Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:21 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
I've also read that red mulch encourages tomatoes to bloom earlier because it heats up the soil.
I don't know about that, but to be honest that makes alot of sense since tomatoes like hot weather & I'm assuming "warm" soil.

mmmmmmm, tomatoes......can't wait to make big salads on those warm summer days....

darn, now I'm hungry......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 08:25 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,413 times
I love the Mountain Island Lake area. Specifically which area are you talking about? Our best friends live in Mt. Island Lake Point. They have a gorgeous contemporary house, surrounded by huge trees. (My one negative about the area is that they keep losing trees during wind storms) The folks up there seem quite friendly, but it is a little hard to meet the neighbors because the houses are so separated - at least in their area. I do believe though that they have started a neighborhood association to enable folks to meet their neighbors. Houses in our friends 'area run from about $500,000 to over a million. The retired chancellor or UNCC lives out there. What else?? It takes us about 30 mins to get there from east Charlotte during low traffic times. The place has changed tremendously since our friends built in 1991. There was nothing in the way of commercial back then, but as you saw,
it certainly isn't that way now. Our friends shop at NorthLake Mall and eat in restaurants in Huntersville. They play golf at a nearby course whose name I can't remember. I have another friend with young kids who lives out there. She is currently living in the UAE, but before she left she seemed happy with the schools. Her one son was in the N.Neck. IB program and wherever the younger ones were was good. Does this help.If you wan tto talk to my friend DM me. She's a very smart lady and not shy at all.

Last edited by BarbJ; 02-13-2008 at 09:54 PM..

Old 02-13-2008, 08:30 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,413 times
Back to AC When we first moved down here from N.Y. , we didn't turn on our AC until
July. The next summer it was June, etc. Now after 34 years, it goes on in April.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:38 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,419,537 times
For all of the talk of spring, much of the state is enjoying significant snow tonight.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:38 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
Back to AC When we first moved down here from N.Y. , we didn't turn on our AC until
July. The next summer it was June, etc. Now after 34 years, it goes on in April.
I have my AC on tonite. ROFL. This house is so well insulated - the warm air rises and collects in my bedroom! And the furkid gets too hyped if we open the windows . . . she hears a car go by and starts barking. So we are loathe to open a window. However, I will only have the AC on another hour or so . . . crazy, huh?

Old 02-13-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
For all of the talk of spring, much of the state is enjoying significant snow tonight.
But it is not supposed to hang around, is it??? Heck, we could have a blizzard b/f Spring is really here . . . but I sure hope not!

Old 02-13-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I don't know about that, but to be honest that makes alot of sense since tomatoes like hot weather & I'm assuming "warm" soil.

mmmmmmm, tomatoes......can't wait to make big salads on those warm summer days....

darn, now I'm hungry......
Me, too. All I want is a BLT.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:54 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,552,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Do you think the situation w/ Hopewell could turn around any time soon? I guess that would be my thought - to see if there are plans in place . . . or changes on he horizon????

That would be nice lifestyle, I would think it would be really terrific being at the lake -especially since you have friends there already.

How does it FEEL to you to think about living there? Exciting?

Sometimes in life- you just have to go w/ your gut feeling.

The other thing is - it is not like you HAVE to sell and buy that house. I always remind myself - "there is always another house."

Ride over there at rush hour and see how it feels.

I want to hear all about this!!!! I know how much you have enjoyed being uptown. There is a lot to consider . . . keep writing about it! We will keep listening!!!!
Going there again tonight to check it out again. Very confused. We don't want to make a hasty decision that we would hate later. If for some reason we didn't like it...we could never get back Uptown for what we paid back in 2001...that is our situation.

The neighborhood is so new that if this house sold (and I am sure it will) they will build another on a different lot.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Going there again tonight to check it out again. Very confused. We don't want to make a hasty decision that we would hate later. If for some reason we didn't like it...we could never get back Uptown for what we paid back in 2001...that is our situation.

The neighborhood is so new that if this house sold (and I am sure it will) they will build another on a different lot.
How much concern do you feel w/ the school system issue, 7?

These are new homes - or recently built, right? So no info on re-sale stats? Of course, the market is so screwy now - maybe that does not even apply . . .

Lifestyle issues: you would be changing your lifestyle . . . you might be ready for that . . . what would you miss the most if you left uptown? What would be added to your lifestyle that would enhance quality of life . . .i.e., is there a dock nearby and you like to boat? Fish? Outdoors activities? Backyard BBQ's?

The social aspects: more interaction w/ established friends - potential for new friends . . .

Gardening - any interest in that? What about lawn work? Do it yourself - hire a lawn service? Is this a change that makes you smile or makes you frown, LOL?

Weigh these types of things out as you consider the move.

Life is an adventure. You have enjoyed your uptown experience. Maybe you are ready for a new adventure.

Last edited by brokensky; 02-14-2008 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: misspell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte