Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 08:28 AM

55 posts, read 216,051 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
My family and I are looking to move to Charlotte and wondering if it has an overall "friendly" feel to it. I'm originally from Oklahoma (friendly, friendly state!) but have lived in KC, Portland, OR, Houston, TX, NYC, Tucson, Orange Co. and now Pittsburgh! I know...I know... too many places. After reading on this forum, it seems there are a lot of transplants in Charlotte. Just curious about others experiences living there? We are not NE people (please don't take offense to it-not our style) and looking to make a change.
Thanks in advance for your time! We truly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 08:32 AM

398 posts, read 498,375 times
"Would you say Charlotte is "friendly" like the south is known to be?"

Yes

Old 04-22-2016, 08:57 AM

97 posts, read 129,982 times
it;s like any place...some people are good-some will not be - people are the same no matter where you live - even in the NE

Old 04-22-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCcostello View Post
it;s like any place...some people are good-some will not be - people are the same no matter where you live - even in the NE
From my personal experiences, people in the South are generally more friendly.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:24 AM

398 posts, read 619,048 times
compared to NY...yes. Compared to Chicago...NO

Old 04-22-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
compared to NY...yes. Compared to Chicago...NO
Thank you...I understand your comparison.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:12 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Charlotte is a lot like every other big city in the USA. If you put yourself out as a friendly person, open to new experiences, you'll be treated very well in Charlotte!

Old 04-22-2016, 01:37 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,650,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLambert View Post
Hi there,
My family and I are looking to move to Charlotte and wondering if it has an overall "friendly" feel to it. I'm originally from Oklahoma (friendly, friendly state!) but have lived in KC, Portland, OR, Houston, TX, NYC, Tucson, Orange Co. and now Pittsburgh! I know...I know... too many places. After reading on this forum, it seems there are a lot of transplants in Charlotte. Just curious about others experiences living there? We are not NE people (please don't take offense to it-not our style) and looking to make a change.
Thanks in advance for your time! We truly appreciate it!
Short answer: no

Within the City limits there are more non-Southerners, than there are Southerners.

That said, I wouldn't mark transplants as unfriendly; most realize that it's unacceptable to behave the way they did "back home." (I say this of many, but not all, Long Islander's - and there are thousands of transplanted NY'ers here)

And then within the South, I have found subcategories of people, whose attitudes vary drastically:

Certain parts of NC, the people are friendly, polite, and non-hostile, unless you give them a reason to be. In other words, you've got to deliberately provoke these people, in order for there to be a hostile response.

The further you get away from Charlotte, the more this is so. I've met some really nice folks in Gaston, Cleveland, Catawba, counties.

And then there are those I have encountered in some parts of SC; very suspicious of outsiders; "you aren't from around here" kind of thing.

Encountered that kind of attitude in certain parts of York County.

If you have specific questions, you can DM me

Old 04-22-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Short answer: no

Within the City limits there are more non-Southerners, than there are Southerners.

That said, I wouldn't mark transplants as unfriendly; most realize that it's unacceptable to behave the way they did "back home." (I say this of many, but not all, Long Islander's - and there are thousands of transplanted NY'ers here)

And then within the South, I have found subcategories of people, whose attitudes vary drastically:

Certain parts of NC, the people are friendly, polite, and non-hostile, unless you give them a reason to be. In other words, you've got to deliberately provoke these people, in order for there to be a hostile response.

The further you get away from Charlotte, the more this is so. I've met some really nice folks in Gaston, Cleveland, Catawba, counties.

And then there are those I have encountered in some parts of SC; very suspicious of outsiders; "you aren't from around here" kind of thing.

Encountered that kind of attitude in certain parts of York County.

If you have specific questions, you can DM me
Thank you, thank you for your detailed response.

We've seen a lot of the US and have experienced the gamut of friendly and unfriendly. We are in Pittsburgh now with the energy business and find some people here tend to be "suspicious" of outsiders as you mentioned. Especially, outsiders who are friendly! I chalk it up to NE environment and cold winters where people don't get out often and socialize. We have met several OK and TX people (who've moved here for energy as well) who feel the same.

I'm wondering if Charlotte would be friendlier than Pittsburgh? How far south do I need to go?

Old 04-22-2016, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,165 times
The drivers in Charlotte, no, they're rude, especially depending on the demographic, but even the "good ol' boys" will throw up the bird from time to time here. In other aspects, yes, people will smile at you in public, even at fast food restaurants will the service be nice (of course you'll find outliers, but generally so) At the end of the day it's all about who you surround yourself with, even though Northern cities get a rap for being rude, it's often less them being rude and more them just being blunt and honest. (I'm friends with a number of Yankees, nice folks, but they can be a bit more forward) Southerners will typically try to be people pleasers, only among their friends will they let out a bit more information that is considered a faux paux in the Southern public sphere. But note that Southerners will become your friend very quickly, I remember one day (not in Charlotte specifically) I struck up a conversation with the owner of a fireworks stand, a little over two hours later I finally left after practically hearing this man's life story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte