Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 10:24 AM

222 posts, read 196,367 times

Advertisements

BB&T park is only 2 years old, so why would they just bulldoze it?

Charlotte is not getting an MLB team anytime soon. Perhaps one day, but not in the foreseeable future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 11:00 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
I think the only way it happens without taxpayer uproar would be to convert BB&T. I've seen people say it was impossible, but I'd have to think there's a way. But of course that may end up costing nearly as much anyway. If it's 10 years from when BB&T was built it will likely need significant upgrades to keep up with the other MLB parks anyway.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I think the only way it happens without taxpayer uproar would be to convert BB&T. I've seen people say it was impossible, but I'd have to think there's a way. But of course that may end up costing nearly as much anyway. If it's 10 years from when BB&T was built it will likely need significant upgrades to keep up with the other MLB parks anyway.
Right, BB&T park is nowhere near major league capacity. It would have to be expanded four or fives times its current capacity to meet major league standards. And that wouldn't be cheap by any means.

I just don't think Charlotte is the type of market for an MLB team right now, it's not even that great of a sports town to begin with. The whole Panthers fandom is entirely different compared to when they're doing great and when they're not doing great. And no one really cares about the Hornets all that much, I was just at a Hornets game a few weeks ago, my entire row was almost empty-and they were a playoff bound team this year! There was a bit of hype and excitement last year when they rebranded the name from the Bobcats back to the Hornets but that seems to have died down already. I just don't think Charlotte is so big on pro sports, that's what I've gathered in the almost three years I've been here, though my perspective is different because I'm originally from Philadelphia- a MUCH bigger sports town.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:46 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdez View Post
Right, BB&T park is nowhere near major league capacity. It would have to be expanded four or fives times its current capacity to meet major league standards. And that wouldn't be cheap by any means.

I just don't think Charlotte is the type of market for an MLB team right now, it's not even that great of a sports town to begin with. The whole Panthers fandom is entirely different compared to when they're doing great and when they're not doing great. And no one really cares about the Hornets all that much, I was just at a Hornets game a few weeks ago, my entire row was almost empty-and they were a playoff bound team this year! There was a bit of hype and excitement last year when they rebranded the name from the Bobcats back to the Hornets but that seems to have died down already. I just don't think Charlotte is so big on pro sports, that's what I've gathered in the almost three years I've been here, though my perspective is different because I'm originally from Philadelphia- a MUCH bigger sports town.
Yo! South Jersey here. You also made that post to someone from South Jersey. Ever consider that the problem with the Hornets attendance could have something to do with basketball? It's not like the 6ers have been lighting any attendance fires for years.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:51 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Quote:
Technically, it probably only needs about 3.5x its current capacity. Still some pretty significant changes needed of course

Old 04-23-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Yo! South Jersey here. You also made that post to someone from South Jersey. Ever consider that the problem with the Hornets attendance could have something to do with basketball? It's not like the 6ers have been lighting any attendance fires for years.
True, the Sixers attendance has dropped as they've been doing poor. But the Eagles and Flyers still sell out every year and they both haven't won a title in ages. But I have been in the Wells Fargo Center when the Sixers are doing well, or playoff bound and the atmosphere is very pumped up, loud, and electrifying. Not what I saw in Time Warner Cable arena a few weeks ago with the playoff bound Hornets. See what I mean?

Though I'm sure the weak pro sports atmosphere in Charlotte is due to these three reasons:

1. The teams are fairly new and haven't been around as long as the sports teams up north
2. A lot of northern transplants in the Charlotte area who stay loyal to their home teams
3. College sports seem to be bigger here in the south. People are very much into UNC, Duke, USC, Clemson etc. than they are into pro teams.

Last edited by Mdez; 04-23-2016 at 01:16 PM..

Old 04-23-2016, 01:23 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
True, the Sixers attendance has dropped as they've been doing poor. But the Eagles and Flyers still sell out every year and they both haven't won a title in ages. But I have been in the Wells Fargo Center when the Sixers are doing well, or playoff bound and the atmosphere is very pumped up, loud, and electrifying. Not what I saw in Time Warner Cable arena a few weeks ago with the playoff bound Hornets. See what I mean?

Though I'm sure the weak pro sports atmosphere in Charlotte is due to these three reasons:

1. The teams are fairly new and haven't been around as long as the sports teams up north
2. A lot of northern transplants in the Charlotte area who stay loyal to their home teams
3. College sports seem to be bigger here in the south. People are very much into UNC, Duke, USC, Clemson etc. than they are into pro teams.
Also consider the smaller population here. The population of the city of Philadelphia Is approximately the same as the populations of Mecklenburg, Union, Gaston, & Cleveland counties added together.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:21 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,646,926 times
Quote:

I went to the Spurs game a few weeks ago and the place was rocking. Who were they playing against when you went to see them?

Old 04-25-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I went to the Spurs game a few weeks ago and the place was rocking. Who were they playing against when you went to see them?
My hometown team, the Sixers. There were a lot of empty seats around me and I didn't think the noise level was so loud, compared to games in other cities that I've been to. But then again, the Spurs are one of the best teams in the league , and for the Hornets to beat them last month was probably a huge deal, hence why the place was rocking. I didn't think the opponent usually mattered most of the time as long as the team is doing well the place should always be rocking?

Old 04-25-2016, 05:09 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Leave Mecklenburg County & baseball is very popular. Shelby has had the American Legion World Series for several years. There are baseball teams in Gastonia, Hickory, & Kannapolis.
I am aware of those teams but a lot of smaller southern cities and towns like Gastonia and Hickory have had or currently have some sort of Baseball team. Even today Burlington has a minor league team and Kinston had one not terribly long ago.

Not trying to be a dick but again, we're talking about Charlotte here. And this city has never screamed "Baseball town" to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte