U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 10:11 PM

5 posts, read 2,180 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I got my first traffic ticket this evening in Union County while coming home from work around 9:45pm. The speed limit on the road is 45, I was doing 50, and I ended up catching up to a car in front of me. I was close, but not close enough to have to slam on brakes to avoid hitting them if needed. (Regardless, reading GS 20-152, the standard is very vague.) They ended up braking and then pulling over to allow me to go around them, so I do, and it turns out it was an unmarked cop. I was surprised and kind of in shock, so the subsequent conversation went like this:

Him: Is there a good reason why you were so close?
Me: No sir.
Him: You know that's dangerous right?
Me: Yes sir.
Him: Do you want to live dangerously?
Him: Have you ever had a ticket before?
Him: Do you want one?
Me: (kind of confused, thinking it's a trick question) If that's what you feel I should have.. It's up to you.
Him: (pause for a few seconds) Okay, I'll write you one.

I thought I was being respectful, but I guess not. He was talking to me while I was getting my license and registration (had a hard time finding them, huge purse).

Anyway, the ticket is only $35 but I'm seeing that it's a whopping 4 points on my license! For a first offense! Do I have any chance of making this less painful by going to the court date, or should I just pay the fine? I'm already pretty devastated that my clean record has been ruined, but that point amount is equivalent to a hit and run! I don't even know what steps to take from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 11:06 PM

Oh my gosh, I'm so glad you were in the car with me to know what I was doing!! I was not on my phone. It was sitting in my purse. I was "tailgating" because I had gotten off work and wanted to get home. He was likely doing exactly 45, I caught up to him while going 50. I was paying attention. So unless you're going to offer any advice on whether to go to court or not and what to expect if I do, please take your judgment elsewhere. I already feel like crap about it, and don't need you or anyone else piling it on.

Last edited by DaisyLaur; 04-19-2016 at 11:17 PM..

Old 04-20-2016, 04:33 AM

398 posts, read 366,780 times
You'll receives at least 10 solicitation letters in the mail from attorneys. Pick a couple and call them to discuss your case and see what they say. My guess is it will be well worth hiring one to go to court with you and get the charge lowered or dismissed.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:40 AM

2,147 posts, read 3,658,411 times
I got stopped for rolling thru stop sign 8-10 yrs ago. I was told to go to court and they would drop charge to minor offense (no pts.)and I would pay fine. That's exactly what happened.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:03 AM

@Lucky Dawg and @ZnGuy Thank you, both of you. I was wondering if it would be worth it to go to court to try to see what could be done about it, because most people I know have just paid their tickets and accepted it. Y'all have given me at least a little hope. After doing a bit of Googling, I think I'll be doing what y'all said and at least taking a look at getting a lawyer. Thank you again!

Old 04-20-2016, 05:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,465,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyLaur View Post
@Lucky Dawg and @ZnGuy Thank you, both of you. I was wondering if it would be worth it to go to court to try to see what could be done about it because most people I know have just paid their tickets and accepted it. Y'all have given me at least a little hope. After doing a bit of Googling, I think I'll be doing what y'all said and at least taking a look at getting a lawyer. Thank you again!
I was unclear of how much over but regardless best thing and it would save you time sitting in court is on the day you are supposed to appear in court go to the DA office as soon as his office opens I think its hour before court starts and tell him your situation and apologize. He then will reduce it likely or change to something else minor that will not affect your insurance. You don't need a lawyer unless you was going something like 20 over.

Also, you stated ticket $35 but left out court costs. ( It should be at the bottom of the ticket)
The DA if anything will have you pay court cost it may vary in Union but I believe it's $218 so have $250 to $300 in cash.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:56 AM

372 posts, read 562,062 times
Not sure how Union county works, but in Meck, I've had to go in a couple of times over the years due to registration and expired license during a checkpoint. Both times, I showed up to the courthouse (without an attorney) and both were dropped due to my correcting the situation. I know your issue is speeding, but I would think that if this was your 1st ticket and only moving 5 mph over the limit, the court may just reduce the fine and drop the points. Not sure paying an atty expensive fee is worth it.

I do agree with previous poster regarding court costs. Make sure to have cash with you that day.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:04 AM

3,410 posts, read 3,194,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I was unclear of how much over but regardless best thing and it would save you time sitting in court is on the day you are supposed to appear in court go to the DA office as soon as his office opens I think its hour before court starts and tell him your situation and apologize. He then will reduce it likely or change to something else minor that will not affect your insurance. You don't need a lawyer unless you was going something like 20 over.

Also, you stated ticket $35 but left out court costs. ( It should be at the bottom of the ticket)
The DA if anything will have you pay court cost it may vary in Union but I believe it's $218 so have $250 to $300 in cash.
I don't think the OP was given a ticket for speeding. I think the cop gave her a ticket for following to close which is NC GS 20-152. I'm guessing it's 4 points because it's a safety violation. Sunny's right it's $35 plus court costs.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,465,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I don't think the OP was given a ticket for speeding. I think the cop gave her a ticket for following to close which is NC GS 20-152. I'm guessing it's 4 points because it's a safety violation. Sunny's right it's $35 plus court costs.
Ok, thanks, her giving speed through me for a loop. Crazy ticket considering a number of tailgaters out there. I'm still not ruling out just talking to the DA .
I'm sorry for your first ticket and for the future never admit what you was doing and should have answered no sir.
Good luck.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:23 AM

305 posts, read 384,413 times
"Me: (kind of confused, thinking it's a trick question) If that's what you feel I should have.. It's up to you."

That might be one of the worst responses ever to "do you want a ticket?"

He might have actually let you off.

You probably came off as condescending and bit arrogant as you already showed on your reply on here as your reasoning for tailgating was "because you got off of work and wanted to get home."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte