Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 02:22 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,717,167 times

Advertisements

I am sitting here at work looking out over NY Harbor, and it just hit me like a ton of bricks. Do I really want to move?

I am supposed to be leaving in 7 more weeks, but I guess the fear of the unknown is creeping up on me, as I am leaving a good job, a nice apartment with a gorgeous city view, and a great soon-to-be ex-girlfriend (she refuses to move because she is television and NYC is where it's at for her).

Being I am only 29 years old, I am starting to feel that I made the mistake of my life by deciding to move to a city where activities are geared towards families.

Is this normal to have second thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2006, 03:23 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
I am sitting here at work looking out over NY Harbor, and it just hit me like a ton of bricks. Do I really want to move?

I am supposed to be leaving in 7 more weeks, but I guess the fear of the unknown is creeping up on me, as I am leaving a good job, a nice apartment with a gorgeous city view, and a great soon-to-be ex-girlfriend (she refuses to move because she is television and NYC is where it's at for her).

Being I am only 29 years old, I am starting to feel that I made the mistake of my life by deciding to move to a city where activities are geared towards families.

It's normal I have those thoughts every day. Not when I was leaving NY though.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:42 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:

Hoboken, what was your original motivation for making this move?

Old 11-01-2006, 03:45 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Quote:

yes it is normal, but you sound like you are leaving alot behind that you love, maybe it is trying to tell you something.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:49 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,216 times
Trust your instincts. Listen to that inner voice that's telling you not to go. Those are more than second thoughts, IMO. I wish we'd trusted/ listened to ours. We made a huge mistake by moving to N.C. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Regards,

Cassie

Quote:

Last edited by Cassie; 11-01-2006 at 04:12 PM..

Old 11-01-2006, 04:22 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,717,167 times
I decided to leave because all my family left the NYC area years ago, and I am the last one left, so I guess you can say my motivation is being closer to my family which has settled in Charlotte, and Greenville, SC.

I think the cost of living also played a huge factor in my decision.

This is on my nerves...ugh.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:31 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,249 times
I have to tell you, I really love Charlotte. But, I'm also 40 with 3 young children. I lived in Hoboken when I was just around your age. Forget comparing it to NYC-even Hoboken has much more to offer young singles. I'm sure you already know that, since you have family here.
Like Cassie said, trust your instincts!
You have a beautiful view of the city from a great town, and a "great" girlfriend-what's the rush?

Old 11-01-2006, 04:35 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
I decided to leave because all my family left the NYC area years ago, and I am the last one left, so I guess you can say my motivation is being closer to my family which has settled in Charlotte, and Greenville, SC.

I think the cost of living also played a huge factor in my decision.

This is on my nerves...ugh.

Okay, try not to panic. You need to maybe take a sheet of paper with a line drawn down the middle so that you can list the pros of moving on one side and the cons on the other. List them in order of importance. Search your heart to do that. What is your #1 reason to go and what would be your #1 reason to stay? Once you have it all down on paper you might be better able to clarify what you want.

Just my humble opinion here, but, if this girlfriend you are leaving behind wouldn't come with you maybe she's not "the one" after all. Because I can promise you this, I don't care where my husband went (even Russia or Bagdad) there would be nothing more important to me than being whereever he is. No career, job, amount of money, whatever would be more important to me than him.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:39 PM

20 posts, read 59,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Trust your instincts. Listen to that inner voice that's telling you not to go. Those are more than second thoughts, IMO. I wish we'd trusted/ listened to ours. We made a huge mistake by moving to N.C. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Regards,

Cassie
Cassie,
Why do you regret moving to NC?

Old 11-01-2006, 04:40 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Okay, try not to panic. You need to maybe take a sheet of paper with a line drawn down the middle so that you can list the pros of moving on one side and the cons on the other. List them in order of importance. Search your heart to do that. What is your #1 reason to go and what would be your #1 reason to stay? Once you have it all down on paper you might be better able to clarify what you want.

Just my humble opinion here, but, if this girlfriend you are leaving behind wouldn't come with you maybe she's not "the one" after all. Because I can promise you this, I don't care where my husband went (even Russia or Bagdad) there would be nothing more important to me than being whereever he is. No career, job, amount of money, whatever would be more important to me than him.
same goes for him as well, shouldnt be all on her , he could stay for her. I lived in NC for two years, and I wish I had listened to my inner voice and not moved there. we left and we are much happier, you really need to think long and hard on this one, there is more to life than a lower cost of living. ( even though it is still high there)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte