U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-14-2008, 10:44 AM

89 posts, read 207,318 times

Advertisements

I just moved here and have some questions about my yard. I searched on pine needles and found some info but would like further comments.

My yard is quite large and has many trees on it. It's barren (little grass). I know there was a drought last year but I am told I have so many trees I am not going to get grass to grow. Makes sense because if you walk in the forest there is no grass.. and my yard has just about as many trees as a forest.

My problem: I have 2 dogs and they are currently tracking Charlotte red dirt all thru my house and its really getting to me. I spent hours cleaning the former owners red dirt out of the house and its coming in again. I am not going to live like they did.. disgusting.

So.... how do I cover my ground where my dogs romp around? I have some straw spread now and it works pretty good but its not a permanent solution. So my options are bark, wood chips, pine needles and ground up rubber.. oh I suppose stone pebbles?

I like the way pine needles look.. am concerned about my dogs paws but I bet they would be fine.. one is part pit and the other a golden retriever.. also they are way cuter than any of your dogs

I heard termites like the wood? I know from experience the chemicals in pine needles kill weeds.. which really is a nicety...

so thoughts?

Also.. I guess I have a magnolia tree in my yard.. I was wondering when I could safely trim the bottom of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 12:00 PM

35,568 posts, read 43,729,867 times
Well, for a ground cover for a large space, I would probably choose a more chunky type of mulch, like pine bark but hopefully others will weigh in on their experiences and suggestions.

And no way your dogs are cuter than mine! Miss Scarlett not only has an extremely high IQ, she is a true Southern Belle. Demure but feisty. Plus she is eco-friendly b/c she only does her business in the woods.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:08 PM

3,665 posts, read 6,492,368 times
Ah, we finally disagree on something ani! Pine bark is very temporary and dries rather quickly thus giving a not-so-aesthetic appeal.

Pine needles are the easist to put on imo. Especially if you have pines in your yard that will help keep your beds thick. Your dogs will be fine and in fact, my two (which are way cuter than yours ) prefer to do their business there. Pine needles will be less expensive for larger areas.

I would try ground mulch with color added for smaller areas. The color makes the mulch look rich for months on end and never seems to dry out. The mulch is great for flower gardens, etc.

I personally would stay away from rubber mulch. It does absolutely nothing for your plant health since the main objective with using mulch in the first place is to provide your plants with decomposing materials to add nutrients to your plants. Rubber does not hold moisture which can prove vital during dryer times.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:09 PM

35,568 posts, read 43,729,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Ah, we finally disagree on something ani! Pine bark is very temporary and dries rather quickly thus giving a not-so-aesthetic appeal.

Pine needles are the easist to put on imo. Especially if you have pines in your yard that will help keep your beds thick. Your dogs will be fine and in fact, my two (which are way cuter than yours ) prefer to do their business there. Pine needles will be less expensive for larger areas.

I would try ground mulch with color added for smaller areas. The color makes the mulch look rich for months on end and never seems to dry out. The mulch is great for flower gardens, etc.

I personally would stay away from rubber mulch. It does absolutely nothing for your plant health since the main objective with using mulch in the first place is to provide your plants with decomposing materials to add nutrients to your plants. Rubber does not hold moisture which can prove vital during dryer times.
Well, CG, if you saw my yard, you would never know I am secretly in love w/ mulch as there are only pine needles spread at my house! I just get aggravated b/c they crunch up - grind down (how to describe it???) - b/c Miss Scarlett and I walk on them so much. We get a new load of pine needles twice a year to keep up all that we spread. So altho I keep thinking something else would maybe hold up longer, I do agree that the bark gets crunchy too . . . and dries out . . .

I think it was CouponJack who mentioned red mulch and I am going to check on it, too. Is it rubber tho???? Is that what you are referring to - as rubber? Or is the red stuff something like volcanic rock, I wonder . . . I will be spending some time in the Garden Dept at Lowe's this weekend, trying to figure all this out.

Sounds like you need to go to Lowe's, too, Kidcourage! Tell them City Data sent you and see if they give you a discount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte