Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 07:11 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,642,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
Put another way, all students in Fort Mill and Tega Cay will attend a Silver Medal high school.
Fort Mill encompasses 4.6 square miles, and Tega Cay encompasses 3.16 square miles.

Charlotte encompasses 297 square miles.

Comparing Ft Mill/Tega Cay to the entire city of Charlotte is a fair and reasonable comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 08:10 PM

547 posts, read 773,603 times
Your measurements are way off and where in my post did I compare to Charlotte?

Old 05-23-2018, 09:07 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
You compared to Charlotte by default, ignoring the fact that SC schools get compared to SC schools on the education websites. NC schools get ranked to NC schools on the same websites, with the exception of national rankings.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:19 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I don't find this to be true. The parent involvement in some of these higher ranking schools is very high. My children go to one of these top schools and there are so many parents involved. And I work in a school not on the list, and the parent involvement is definitely lower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post
that's BS
Again , I don't know if that applies here; this is what I observed in NY.

My reasoning is thus:

The vast majority of Parents want their kids to get a good education. Yes, there are wealthy Parents who seek to use their influence within a school, yet there are a significant number of Parents that take a laissez-faire approach, because of the confidence they have in their child's school.

In many working class areas, the evidence of parental involvement becomes clear as you will see parents/guardians with their kids in the morning at bus stops, at bake sales, etc.

What I am saying is that while Parental involvement cuts across the entire socioeconomic spectrum, the expressions of Parental involvement are manifested differently. Whereas a wealthy Parent might influence his/her child's education through the clout that they posses within the community (e.g. by placing a phone call, or by donating money to school projects), a working class Parent might involve him/herself with their physical presence.

All that said, I still stand by my statement that there are Parents who take a hands off approach because of the confidence they have of their child's school system. And again, I say all of this with the caveat that this is what I observed in NY, not in NC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
The poor reputation is directed at the bloated central office with many, in fact most, that do nothing to support teachers and improve classroom instruction.
I appreciate your explanation. Looking from the outside in, it does appear that CMS has a top heavy approach. Was it always this way?

Quote:
That's what Google came up with. As to any comparison I thought you may have inferred, my apologies; you mentioned SC schools on a CMS thread, thus did I see a comparison that you didn't intend to make.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:33 AM

547 posts, read 773,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
That's what Google came up with. As to any comparison I thought you may have inferred, my apologies; you mentioned SC schools on a CMS thread, thus did I see a comparison that you didn't intend to make.
Look at the map Google considered. Basically Fort Mill school district is from the state line to the Catawba River and over close to 521. A bit more than 4 sq miles.

CLT4 mentioned SC schools. My post was in response to that.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
CMS had 9 schools rank with a medal, making up 43% of ranked schools in the Charlotte area. CMS is 47% of public school district (non-charter) enrollment in the Charlotte metro.

UCPS had 4 schools rank with a medal, making up 19% of ranked schools in the Charlotte area. UCPS is 13% of public school district enrollment in the Charlotte metro.

Charters had 4 schools rank with a medal, making up 19% of ranked schools in the Charlotte area.

York 04 had 2 schools rank with a medal, making up 10% of ranked schools in the Charlotte area. York 04 is 4% of public school district enrollment in the Charlotte metro.

Gaston County had 1 school rank with a medal, making up 5% of ranked schools in the Charlotte area. GCPS is 10% of public school district enrollment in the Charlotte metro.

Rock Hill had 1 school rank with a medal, making up 5% of ranked schools in the Charlotte area. Rock Hill is 6% of public school district enrollment in the Charlotte metro.

Making up 20% of area public school enrollment, Clover, Mooresville, Cabarrus, and Kannapolis school districts had no ranked schools by US News.
Gaston had 2 schools listed as silver.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:37 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Gaston had 2 schools listed as silver.
I included Gaston County Prep in the Charter school group, as they operate independently of the schools districts. I should have clarified as GCPS had 1.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I included Gaston County Prep in the Charter school group, as they operate independently of the schools districts. I should have clarified as GCPS had 1.
OK. I didn't notice it at first.

Just a suggestion, for clarity, when you do it next year, you might want to separate the SC schools, to avoid confusion. For example, 3 of the schools are very close in state ranking. The NC school is, by far, higher in the national rankings than the SC schools.

I like that you post this. As far as I know, it's the only well-regarded national ranking of schools.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:09 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
OK. I didn't notice it at first.

Just a suggestion, for clarity, when you do it next year, you might want to separate the SC schools, to avoid confusion. For example, 3 of the schools are very close in state ranking. The NC school is, by far, higher in the national rankings than the SC schools.

I like that you post this. As far as I know, it's the only well-regarded national ranking of schools.
Yeah I can do that in the future. The ranking is heavy on college preparedness and AP participation rates/ pass rates. Since the AP exams are the same nationwide and a good bench mark of college prep, it gives a better read on test scores versus state testing which can vary from state to state (some states are more challenging, etc...).

Old 05-24-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Yeah I can do that in the future. The ranking is heavy on college preparedness and AP participation rates/ pass rates. Since the AP exams are the same nationwide and a good bench mark of college prep, it gives a better read on test scores versus state testing which can vary from state to state (some states are more challenging, etc...).
The differences between the states isn't as noticeable on sites like Great Schools, but it stands out on this group, if you read the national rankings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte