U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 09:11 PM

32 posts, read 2,399 times
Default What's the hype with SW Charlotte/Steele Creek?

I grew up in the Charlotte area and I am trying to figure out why people (specifically on this board) think it's such a great place to be?

I know this area is growing/developing (and that can be a good/bad thing) but the schools are still not top in the district and I would think the airport noise would be a turn-off.

How does this area "beat" South/Southeast Charlotte?

Old 02-14-2008, 11:20 PM

575 posts, read 1,712,596 times
I don't know about "beat"...didn't know it was a contest! Seriously, I live in Steele Creek, and I like it a lot. I have never heard airport noise, but I'm about 3 minutes away from the SC border, so maybe I'm not in the flight path?

I don't think I would like South Charlotte or SE/Mint Hill/Matthews as much as I like Steele Creek for various reasons, although I do wish some of the food stores in South Charlotte would come to Steele Creek!

Old 02-15-2008, 05:20 AM

464 posts, read 774,450 times
Here's what I've posted about Steele Creek:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
I moved to Steele Creek about 8 years ago from East Charlotte to be nearer my job, and I've never regretted it. I expect to be here until I move to a rest home.

Steele Creek is an interesting mixture of old and new. I moved into one of those subdivisions that have been replacing the dairy farms. At the time it was the closest place I could find to my job on Beam Road. I love the short commute that avoids the interstate traffic. (Previously I came across town on Independence and I-277. AAUGH!)

Since Steele Creek is such a magnet for development, most of us here are new and measure our time in years, but there still are many that measure their time in generations.

I began getting involved with the community, starting with my homeowners association. Then I found the Steele Creek Residents Association and began their web site. I participate in all their committees & am on the board of the Steele Creek Library Association. I attend meetings of the Steele Creek Historical and Genealogical Society when I can. (Wow, you wouldn't believe how much history the area has!) Through my boy, I've also gotten involved with scouts, a local karate school, and the Steele Creek Athletic Association.

Folks have a wide variety of churches to choose from, from the historical and traditional to the ultra-modern.

It's amazing how much Steele Creek has changed in just the short time I've lived here. It's interesting to see the plans developers present for rezoning and watch them move toward completion.

I live closer to Whitehall than RiverGate but shop at both. (I've shopped at the Whitehall Bi-Lo since it opened without incident.) When I moved here, I spent most of the early weekends at the Lowes in Pineville. It's great having more shopping close by. Although there are some high end developments coming in, most of Steele Creek is affordable and is one of the most naturally diverse communities in the Charlotte area.

I never heard the word "bad" associated with Steele Crek until I discovered this message board. It took me quite by surprise.

There was a time a few years back when the locals took their kids out of Olympic and moved them to the magnet program at Harding. That is changing now. Olympic is on the upswing. it's been divided into five smaller schools to help the students from feeling lost in a mass of students and teachers. Olympic has some passionate supporters -- it wasn't be accident that the stadium made it into the school bonds projects and survived the cuts.

The Steele Creek community generally includes the area south of the airport and west of I-77. The nonresidential buffer along Beam Road and Tyvola Road separates it from other communities to the northeast. The boundaries of the Steele Creek Division of CMPD weren't chosen to correspond to the Steele Crek community. They chose the division boundaries first and then selected the name. Before the recent realignment of districts it went all the way north to I-85. The Nations Ford area isn't part of Steele Creek.

I love living, working, and playing in Steele Creek and don't understand the bashing of it that goes on on this messageboard. I'm a non-confrontational type of guy, however, and seldom join in.

Everything else I know about Steele Creek I put here: Steele Creek Residents Association. I hope you find our site informative about Steele Creek.
If you'd like to know more, come to the meeting of the Steele Creek Residents Association on the 21st. (Steele Creek Residents Association Annual Meeting)

(The airport is buying out residences near the airport, so there are fewer people living near the airport where the noise is than there used to be. New residential development generally is occurring only south of Shopton Road.)

Last edited by NCDave; 02-15-2008 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: To fix URL

Old 02-15-2008, 06:44 AM

255 posts, read 596,683 times
I grew up in Matthews. Moved there when I was 7. Then started my first job after college and built a house in Indian Trail (Brandon Oaks) and lived there for 5 years, started a family, etc. I watched Union County EXPLODE, but what I did not see was enough infrastructure to handle it...

We are now in SW Charlotte (Berewick), the main reason being the location. I just got so SICK of driving uptown from SE. It is just brutal....EVERYONE is going SE it seems. 45-1hr each way...

Now I commute back and forth to work in literally 20 minutes.

To be honest, I feel just about as 'country' as I did living in Indian Trail. Steele Creek is very country (coupled with a 'lake' community) And to be completely real with you guys, I got MUCH more house for the money in SW then I would have in SE. My exact house in SE would of cost 50-75k more (I priced it, SQ, options, etc.)

Anyway, I do not hear as much cows (hehe) but it's just as quiet at night. Plus I am super close to Lake Wylie (my house backs up about 40-50 yards from Brown's Cove so that's kinda new/nice. I do not hear airplane noise at all really.

But to sum it up I think most people are moving here because like myself, are just SICK of the SE traffic...especially if you have lived here all your life and are working uptown..

And yeah the only school problem atm is High School (I think). But that's mainly a biased opinion on my part because I went to Providence and had everything 'new', hehe. I played soccer with a lot of guys that went to Olympic, dated a girl at UNCC and hung out with here friends who went to West Meck. They all seemed just as normal as me..

And we still drive into SE for Church, but my wife and I look at that as only once a week, vs me coming into uptown from that area 5 times a week, hehe...

Old 02-15-2008, 06:55 AM

35,346 posts, read 42,215,632 times
Default Terrific post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post
I grew up in Matthews. Moved there when I was 7. Then started my first job after college and built a house in Indian Trail (Brandon Oaks) and lived there for 5 years, started a family, etc. I watched Union County EXPLODE, but what I did not see was enough infrastructure to handle it...

We are now in SW Charlotte (Berewick), the main reason being the location. I just got so SICK of driving uptown from SE. It is just brutal....EVERYONE is going SE it seems. 45-1hr each way...

Now I commute back and forth to work in literally 20 minutes.

To be honest, I feel just about as 'country' as I did living in Indian Trail. Steele Creek is very country (coupled with a 'lake' community) And to be completely real with you guys, I got MUCH more house for the money in SW then I would have in SE. My exact house in SE would of cost 50-75k more (I priced it, SQ, options, etc.)

Anyway, I do not hear as much cows (hehe) but it's just as quiet at night. Plus I am super close to Lake Wylie (my house backs up about 40-50 yards from Brown's Cove so that's kinda new/nice. I do not hear airplane noise at all really.

But to sum it up I think most people are moving here because like myself, are just SICK of the SE traffic...especially if you have lived here all your life and are working uptown..

And yeah the only school problem atm is High School (I think). But that's mainly a biased opinion on my part because I went to Providence and had everything 'new', hehe. I played soccer with a lot of guys that went to Olympic, dated a girl at UNCC and hung out with here friends who went to West Meck. They all seemed just as normal as me..

And we still drive into SE for Church, but my wife and I look at that as only once a week, vs me coming into uptown from that area 5 times a week, hehe...
This is an excellent post b/c it gives insight from someone who has literally seen it all happen in S CLT. I really enjoyed reading what you wrote, BC. Thank you so much for taking the time to let us see things from your perspective as a lifetime resident.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:19 AM

No problem. Yeah I have lived here all my life (well mostly, spend the first 7 years of it right outside Nashville - Hendersonville/Lake Hickory). I am 33 now. Funny story, when I moved here at 7 from Nashville all the kids laughed because my accent was SO southern..and this was Charlotte....very confusing..haha!

I just wanted to give a decent heads up to people and not a bunch of smoke and mirrors.

Fact of the matter is Charlotte right now is pretty nice almost everywhere you go. Lot's of great locations and options. Trust me it was not always like this..so take advantage of it and pick a spot that fits your lifestyle and not a label or an internet opinion.

Yeah SE Charlotte use to STOP at Rea Road and Providence. I mean it literally was 2 lane, fields and woods from that point on...and this was not that long ago (20 years).

Crazy story - I was bussed from Matthews (lived off Tilley Morris road right on the Union County/Meck line) ALL the way to Carmel Junior High to help 'segregate' the schools at the time..

I got lots of Charlotte history stories...lots..hehe

Last edited by BigCountry; 02-15-2008 at 07:30 AM..

Old 02-15-2008, 07:27 AM

3,221 posts, read 5,943,087 times
I moved from S/E Charlotte to Steele Creek and I would not move back.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:21 PM

32 posts, read 2,399 times
Well, don't you think if SW Charlotte is growing, that it will EXPLODE too and that the infrastructure won't be able to support it? Of course all of Charlotte is doing that so there aren't too many areas that remain undeveloped!
We're buying/selling and currently live in Matthews and love it here. We considered SW/Steele Creek but schools are very important to us (and for re-sale) and since our school zone has excellent schools we are going to stay here. I know we probably won't get as big of a house for our $$ as we could in SW, but I guess you have to decide what is important to you, right?
Thanks for the feedback!

Old 02-15-2008, 12:35 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,585,376 times
Same thing can be said about South/Southeast Charlotte...it is NOT all that!

There are many places nicer like...Uptown, Myers Park, Eastover, Dilworth, Elizabeth, Davidson, Cornelius....etc!

I am not bashing South/Southeast Charlotte but those are the people that put middle class areas like Steele Creek down.

Steele Creek is fine.

What is the hype about Ballantyne. 99% of the people that say they live in Ballantyne don't. They live in the Ballantyne "area"...big difference like a few hundred thousand dollars!

Unless you live in Ballantune Country Club...you DO NOT live in Ballantyne...you live in the "area" that also has condos & apartments.

I do not want to be bashed...but it is always the Ballantyne & South/Southeast people that seem to put other areas of Charlotte down...money & ZIP codes will NOT get you thru the gates of heaven any faster.

I have lived in South & Southeast Charlotte and would NEVER move that far out again...but different strokes for different folks.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymyhouse:) View Post
Well, don't you think if SW Charlotte is growing, that it will EXPLODE too
No. My issue with that was more geared toward Union County and the fact that residential land was mass sold and developed on WAY faster than the infrastructure to support it (roads, water, etc.). And that is a totally different topic..

Union County vs Mecklenburg I guess would be that topic..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte