Hello all. New to the forum. Have tried using the search function but didn't quite generate the results I was looking for. My apologies if these have been answered elsewhere.

My wife and I will soon (later this year) be moving from Wisconsin to the Lake Norman area as I've landed a job in Uptown Charlotte. We don't have any childeren and have lived in WI (Madison) and MN (Twin Cities) throughout our lives. We are looking forward to the new life down there and can't wait to finally escape the brutality of the winters up here. We visited two months ago and really like Huntersville but also open to the adjacent towns of Cornelius, Davidson and Mooresville. Looking for a 2 bedroom detached home with a budget of around $300-500K. The area seems fairly new to us when we explored.

Now to the questions:

1) How bad are the mosquitoes? Is this mainly a summer nuisance or an issue that extends during the spring and fall months? Are skin repellents necessary?

2) Considering we are an atheist couple moving into a bible belt region, will this be a problem in meeting new people in the community? We don't plan on indicating our religious status voluntarily while introducing ourselves. But will there be a backlash and will we be given the cold shoulders should we politely decline an invitation by someone to be part of their church? From our experiences, this position has never been an issue for us in WI nor MN. We've always been respectful of others' beliefs and don't have an issue with someone else's faith. At the same time, we would not appreciate it when folks "aggressively" try to convert us into their religion.

3) What are some of the most popular sports that people down there follow and partake, both on the professional and collegian level? I've heard NASCAR is huge. Do the Panthers and Hornets have a large base of hardcore dedicated fans compared to the fair weather ones?

4) Out of curiosity, are there any other natives from Wisconsin and Minnesota who have relocated to the Lake Norman area? What are the chances of us bumping into them?

5) Having lived in fairly liberal cities throughout our lives, how conservative or liberal is the Lake Norman region in general on a scale of 1-10? 1 being very conservative, 5 being moderate and 10 being very liberal.

6) Besides the weather, what other cultural shock in NC should we expect for someone coming from WI?

Thank you all for your opinions and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 05:33 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,153,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stakeholder718 View Post
Hello all. New to the forum. Have tried using the search function but didn't quite generate the results I was looking for. My apologies if these have been answered elsewhere.

My wife and I will soon (later this year) be moving from Wisconsin to the Lake Norman area as I've landed a job in Uptown Charlotte. We don't have any childeren and have lived in WI (Madison) and MN (Twin Cities) throughout our lives. We are looking forward to the new life down there and can't wait to finally escape the brutality of the winters up here. We visited two months ago and really like Huntersville but also open to the adjacent towns of Cornelius, Davidson and Mooresville. Looking for a 2 bedroom detached home with a budget of around $300-500K. The area seems fairly new to us when we explored.

Now to the questions:

1) How bad are the mosquitoes? Is this mainly a summer nuisance or an issue that extends during the spring and fall months? Are skin repellents necessary?

they are definitely here. We manage, still. Some people spray their yards, some spray their skin... Me? I just wear pants and sleeves if I'm working in the shade. They won't bother you in the sun or wind and around here are primarily crepuscular, so it's a fleeting daily occurrence.

2) Considering we are an atheist couple moving into a bible belt region, will this be a problem in meeting new people in the community? We don't plan on indicating our religious status voluntarily while introducing ourselves. But will there be a backlash and will we be given the cold shoulders should we politely decline an invitation by someone to be part of their church? From our experiences, this position has never been an issue for us in WI nor MN. We've always been respectful of others' beliefs and don't have an issue with someone else's faith. At the same time, we would not appreciate it when folks "aggressively" try to convert us into their religion.

should be fine. But there are evangelicals... Maybe I'm just used to it, but they mostly just embarrass us from Raleigh.

3) What are some of the most popular sports that people down there follow and partake, both on the professional and collegian level? I've heard NASCAR is huge. Do the Panthers and Hornets have a large base of hardcore dedicated fans compared to the fair weather ones?

college sports are very popular. Football and basketball. We have NFL and NBA too though, and most northern transplants are big pro fans. You can recognize their state of origin by their hideous jerseys.

4) Out of curiosity, are there any other natives from Wisconsin and Minnesota who have relocated to the Lake Norman area? What are the chances of us bumping into them?

they're here. I'm not one.

5) Having lived in fairly liberal cities throughout our lives, how conservative or liberal is the Lake Norman region in general on a scale of 1-10? 1 being very conservative, 5 being moderate and 10 being very liberal.

3-6, depending on neighbors. Lake Notman and the north lying exurbs are considerably more conservative than the city proper. Although I've always considered Davidson a (relative) liberal enclave

6) Besides the weather, what other cultural shock in NC should we expect for someone coming from WI?

as a local I'm probably not much help with that question.

Good luck.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:12 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,371,080 times
Hope you like traffic, get ready for a terrible commute from Huntersville to Uptown.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the advice and responses.

While no doubt the winters will be a nice change, I read somewhere that summers will be a different story. We have summer humidity here in WI that can be stifling, but have been told that it doesn't compare to the level down there? So I guess we should expect to spend more on our electric bills between June and September?

With regards to traffic commute, I'm certain it won't be as quiet as Madison. But I've lived in the twin cities where an hour's drive to work was the norm (or even longer depending on weather). Is Charlotte's pace comparable to that of Mpls/St. Paul?

If I'm not mistaken, Lake Norman is far away from the gator regions of the state?

Old 04-03-2016, 08:28 PM

129 posts, read 199,519 times
I live in the Lake Norman area in Cornelius. My husband works in Uptown. He decided to take the Express Buss from Huntersville Park and Ride instead of driving. His average commute is 30 minutes in and 45 minutes home.

I live in a condo on the lake, and we marvel every year that we do not see a mosquito here, but that is us. I am not sure how they are in other areas.

Culture Shock? I moved from Long Island in NY and did not experience any. Good restaurants abound, movie theatres, all the shopping I need and I have made amazing friends. We go to local theatre at Davidson College and then to shows at the Blumenthal in Charlotte.

I am enjoying the outdoors more than I ever had.

I highly recommend meetups.com to find things that interest you and a great way to meet people.

With your budget - you can find an amazing home!

Welcome to Lake Norman!

Old 04-03-2016, 09:06 PM

193 posts, read 492,553 times
Default Welcome to the South

Now to the questions:

Really, it's not that bad....I think the mosquitoes near the northern lakes to be Much worse! If we are going hiking, we generally spray a bit onto our skin. In the thick of summer, my husband will light a few mosquito repellant candles outside if we are eating outdoors.

My husband, while not atheist, not quite religious. We had a few instances in the beginning of moving here, but it didn't take long for people to judge us on our actions rather than our religious affiliation. I think you will find in the smaller neighborhoods especially, an invitation or two to church, but I've never seen anyone offended when or if we declined.

Yes, we have a huge Panther fan base, especially after the super bowl last year!

To be honest, I haven't seen a huge influx of people from the Wisconsin/Minnesota, but I have met a few. I'm not sure if you'll bump into them, but really we are a community of transplants, so everyone seems to find something to bond over. My husband grew up spending summers in Wisconsin (Lake Redstone), I'll be glad to introduce you!

5) Having lived in fairly liberal cities throughout our lives, how conservative or liberal is the Lake Norman region in general on a scale of 1-10? 1 being very conservative, 5 being moderate and 10 being very liberal. I'd say that Mooresville and Cornelius feel a bit more conservative, and areas closer to the city center seem a bit more liberal. I think because we are truly home to people from all over the world, most people seem to be pretty open to other peoples view points. Davidson really feels a lot like Madison to me.

6) Besides the weather, what other cultural shock in NC should we expect for someone coming from WI? I've spent a great deal of time in MN (former Northwest flight attendant) and I don't think you're really in for too much of a culture shock. Both areas have very friendly people. I've never met a stranger in either place. No one here will know what a hot dish is, but I think you will find everyone really welcoming. I haven't had a client yet to complain about the relocation!

Old 04-03-2016, 09:42 PM

776 posts, read 1,056,039 times
enjoy the new tolls! Id move into charlotte

Old 04-04-2016, 05:51 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,436,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stakeholder718 View Post
Thanks for the advice and responses.

While no doubt the winters will be a nice change, I read somewhere that summers will be a different story. We have summer humidity here in WI that can be stifling, but have been told that it doesn't compare to the level down there? So I guess we should expect to spend more on our electric bills between June and September?

With regards to traffic commute, I'm certain it won't be as quiet as Madison. But I've lived in the twin cities where an hour's drive to work was the norm (or even longer depending on weather). Is Charlotte's pace comparable to that of Mpls/St. Paul?

If I'm not mistaken, Lake Norman is far away from the gator regions of the state?
Tons of gators in the area but Lowe's sells gator repellent so you should be OK.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:28 PM

5 posts, read 10,305 times
Default Also from Wisconsin and relocating

Hi,
There is a group from Racine, Wisconsin relocating gradually with Sealed Air, my husband's company. We are moving in 2017 but many have moved already. I think most of them moved to Belmont, Fort Mill and the city, from what I have heard so far. But they/we are coming! =) There should be a Packers Club forming LOL .
We are also on the liberal less religious side, though we currently attend a church here for our children's benefit and for secular reasons such as meeting people. So I will probably look for a similar church there.
We are looking at Belmont, Matthews, and maybe up north near Huntersville, though the traffic is a concern there.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LItoCharlotte View Post
I live in the Lake Norman area in Cornelius. My husband works in Uptown. He decided to take the Express Buss from Huntersville Park and Ride instead of driving. His average commute is 30 minutes in and 45 minutes home.
I won't hesitate to commute via bus. At least on the way home, I can nap while stuck in traffic. Is there a park & ride lot?

Cornelius looks very attractive having done more browsing via google street view and my wife agrees. Though it seems more upscale than Huntersville and commands the higher price tag.

Is Birkdale Village the main shopping/dining center in that area without having to put up with the freeway traffic?
Quote:
I highly recommend meetups.com to find things that interest you and a great way to meet people.
Yes we've been contemplating meetups as a way to introduce ourselves to the community. I could not agree more!
Quote:
Welcome to Lake Norman!
Thank you! I received your PM and have responded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlaagnini View Post
My husband, while not atheist, not quite religious. We had a few instances in the beginning of moving here, but it didn't take long for people to judge us on our actions rather than our religious affiliation. I think you will find in the smaller neighborhoods especially, an invitation or two to church, but I've never seen anyone offended when or if we declined.
That's great to hear and thanks for alleviating our concerns.
Quote:
but really we are a community of transplants, so everyone seems to find something to bond over. My husband grew up spending summers in Wisconsin (Lake Redstone), I'll be glad to introduce you!
One thing we noticed when we visited was the (rather) lack of southern accent. Those without the drawl seem to outnumber the ones with it in great numbers. So that explains it I guess. We are open to meeting new people!
Quote:
I've spent a great deal of time in MN (former Northwest flight attendant) and I don't think you're really in for too much of a culture shock. Both areas have very friendly people. I've never met a stranger in either place. No one here will know what a hot dish is, but I think you will find everyone really welcoming. I haven't had a client yet to complain about the relocation!
I wonder if there is a difference between the Minnesota/Wisconsin Nice vs the Southern Hospitality tags? I guess we shall find out soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Tons of gators in the area but Lowe's sells gator repellent so you should be OK.
LOL!

BTW someone told me the other day NC ranks among the top 10 states in having the most fried chicken fast food joints per capita. Is that a myth or an accurate assessment?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky2006 View Post
Hi,
There is a group from Racine, Wisconsin relocating gradually with Sealed Air, my husband's company. We are moving in 2017 but many have moved already. I think most of them moved to Belmont, Fort Mill and the city, from what I have heard so far. But they/we are coming! =) There should be a Packers Club forming LOL .
I did more research and noticed there is a Charlotte Chapter for the alumni association of our Alma Mater.
Charlotte Chapter - Wisconsin Alumni Association

So maybe this is one way for us to meet fellow cheeseheads down there. Though as I stated earlier, we are looking forward to meeting all kinds of people from different backgrounds.

Anyways for those that are originally from WI/MN and are currently living in the greater Charlotte area, please share your stories on the pros/cons and what you like/dislike from both regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte