Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:18 AM

7 posts, read 13,894 times

Advertisements

Our family is relocating to Charlotte this summer from Michigan. I am in need of info particularly schools...I have elementary age, middle school, and high school age children. How are the public schools? What is a charter school? I have read a bit about Ballantyne. What about Davidson? Also, I am a nurse...any thoughts on good hospitals to work for? Any comments appreciated. Sanna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 10:25 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanna View Post
Our family is relocating to Charlotte this summer from Michigan. I am in need of info particularly schools...I have elementary age, middle school, and high school age children. How are the public schools? What is a charter school? I have read a bit about Ballantyne. What about Davidson? Also, I am a nurse...any thoughts on good hospitals to work for? Any comments appreciated. Sanna
1st of all...lets narrow it down.

Traffic in Charlotte is gridlock during rush hours (morning & evening)...so you will want to live reasonably close to your job.

What side of town will you be working on?

Davidson to Ballantyne is 30 miles away. And that 30 miles could take you 1hr to 1hr 30 minutes maybe. Charlotte is very spread out.

Charlotte is a GREAT city and offers something for just about everyone!

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 02-12-2008 at 10:34 AM..

Old 02-12-2008, 12:27 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanna View Post
Sanna, people come here asking your exact questions all the time, so do use the search feature above to find older threads you can go back to and read for good info.

In Charlotte you are only limited by your budget. How much do you want to spend to rent or buy? Until we know that it is harder for us to recommend areas

Old 02-12-2008, 01:07 PM

57 posts, read 208,660 times
Sanna,
I moved to the Ballantyne area specifically for the schools - Hawk Ridge, Community House and Ardrey Kell. The best in the area. Since you are a nurse, you may work during off rush hour times, which will be nice. This board is great for info Good Luck! Welcome to Charlotte soon

Old 02-12-2008, 01:26 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,143 times
Davidson is a very desirable area too!

Old 02-12-2008, 01:39 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
Davidson is a very desirable area too!
Davidson is as nice and just as Upscale as Ballantyne.

Ballantyne "area" is totally different than Ballantyne (Country Club).

95% of the people that say they live in Ballantyne...do not. They live in the Ballantyne area...big difference in price which includes apartments & condo's.

Both VERY nice areas with lots of conveniences but there is a differnece.

Almost like saying you live near Uptown or in Uptown. Big price difference.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:15 PM

18 posts, read 49,704 times
Ardrey Kell is a very good school. It is brand new and that is why it does not show up in the best high school list, but it is believed to be similar to Providence High (another great on in South Charlotte).

If you can find a job in Carolina Medical Ctr in Pineville, you need to drive about 10 min rush or not. The presbyterian hospical at Mathew is about 15 min away and the hospitals in downtown is about 30 min +.

Also the Ballantyne area is a nice place to live in. I live there because of the schools, the convenience, and the beauty.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:05 PM

35 posts, read 91,563 times
Default relo to charlotte

Sanna,
I sent you a pm about your move to Charlotte. Good luck!

Old 02-12-2008, 05:14 PM

45 posts, read 154,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchristiansen1021 View Post
Sanna,
I moved to the Ballantyne area specifically for the schools - Hawk Ridge, Community House and Ardrey Kell. The best in the area. Since you are a nurse, you may work during off rush hour times, which will be nice. This board is great for info Good Luck! Welcome to Charlotte soon

I agree 100% that Hawk Ridge is an excellent school. I'm still impressed with everything about it.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:39 PM

15 posts, read 47,818 times
We actually just relocated here from Michigan. We live North of Charlotte, close to Davidson. Davidson is home to a college and is considered highly desireable. The area is vastly growing and there is everything around her that you could imagine. There is a brand new hosptial in Huntersville, Presbyterian. Although I can't comment much on the school's (my daughter is only in pre-school) what I have seen so far, we will most likely be enrolling our daughter in a private school. There is however a brand new elementary school being built near our house (of which she would be zoned to go to). We are hoping this school will become the epitomy of what the area's elementary schools could be, and luckily it will be open for a year before our daughter is of Kindergarten age, therefore we can see how it is operating, etc. Coming from the North, it's hard to swallow the public school system in the south. I know everyone cannot afford private school and there are many that will say it's not necessary. Everyone has their own opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte