U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-12-2008, 02:51 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
Reputation: 22375

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I had a sneeking suspicion that you'd go for the tea rather than the lemonade. One of the great things about this area is how much more "gardening season" you have. More is always better! I have all my seed catalogs to peruse with dreams of a new spring paradise. A couple of years before I moved here, I planted Castor Oil plants in my backyard and they gave it such a "tropical look". I'm going to try them down here after more soil preparation. The nice thing is that they are so toxic that the aphids and Japanese beetles would take a "bite" and end up in bug heaven. Too bad roses didn't contain the ricin like them. I planted "Profusion" Zinnias last year that bloomed till early November. I also am going to try the "Dreamland" series. Marigolds didn't turn out all well and it will be some time before my soil prep is complete enough to duplicate my juicy "Jersey Tomatoes" success. I'm glad you like Ginkgos, they pre-date Tyrannosauruses . I also grew Cannas from seed and am hoping they will come up again when the weather gets warmer. The Easter freeze did a job on my Crape Myrtles and I'm hoping for a better year for them. If I knew what was going to happen to them last year, I would have stayed up all night with a blanket and hair dryer for them. Live and Learn!
I have not tried Profusion zinnias. I like nicotinia, too, you may try that along w/ your castor oil plants. I grow Better Boy Tomatoes. What is this about Jersey tomatoes????

One winter, in Kansas, a terrible ice storm and I had babied a river birch that I had planted specifically to give me filtered sunlight over my jacuzzi on the deck. About 8 pm, I could hear trees popping all over the neighborhood- they were bent over - limbs breaking off, tops breaking off. I looked out the window at my precious river birch. It was bent all the way across the deck rail and the top was laying down on the jacuzzi lid. I put the cleats on my boots, bundled up, went out w/ a tarpaulin, opened up jacuzzi, spread tarp over tree, and let the warm air melt the ice off.

Saved my river birch! All the rest of the trees, my peach tree, dogwoods, bradford pears, were terribly damaged, some split down the middle. But my birch tree - straightened back up - ice off - by 10 am. Leaving that tree was very hard! Isn't it amazing how we can get so emotionally attached to plants? (well, at least I do).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2008, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Uptown CLT (4th Ward)
2,560 posts, read 7,721,159 times
Reputation: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Shoot, 7 oh 4 . . . you had us feeling sorry for you and sounds like to me - you and the missus have got things figured out pretty darn well . . . ya'll can just have a garden party in that jacuzzi, ice float and all.
I never ever get in the jacuzzi...just jump in the shower...much easier & faster. We do live in a small Loft but that was a choice we made years back...to downsize.

We moved from a 2,500 sq ft home in Fort Mill to about 800-850 sq ft Uptown. Would not trade it for the world.

I have to be at work at 830am. I sleep until 8am...shower, dress and walk to work in 30 minutes. Also get to go home everyday for lunch.

Some poeple think we are crazy...but different strokes for different folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2008, 03:01 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
I never ever get in the jacuzzi...just jump in the shower...much easier & faster. We do live in a small Loft but that was a choice we made years back...to downsize.

We moved from a 2,500 sq ft home in Fort Mill to about 800-850 sq ft Uptown. Would not trade it for the world.

I have to be at work at 830am. I sleep until 8am...shower, dress and walk to work in 30 minutes. Also get to go home everyday for lunch.

Some poeple think we are crazy...but different strokes for different folks.
I think it sounds wonderful! It is what works for you all. DH and I work at home so we have created our own little oasis here - but more office equipment than most people would want, LOL.

We downsized too but will downsize again in coming years. Whatever works for you all is what counts. Sounds delightful to me!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2008, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,677,355 times
Reputation: 3695
Here's a quick list off the top of my head...

First thing I'll be glad to do is not turn on the heat anymore....$300 gas bill from Piedmont greeted me at the mailbox yesterday....and we're very dilligent about not keeping the house too toasty...

Help my son improve in all aspects of spring T-Ball this year. Being a coach at that level brings me so my joy.

Played golf at Ballantyne resort last week. Course is brown obv but in great condition. Can't wait to get back into the swing of things and hope this year to shoot consistently in the 80's...that's my goal.

Going to try a small garden this year w/my son & daughter. Start off w/some transplants and see what happens in the backyard.

Put in red mulch and take out the pine needles in the front of our house.

Hopefully get the fescue in my backyard to look decent. ...need lots of rain, seed, and TLC...

Consistently try to catch many fish (and release obv) at Cane Creek Park...buy a small boat and take it out on weekends w/the family...love that park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 05:55 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Here's a quick list off the top of my head...

First thing I'll be glad to do is not turn on the heat anymore....$300 gas bill from Piedmont greeted me at the mailbox yesterday....and we're very dilligent about not keeping the house too toasty...

Help my son improve in all aspects of spring T-Ball this year. Being a coach at that level brings me so my joy.

Played golf at Ballantyne resort last week. Course is brown obv but in great condition. Can't wait to get back into the swing of things and hope this year to shoot consistently in the 80's...that's my goal.

Going to try a small garden this year w/my son & daughter. Start off w/some transplants and see what happens in the backyard.

Put in red mulch and take out the pine needles in the front of our house.

Hopefully get the fescue in my backyard to look decent. ...need lots of rain, seed, and TLC...

Consistently try to catch many fish (and release obv) at Cane Creek Park...buy a small boat and take it out on weekends w/the family...love that park.
Wow - Jack - sounds like you have a really nice Spring and Summer planned out for yourself - and your family!

Educate me about the "red mulch." ???? I am sick of the pine needles DH continues to use - they crunch down and only look nice for a short while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 06:21 AM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,677,355 times
Reputation: 3695
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Wow - Jack - sounds like you have a really nice Spring and Summer planned out for yourself - and your family!

Educate me about the "red mulch." ???? I am sick of the pine needles DH continues to use - they crunch down and only look nice for a short while.
Its just a colored mulch that I like. See the attached link on what lowe's sells....take off all the pine needles and spread it around about 2 inches thick.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ucts&Ntt=mulch

It usually comes in wood, red, or black colors depending on your preference. Each color has their positives and negatives...just mainly a personal preference.

For those who don't know it really helps w/controlling weeds, saves water by reducing evaporation, & its great as a "bed" or "floor" for swing sets. Also, it just makes your landscaping look "richer".

You could also use pine bark nuggets or straw for coverings....If you are undecided, take a drive in the springtime to different subdivisions to see what looks good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 06:36 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Its just a colored mulch that I like. See the attached link on what lowe's sells....take off all the pine needles and spread it around about 2 inches thick.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ucts&Ntt=mulch

It usually comes in wood, red, or black colors depending on your preference. Each color has their positives and negatives...just mainly a personal preference.

For those who don't know it really helps w/controlling weeds, saves water by reducing evaporation, & its great as a "bed" or "floor" for swing sets. Also, it just makes your landscaping look "richer".

You could also use pine bark nuggets or straw for coverings....If you are undecided, take a drive in the springtime to different subdivisions to see what looks good.
When I lived in NC in years past, I always used pine bark mulch. Then in the midwest, used cedar nugget mulch. Since coming back here, DH was fascinated w/ pine needles. So twice a year he spreads pine needles. We have a red brick home and I have seen "red stuff" at other homes and wondered about it as I thought his might look nice w/ our brick.

So I know what I will be doing . . . make a trip to Lowe's to check out this red stuff, LOL!!!

Thank you, Jack!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 11:25 AM
 
543 posts, read 1,636,444 times
Reputation: 309
1) cut grass
2) spread new mulch
3) new plants
4) open the pool
5) Plant some Mint
6) Watch mint grow
7) Kill mint and make MOJITOS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 11:35 AM
 
3,031 posts, read 8,318,286 times
Reputation: 832
Talk to me about.........oh.........mid May---maybe the beginning of June and I'll let you know what we New Englanders are doing to celebrate spring. LOL

and JEALOUS!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,677,355 times
Reputation: 3695
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Talk to me about.........oh.........mid May---maybe the beginning of June and I'll let you know what we New Englanders are doing to celebrate spring. LOL

and JEALOUS!!!!!
Yeah, gotta love all that mud from the melting snow in april/may.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top