U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2006, 10:14 AM

7,339 posts, read 16,650,851 times

Advertisements

Last week it was all over the news about the tornado (tornado's?) that touched down in the one part of NC and destroyed homes and some folks were killed. Just how far from Charlotte was this twister? Did Charlotte get any "heavy weather" due to the twister?
Now, today Nov 11, I'm reading about the heavy rains that are falling in 2/3 of NC, including the Charlotte area. Is this typical weather for NC and the Charlotte area for this time of year? My wife's sister called us here in Colorado last Thursday asking (and worried) about us moving to the Charlotte area next year. Should she be worried or will it (weather wise) be fine moving there next year?
One last thing, we know that the Charlotte area does get "some" snow during their winter, but about when does that snow hit? The "milder than Denver winter" is why we want to move to the Charlotte area.
Please tell us what you can.......THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2006, 11:14 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,680,594 times
Riegelwood, NC, where the recent fatal tornado was, is around 180 miles east of Charlotte.

Snowfall - Average Total In Inches
(including ice pellets and sleet)

Denver, CO
60.3"

Charlotte, NC
5.5"

Normally, January is the most active month for snow/sleet in Charlotte. Charlotte's January weather appears to be close to Denver's March weather.

Last edited by mm34b; 11-22-2006 at 11:34 AM..

Old 11-22-2006, 11:35 AM

23 posts, read 55,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Last week it was all over the news about the tornado (tornado's?) that touched down in the one part of NC and destroyed homes and some folks were killed. Just how far from Charlotte was this twister? Did Charlotte get any "heavy weather" due to the twister?
Now, today Nov 11, I'm reading about the heavy rains that are falling in 2/3 of NC, including the Charlotte area. Is this typical weather for NC and the Charlotte area for this time of year? My wife's sister called us here in Colorado last Thursday asking (and worried) about us moving to the Charlotte area next year. Should she be worried or will it (weather wise) be fine moving there next year?
One last thing, we know that the Charlotte area does get "some" snow during their winter, but about when does that snow hit? The "milder than Denver winter" is why we want to move to the Charlotte area.
Please tell us what you can.......THANKS!!
Ummm you're worried about moving next year because of some not so perfect weather we're having this week????..... I'm not sure how close those tornados were because I'm still with no tv going on 3 weeks without (waiting to get cable hooked up) But the weather where I'm at wasn't that bad, infact I didn't even know about the tornado warnings until my son got home from school and said he heard someone talking about it. He also said he laughed because he's so used to tornado warnings that it's hard to wrooy about them (having just moved from Illinois) Plus though it's pretty cold and rainy today, and yesterday tomorrow it's back to sunny and 60+ so I'll take a little rain and a couple of cold days. Anytime I can go to a Thanksgiving parade and only wear a sweatshirt, instead of a parka and mittens I'll take it.
As for snow.... if you're moving from Denver, don't worry about snow fall here, it will seem like nothing I'm sure.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:11 PM

7,339 posts, read 16,650,851 times
Actually, it wasn't us (wife and I) that was worried about the weather there, it was my wife's sister who lives in "boring" weather, Ontario, California (Southern Calif.). If we were in the middle of a bad lightning/T-storm at our house, we have called and told her what was going on. She was in awe and would say to us, "it must be awful scary living there", we would say, "no, not really". We have also called her when there was a snow "white out" going on at our house and she reacted the same way. She is originally from Detroit, Mich, but has lived out in Southern California for many years.
By the way, thanks for the info you gave us.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:09 PM

421 posts, read 258,926 times
I hope these tornado warnings are not a habit. I'm moving in 2 months and I will for certain have to face me fears. I was disturbed to find out Iredell county had a couple of small tornados.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or