U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-13-2008, 06:44 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
Reputation: 22375

Advertisements

With so many people considering moving to this area, I thought it may be helpful to hear from those who have transplanted to this region . . . and find out what they encountered that has been:


a challenge

happy surprise

a disappointment

unexpected (good, bad, indifferent)

something you wished you had planned for


And . . . if you had a piece of advice for anyone thinking of coming (or being transferred here) . . . what would that be?

Any and all comments, advice, suggestions and stories about your move here - your adjustment to this region - how your kids have fared - please share with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2008, 06:49 PM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,974 posts, read 58,627,554 times
Reputation: 14926
Great thread I love member MarkH update threads on explaining adjusting to the culture.
I would love to here from our great members What happen to decide to relocate, what it use to be like and what it is like now.
__________________
[B][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Im the moderator for
[/COLOR][/B][URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-carolina/"]North Carolina main forum[/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/greensboro-winston-salem-high-point/"]Triad [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Trinity Florida
7,930 posts, read 17,800,938 times
Reputation: 1997
WE love it here, honestly there was no transition for us it just felt like home, where NJ never did. we love the weather so far, really like Most of the people, My children are extremely happy..it has been a challange to meet new friends, although we have made some really great ones and hope to make more as we are here 8 months now. We are more involved in the JCC and Ive met some great ladies through my dd.

Also very happy with schools. I will say I have never seen so many Fatal Car Accidents in my life but other than that, Lovin It...

Last edited by Swimmom32; 02-13-2008 at 07:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,680,136 times
Reputation: 3695
Been here for 1 year in beautiful Union County. From NJ originally. My wife and young kids have adjusted fabulously (is that a word? lol). It helps immensly that we have family in the area. Me and my wife have strong family values and I'm not sure if we would've survived w/o them...it would've been very tough.

We've made some friends (me through work and my wife meeting the neighbors..)

The challenge was finding out how expensive day to day living is here. I'm used to sky high prop taxes, however the day to day stuff is way more expensive than NJ (ie gas, food, 6.25% tax on food, vehicle registration tax, etc)..you get nickel and dimed big time.... Its been an adjustment that way. Also, work is tough because I'm in sales and I deal w/locals all the time. They are not as accepting as some make it out to be. Its been tough, but they sure warm up to you when you can expense that round of golf every friday!

The surprise is how many sunny days there are down here. I love the weather (even though we're in the drought and the summer was extremely hot). I'll take what we have here and run w/it anyday over the long, gloomy, cloudy NJ winters. Also, people are friendlier (overall) here which is hard getting used to when you come from an area where there not.

There are some negatives. Union County is still run by a bunch of good ole' boys. They are ruining the county. (Even my neighbor who's a lifelong UC resident agrees!). Things are changing for the better though, and more people are getting involved here in politics which is a good thing!


The only thing I can say about planning to come here is 1. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE RELIABLE EMPLOYMENT LINED UP FIRST. Do not come down here w/o a job or you'll be working the night shift at Target to supplement your wife and 2 kids. Also, make sure you sell your home first before you buy or rent. Those are obv, and I would also say don't write off a county or particular city from what you hear on this website. There is good and bad written about every area. Check it out for yourselves...talk to the residents, try to get an honest opinion...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 07:08 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Great thread I love member MarkH update threads on explaining adjusting to the culture.
I would love to here from our great members What happen to decide to relocate, what it use to be like and what it is like now.
Yes, Sunny, everyone has a story - and I love hearing the stories!!! So much for all of us to share - and learn from each other.

I was happy to find the Harris Teeter at Morrocroft. I had a friend here who referred me to the "Taj MaTeeter" and I had no clue what he was talking about . . . til I saw it.

I was happy to find Ballantyne, a whole community that had sprung up since I had moved out of state!!!

I was disappointed to find that my soil around my house had never been amended and was lousy.

I was thrilled to find a house in the general location I wanted, and all brick.

We moved in (officially) on Oct. 31st and had a big ice storm the weekend after Thanksgiving, and I had not even thought about getting wood delivered, so we had no heat source for five days. So I would say that is something I had not planned for or in any way anticipated.

I was surprised to find that when we picked up our phone to make a call, WSOC was broadcasting over the line! LOL! (yes - televsion broadcast - not radio!!!) Now that was truly odd. BellSouth had to do a lot of work on our line - over several days - to eliminate the problem.

I was so happy to find a red shouldered hawk had decided to spend time in our backyard!

I was disappointed that my neighborhood has no sidewalks.

I was happy to find all the stores I like to frequent w/in 3 miles of my house, including two malls and a Lowe's. Plus, PO, awesome hair salon, groceries, ABC store, Kinko's, restaurants of all sorts, Starbucks, deli, ice cream . . . all the conveniences I like to have close by.

I was very pleased to find such nice neighbors and a very dog friendly neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 07:12 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Been here for 1 year in beautiful Union County. From NJ originally. My wife and young kids have adjusted fabulously (is that a word? lol). It helps immensly that we have family in the area. Me and my wife have strong family values and I'm not sure if we would've survived w/o them...it would've been very tough.

We've made some friends (me through work and my wife meeting the neighbors..)

The challenge was finding out how expensive day to day living is here. I'm used to sky high prop taxes, however the day to day stuff is way more expensive than NJ (ie gas, food, 6.25% tax on food, vehicle registration tax, etc)..you get nickel and dimed big time.... Its been an adjustment that way. Also, work is tough because I'm in sales and I deal w/locals all the time. They are not as accepting as some make it out to be. Its been tough, but they sure warm up to you when you can expense that round of golf every friday!

The surprise is how many sunny days there are down here. I love the weather (even though we're in the drought and the summer was extremely hot). I'll take what we have here and run w/it anyday over the long, gloomy, cloudy NJ winters. Also, people are friendlier (overall) here which is hard getting used to when you come from an area where there not.

There are some negatives. Union County is still run by a bunch of good ole' boys. They are ruining the county. (Even my neighbor who's a lifelong UC resident agrees!). Things are changing for the better though, and more people are getting involved here in politics which is a good thing!


The only thing I can say about planning to come here is 1. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE RELIABLE EMPLOYMENT LINED UP FIRST. Do not come down here w/o a job or you'll be working the night shift at Target to supplement your wife and 2 kids. Also, make sure you sell your home first before you buy or rent. Those are obv, and I would also say don't write off a county or particular city from what you hear on this website. There is good and bad written about every area. Check it out for yourselves...talk to the residents, try to get an honest opinion...
Great post, Jack! I agree - there are "hidden costs" that are unexpected. I don't like the tax on food at all and protested that years ago as I think it is an unfair burden - especially on anyone on a fixed or low income.

Thank you for your good advice. I hope readers will take it to heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 07:15 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
WE love it here, honestly there was no transition for us it just felt like home, where NJ never did. we love the weather so far, really like Most of the people, My children are extremely happy..it has been a challange to meet new friends, although we have made some really great ones and hope to make more as we are here 8 months now. We are more involved in the JCC and Ive met some great ladies through my dd.

Also very happy with schools. I will say I have never seen so many Fatal Car Accidents in my life but other than that, Lovin It...
I have heard so many good things about the JCC! So glad this has been a good resource for you.

That is amazing that you felt this "was home" and no transition. Sounds like you have already put down roots . . . and the friends will only accumulate in time, I am sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Trinity Florida
7,930 posts, read 17,800,938 times
Reputation: 1997
I hope so..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 07:31 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
I hope so..
Well, we are gonna make some new friends . . . on the 20th! YEA!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
1,077 posts, read 2,205,020 times
Reputation: 992
Not sure how much I can offer on this thread, as I have only been in Charlotte for NINE days, but so far it's been great! Warm weather (even 50 degree days feel like 65) and so far very nice people. Have only been uptown a few times, but really enjoyed it each time. I'm renting an apartment for now. If I had any advice for people (seriously) considering moving here, it is not only to look at the exterior apt complex and actual apartment, but to spend an hour or so just observing the people coming and going from each building....you'll get a pretty good idea of who is living there. As a single guy living in a new area and not knowing anyone, it is hard to meet new people. But I think whether it's here in Charlotte or wherever you go, your experience is what you make it. If you look for fun, you'll find it. If you go into your move with negative thoughts, you're doomed from the beginning. Oh, and believe it or not, I do miss NJ, it's not all bad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:21 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top