Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 07:30 PM

869 posts, read 1,787,327 times

Advertisements

We just got back to TN after spending the last couple of days in the Charlotte area. 1st visit, stayed at the Country Inn & Suites in Huntersville. My wife has job feelers out in the area and we wanted to see if we would like the area. Wednesday night we met some college friends of hers she hadn't seen in over 30 years at the Port City Club. Enjoyed it very much, nice place with a great view of Lake Norman.

Thursday, we just drove around. We had picked 7-8 different rental houses in different neighborhoods and drove by them to try to get a feel. Huntersville, Cornelius, Mt Jolly, and the Highland Creek area of Charlotte. Decided that we do like the Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson area very much.
We then drive downtown for awhile, liked that a lot. Seemed more open that other bigger cities downtowns that we are used to, like Nashville or Chicago. Also seemed very clean. Then drove out by Concord, by the mall and the racetrack, back over to Davidson before heading back to our hotel. Ran out after the rain and walked around Birkdale Village, we really liked that place.

Don't know if any of the job offers will come thru for her, but if they do, we both felt that we could easily move there. Not to worried about commutes, she'd be travelling for one of these jobs and most airport access would be at off hours. Didn't seem to be that long of a commute there. I'd look to find work there once I got there after selling our house and jobs seem to be much more plentiful that they are here.
We are in a 35000 person small town now, an hour away from a lot of things, and both would like to get back closer to a larger city. Have 2 kids at the Univ of Tn, so we don't want to be too far away, an Charlotte fits the bill for most of the things we're looking for.
We both hope that an acceptable job offer comes thru and we will be looking to move there in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 07:38 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
Good luck and I hope a decent job offer comes through for you guys!

Old 06-28-2016, 10:09 PM

26 posts, read 32,163 times
Keep us posted on the status of the job hunting!

Old 06-29-2016, 04:59 AM

Ironic timing, she just accepted a job Monday night and will start Aug 15th. Presbyterian Hospital, so, no travel. Will soon start working with someone they've arranged to help find temporary housing for her. And hopefully I'll be there within a few months after that. Lots of work ahead to prepare this house for sale. Looking forward to the change.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:00 AM

488 posts, read 799,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
Ironic timing, she just accepted a job Monday night and will start Aug 15th. Presbyterian Hospital, so, no travel. Will soon start working with someone they've arranged to help find temporary housing for her. And hopefully I'll be there within a few months after that. Lots of work ahead to prepare this house for sale. Looking forward to the change.
Congratulations! So glad you like the Lake Norman area (we live in Davidson) good luck on selling your home!

Old 06-29-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slakkie View Post
Congratulations! So glad you like the Lake Norman area (we live in Davidson) good luck on selling your home!
Thanks. We do really like it up there, however, with this job coming thru and her work being where it is, we are going to concentrate in the city and south for places to live. She'll get a good feel for things while in temp housing and I'm sure we'll find a place that fits our needs.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:33 AM

193 posts, read 512,465 times
Quote:
Thanks. We do really like it up there, however, with this job coming thru and her work being where it is, we are going to concentrate in the city and south for places to live. She'll get a good feel for things while in temp housing and I'm sure we'll find a place that fits our needs.
Congrats on everything and best of luck with the house sale. Would be interested in how you like the area. We are in Cookeville now and I hate it - need to make a change and have considered NC for some time.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluver View Post
Congrats on everything and best of luck with the house sale. Would be interested in how you like the area. We are in Cookeville now and I hate it - need to make a change and have considered NC for some time.
I don't hate Cookeville at all, but feel like our time here has reached an end. I think Cookeville's future is very bright, but I am ready to return to a more urban area. We've been to Charlotte twice, have really liked what we saw and feel like it could be a good choice. Plus, with my kids gone, I'd like to get back to a good, FT job. And to be honest, those possibilities just don't exist here. I hope that you are also able to find somewhere to make you happy.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:48 AM

488 posts, read 799,017 times
Quote:
I would hesitate to move SOUTH and work in Huntersville - Belmont/Gastonia or Concord sure but south of Uptown will make for a painful commute. JMHO

Old 06-30-2016, 12:03 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,069,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slakkie View Post
I would hesitate to move SOUTH and work in Huntersville - Belmont/Gastonia or Concord sure but south of Uptown will make for a painful commute. JMHO

Depends how far South. A commute from Southpark or Cotswold to Huntersville is as easy, or easier, than a commute from Gastonia to Huntersville or Concord to Huntersville. What was historically true about a Belmont/Gastonia commute is going to really be challenged with the new development near the river.

When I look at distance from Huntersville it's:

20 miles Concord
20 miles Belmont
18 miles Cotswold
20 miles Southpark
30 miles Gastonia

The congestion is not going to get better to any of these places, so we can agree they will want to live as close as possible.

We're talking about some pretty far spreads too...do we know how far south is the OP shopping or what area of Huntersville they are working? Could help provide better info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte