Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 02:29 PM

398 posts, read 497,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You're absolutely correct. However, they will in late June, July, & early August. They will also make the drive for daytime weekend games in April, May & September.
Maybe, but those aren't the games the team is going to worry about filling up for. The Braves (as an example) have 12 daytime weekend home games, so thats not barely a blip on the radar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 03:15 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
You said "I don't see too many other markets that are as strong as Charlotte for MLB."

The reality is, there are several markets much stronger than Charlotte. And they will get a team way before Charlotte does. And no team cares about 100 mile radius population, whether you believe it or not.
Montreal might be the only one that's much stronger.

- Las Vegas has the gambling issue and so far no major pro league has committed to giving them a team regardless of population.
- San Antonio has to compete with Dallas and Houston both within 3-4 hours and is smaller than Charlotte. I doubt they'll get a team in the next 20 years due to those cities being so close.
- Portland is about on par. They're in a similar situation to Charlotte with no pro team within a close distance. I could see them being the other team that's added whenever Charlotte gets one.

I could certainly see Charlotte/Portland being in the next two or four teams since it's going to be at least a decade before the MLB expands again and NC (Charlotte) continues to grow faster than most other cities on the potential list. The area unserved by the MLB between DC and Atlanta far eclipses the population of all the other potential cities that come up. At the rate NC is growing, the region will just be far too large to ignore circa 2025-2030 compared to places like San Antonio and Vegas.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:45 PM

415 posts, read 1,149,875 times
Certainly population within 100 miles would have little impact on weeknight game attendance. But, attendance is only part of the revenue puzzle - TV revenue is very important and 100 mile radius definitely is a factor in that. In that sense Charlotte ranks pretty favorably with many of the current MLB cities, not much different than Atlanta. Another example, Charlotte has about 2.5 times the population within 100 miles as Kansas City (just over 3 million).

Old 04-20-2016, 04:52 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,236,737 times
No I don't, at least for the next 10-15 years.

Charlotte was one of the rumored cities that the Florida Marlins were "looking at" in 2006 I believe because at the time the front office wanted a new stadium but couldn't get anything off the ground. Long story short they got their ballpark so nothing seriously materialized from this. Had they moved here they would have stayed in the NL East so no need for the league to realign divisions.

The other Florida team, Tampa Rays, have been on the relocation rumor radar for something like 10 years now and yet the team stays put. Again, Charlotte would make sense if the MLB was looking at not realigning divisions as Tampa plays in the AL East.

People need to keep in mind that the MLB Season is just about everyday from April to late September, there's 80-some home games. Sure the first year or two the novelty of a new team would help but if the team is stuck at the bottom like an anchor year after year, it's going to be hard to win those fringe fans over. Also this is just my opinion but Charlotte has never really struck me as a baseball town. The only die-hard baseball fans I tend to meet are either transplants from places like Chicago, Boston, New York, and St. Louis where the sport has a good following, or have already hitched their wagon to the Braves and will likely remain Braves fans for life.

Personally I think Charlotte is fine being a two sport town in the Major Leagues. NBA works because Basketball is a big thing here and the Hornets were very popular in their first 8 seasons or so. NFL is just 8 home games a year, usually on Sunday w/ the occasional Monday Night game so people from Raleigh, Greensboro, Columbia, etc. can spend a weekend here, go to the game and then go home. Plus despite the Panthers off-again/on-again seasons historically, we are now beginning to see people who grew up with the team who are now raising their kids to be Panther fans. Baseball is a much different animal, I know you have to start somewhere but this city is just not ready for MLB, at least not yet.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:24 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
No I don't, at least for the next 10-15 years.

Charlotte was one of the rumored cities that the Florida Marlins were "looking at" in 2006 I believe because at the time the front office wanted a new stadium but couldn't get anything off the ground. Long story short they got their ballpark so nothing seriously materialized from this. Had they moved here they would have stayed in the NL East so no need for the league to realign divisions.

The other Florida team, Tampa Rays, have been on the relocation rumor radar for something like 10 years now and yet the team stays put. Again, Charlotte would make sense if the MLB was looking at not realigning divisions as Tampa plays in the AL East.

People need to keep in mind that the MLB Season is just about everyday from April to late September, there's 80-some home games. Sure the first year or two the novelty of a new team would help but if the team is stuck at the bottom like an anchor year after year, it's going to be hard to win those fringe fans over. Also this is just my opinion but Charlotte has never really struck me as a baseball town. The only die-hard baseball fans I tend to meet are either transplants from places like Chicago, Boston, New York, and St. Louis where the sport has a good following, or have already hitched their wagon to the Braves and will likely remain Braves fans for life.

Personally I think Charlotte is fine being a two sport town in the Major Leagues. NBA works because Basketball is a big thing here and the Hornets were very popular in their first 8 seasons or so. NFL is just 8 home games a year, usually on Sunday w/ the occasional Monday Night game so people from Raleigh, Greensboro, Columbia, etc. can spend a weekend here, go to the game and then go home. Plus despite the Panthers off-again/on-again seasons historically, we are now beginning to see people who grew up with the team who are now raising their kids to be Panther fans. Baseball is a much different animal, I know you have to start somewhere but this city is just not ready for MLB, at least not yet.
Leave Mecklenburg County & baseball is very popular. Shelby has had the American Legion World Series for several years. There are baseball teams in Gastonia, Hickory, & Kannapolis.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:39 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
Maybe, but those aren't the games the team is going to worry about filling up for. The Braves (as an example) have 12 daytime weekend home games, so thats not barely a blip on the radar.
There are corporate boxes & being sent to a baseball game is a bennie in those companies. Marketing skews to home games in April & May. Radio & TV bring in big bucks. The businessman's specials are usually in April, May, & September. There are a couple while schools are out, but they bring people in.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:08 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
Quote:
You said "I don't see too many other markets that are as strong as Charlotte for MLB."

The reality is, there are several markets much stronger than Charlotte. And they will get a team way before Charlotte does. And no team cares about 100 mile radius population, whether you believe it or not.
you cling to words and your script more than the broader subject or what people actually say.

A lot goes into what markets contend and get a team. Among the demographics, geography and population.

I'm relying on facts and you simply stating an opinion. Next.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
you cling to words and your script more than the broader subject or what people actually say.

A lot goes into what markets contend and get a team. Among the demographics, geography and population.

I'm relying on facts and you simply stating an opinion. Next.
So you think Charlotte will get a team with the next MLB expansion, which most people think will be in the next 5 years?

How does Charlotte stack up against the other contenders in regard to demographics, geography and population? (By the way, "population" is part of demographics) How is Charlotte stronger than the other competitor cities?

What facts have you provided beyond the completely irrelevant 100 mile population? Who would own the team? What would happen with the Knights? Where would the corporate support come from?

Lets hear all your facts.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
There are corporate boxes & being sent to a baseball game is a bennie in those companies. Marketing skews to home games in April & May. Radio & TV bring in big bucks. The businessman's specials are usually in April, May, & September. There are a couple while schools are out, but they bring people in.
And Charlotte lacks the corporate base to sell those boxes...its tapped out with the Panthers and Hornets. Most experts agree adding 2 more teams is all the tv money can support in the next few years. Charlotte isn't in a position to be one of those 2.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Montreal might be the only one that's much stronger.

- Las Vegas has the gambling issue and so far no major pro league has committed to giving them a team regardless of population.
- San Antonio has to compete with Dallas and Houston both within 3-4 hours and is smaller than Charlotte. I doubt they'll get a team in the next 20 years due to those cities being so close.
- Portland is about on par. They're in a similar situation to Charlotte with no pro team within a close distance. I could see them being the other team that's added whenever Charlotte gets one.

I could certainly see Charlotte/Portland being in the next two or four teams since it's going to be at least a decade before the MLB expands again and NC (Charlotte) continues to grow faster than most other cities on the potential list. The area unserved by the MLB between DC and Atlanta far eclipses the population of all the other potential cities that come up. At the rate NC is growing, the region will just be far too large to ignore circa 2025-2030 compared to places like San Antonio and Vegas.
If the next expansion occurs in 2025 or 2030 you may be right, but most observers think MLB will add 2 teams in the next 5 years or so. And Charlotte won't be ready in that time frame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte