U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-13-2008, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Uptown CLT (4th Ward)
2,560 posts, read 7,717,785 times
Reputation: 423

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think it sounds wonderful! It is what works for you all. DH and I work at home so we have created our own little oasis here - but more office equipment than most people would want, LOL.

We downsized too but will downsize again in coming years. Whatever works for you all is what counts. Sounds delightful to me!!!!
Went last night with my partner to Mountain Island Lake and fell in LOVE with a house and a neighborhood there. Would even consider renting Loft out and buying up there. Any comments or concerns about the Mountain Island Lake area?

Am I crazy? I thought I would never leave Uptown but LOVE the house and neighborhood....what to do...what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2008, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,507,295 times
Reputation: 39856
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Went last night with my partner to Mountain Island Lake and fell in LOVE with a house and a neighborhood there. Would even consider renting Loft out and buying up there. Any comments or concerns about the Mountain Island Lake area?

Am I crazy? I thought I would never leave Uptown but LOVE the house and neighborhood....what to do...what to do?
What neighborhood was this in? I'm dying to know what kind of place could lure YOU away from uptown, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Uptown CLT (4th Ward)
2,560 posts, read 7,717,785 times
Reputation: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
What neighborhood was this in? I'm dying to know what kind of place could lure YOU away from uptown, lol.
It was called Preservation Pointe. Realistically we would have to sell our Loft and put the profit we made down or we could not afford it.

It is not on the water...but 2-3 houses from the water and $400,000 less than the lakefront homes.

One of our very good friends lives at Mountain Island Lake in a neighborhood called The Overlook. Nice neighborhood. He took us by there and we fell in love with the house and neighborhood. It is off 16 (Brookshire) & Nance Cove Rd. It would take about 20-25 minutes to get Uptown during rush hour...not bad by Charlotte standards but would take some getting use to when I can walk to work in about 8 minutes.

We are SO confused right now. What to do...what to do?

Our concerns are...Hopewell High School in Huntersville is NOT good. We now live in Myers park district. Resale!

Homes do not appreciate anywhere in the city like Uptown!

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 02-13-2008 at 02:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 03:29 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times
Reputation: 22373
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
It was called Preservation Pointe. Realistically we would have to sell our Loft and put the profit we made down or we could not afford it.

It is not on the water...but 2-3 houses from the water and $400,000 less than the lakefront homes.

One of our very good friends lives at Mountain Island Lake in a neighborhood called The Overlook. Nice neighborhood. He took us by there and we fell in love with the house and neighborhood. It is off 16 (Brookshire) & Nance Cove Rd. It would take about 20-25 minutes to get Uptown during rush hour...not bad by Charlotte standards but would take some getting use to when I can walk to work in about 8 minutes.

We are SO confused right now. What to do...what to do?

Our concerns are...Hopewell High School in Huntersville is NOT good. We now live in Myers park district. Resale!

Homes do not appreciate anywhere in the city like Uptown!
Do you think the situation w/ Hopewell could turn around any time soon? I guess that would be my thought - to see if there are plans in place . . . or changes on he horizon????

That would be nice lifestyle, I would think it would be really terrific being at the lake -especially since you have friends there already.

How does it FEEL to you to think about living there? Exciting?

Sometimes in life- you just have to go w/ your gut feeling.

The other thing is - it is not like you HAVE to sell and buy that house. I always remind myself - "there is always another house."

Ride over there at rush hour and see how it feels.

I want to hear all about this!!!! I know how much you have enjoyed being uptown. There is a lot to consider . . . keep writing about it! We will keep listening!!!!

Last edited by brokensky; 02-13-2008 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
12,646 posts, read 13,914,101 times
Reputation: 1679
I'm from Michigan, so this is spring...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 06:54 PM
 
1,166 posts, read 3,548,044 times
Reputation: 378
Default My daughter and you

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
I live in a Loft Uptown...there is NO room for a man room, woman room, cat room, party room...or any other type of room...but would have it any other way!
I must introduce you to my daughter. She and her cat, Gus, share a 630 sq ft condo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 07:18 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times
Reputation: 22373
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
I'm from Michigan, so this is spring...lol
Hee Hee Hee. Please don't tell me you are one of the people I see at the beach, swimming in 50 d. water!!!!

So . . . any particular Spring rituals, Walidm??? Clean off the grill? Golf? Trip to the mountains?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 08:00 PM
 
1,166 posts, read 3,548,044 times
Reputation: 378
Hey Em, we need to have a garden party!! I love everything about gardening. I'm a Profusion lover too. I've had wonderful success with them. Even had a couple of volunteers last summer from the summer before. Have you tried Balloon Flowers (platycodon)? They do so well here. There is a new species called Hakone Doubles (Platycodon grandiflorus) that has double flowers. One last thing. Do you know the Plant Delights nursery outside of Raleigh? They have the most amazing collection of rare plants that grow well in Carolina. If you aren't familiar, I'll send you their address so that you can get their wonderfully iconoclastic catalogue. Heck, here's the info anyway for anyone else who's interested.

Plant Delights Nursery, Inc.
9241 Sauls Road
Raleigh, NC 27603

Email: office@plantdelights.com
Phone: (919) 772-4794
Fax: (919) 662-0370

Last edited by BarbJ; 02-13-2008 at 08:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 08:07 PM
 
1,166 posts, read 3,548,044 times
Reputation: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Its just a colored mulch that I like. See the attached link on what lowe's sells....take off all the pine needles and spread it around about 2 inches thick.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ucts&Ntt=mulch

It usually comes in wood, red, or black colors depending on your preference. Each color has their positives and negatives...just mainly a personal preference.

For those who don't know it really helps w/controlling weeds, saves water by reducing evaporation, & its great as a "bed" or "floor" for swing sets. Also, it just makes your landscaping look "richer".

You could also use pine bark nuggets or straw for coverings....If you are undecided, take a drive in the springtime to different subdivisions to see what looks good.
I've also read that red mulch encourages tomatoes to bloom earlier because it heats up the soil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 08:12 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times
Reputation: 22373
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
I've also read that red mulch encourages tomatoes to bloom earlier because it heats up the soil.

Gonna get some red mulch and gonna get some balloon flowers. So glad you posted the addy! I am gonna check this out. DH will enjoy it, too! Thank you Barb!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top