Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 02:25 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,047,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoboe View Post
Or you are just oblivious and live in a bubble. This could happen anywhere at any given time.

Care to expand on what makes you feel this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 05:32 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,745,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
This is simply not true. I'm not sure where you are getting your information but recommend you consult better sources.

Actually it is true. A friend of mine has lived in the in this neighborhood off of 51 near William Davie Park. She has 4 kids. All 4 kids have attended different schools in the 10 years they lived there due to rezoning. Finally a few years ago she enrolled all of them in private school. And she is minutes down the road from South Charlotte Middle and Providence High school which as of a few years ago she was rezoned to South Meck and Carmel Middle.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Actually it is true. A friend of mine has lived in the in this neighborhood off of 51 near William Davie Park. She has 4 kids. All 4 kids have attended different schools in the 10 years they lived there due to rezoning. Finally a few years ago she enrolled all of them in private school. And she is minutes down the road from South Charlotte Middle and Providence High school which as of a few years ago she was rezoned to South Meck and Carmel Middle.
First let's agree on what "it" is. You think Ballantyne residents are going to be shipped across town? The post I took issue with that wrote off all CMS schools because all neighborhoods were at risk is the epitome of overreaction based on fear.

I would love to set up a friendly wager with you or any poster that thinks CMS is going to rezone neighborhoods without regard for proximity. If I can get enough of the chicken littles to commit to a 5 year wager I may be able to retire. While the fear of rezoning and hatred of non-existent plans to bus kids across town are real, they are unjustified. Mark this thread if you like. Ballantyne kids aren't going to get redistricted across town. Buying a home outside of the city due to this fear is preposterous.

BTW - supposing your friend's experience was true (4 kids attending 4 schools), each one you mentioned in south Charlotte is great anyway. I would agree that any kid can have a bad experience, no matter the school, but most kids/parents should excel at schools like South Charlotte Middle, Carmel Middle, Providence High and South Meck high school. Avoiding them is laughable. I'm sure there are some status mom's bashing them, but generally they are excellent learning communities with committed staff and families.

Another point is that the neighboring school districts will be redistricting in the future at some point. It's easy to condemn CMS without considering alternatives.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:30 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,269,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akoboe View Post
Or you are just oblivious and live in a bubble. This could happen anywhere at any given time.
Well "this" "could" happen in any other county too, with Union just having a bigger redistricting than CMS has had in awhile.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:30 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,745,343 times
You mentioned proximity and I posted my friend's experience with being closest to Providence High and South Charlotte. But instead they were rezoned a few years ago to South Mecklenburg and Carmel Middle. And before that they were rezoned a few different elementary schools. Never mentioned that they are bad.

As for 'believing' me you can look on this board and online when the rezoning happened. As for the future, I do agree that finally we are safe from rezoning here for a few years in SE Charlotte.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:17 AM

11,410 posts, read 7,743,512 times
Quote:
Another takeaway lesson is that many people are so scared of diverse schools that they will pay money for options with less proven success and discount any social or civic lessons to be learned by supporting their public options.

CMS should rally to grow and preserve their more affluent students. They are doing a poor job of it. I don't think people realize how great the public option really is and it is largely peer pressure, elitism, bad experiences from other public school experiences, fear and bad information driving good families from giving the public schools a chance. CMS has some GREAT public schools! It's something that set us apart from many large cities growing up! We can continue to have GREAT public schools if our community would bond to contribute to them instead of taking their ball and going home based on fear.

I don't fault any parent for doing what they think is right for their kids. I just wish CMS would do a better job reassuring and proving to these parents that the CMS is a success story.

Can you tell us what CMS school(s) your kids attend(ed) and what has their experience has been both good and bad? Have you moved or been rezoned from one area to another and what effect did that have on the quality of your children's instruction or social situation? Have you or your children experienced any specific situations where you experienced frustration with CMS or has it all been positive?

You complain that CMS does a poor job of reassuring people they are a success story, but your posts are just the same. They're filled with RAH RAH RAH CMS and no substance to share about how CMS has served you and your children well. People don't want to repeatedly hear "CMS is great", people want to hear why your experiences prove CMS has been great for your kids. Honestly, your posts read read like you're the publicist for the school system.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 05-24-2016 at 06:35 AM..

Old 05-24-2016, 08:08 AM

416 posts, read 923,761 times
I'd just add that Union County and Lancaster County are going to face the same issues as they continue to explode with growth. The taxes will follow.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Can you tell us what CMS school(s) your kids attend(ed) and what has their experience has been both good and bad? Have you moved or been rezoned from one area to another and what effect did that have on the quality of your children's instruction or social situation? Have you or your children experienced any specific situations where you experienced frustration with CMS or has it all been positive?

You complain that CMS does a poor job of reassuring people they are a success story, but your posts are just the same. They're filled with RAH RAH RAH CMS and no substance to share about how CMS has served you and your children well. People don't want to repeatedly hear "CMS is great", people want to hear why your experiences prove CMS has been great for your kids. Honestly, your posts read read like you're the publicist for the school system.

I think it's easy to bash CMS and that there reputation is far worse for many reasons other than their performance. North Carolina education funding has been gutted over the last 18 years and CMS is proven to be creative in their approach. I think it's easy to complain without considering alternatives or stepping back to evaluate your perspective or their obstacles.

You can look up stats if you want or read about the awards they have won. My point is that you shouldn't have to seek them out. It's not hard to understand that they can't spend money on proactive work like the advocacy I'm requesting. I wish CMS could fund this sort of position but I don't think their budgets will allow it. We are close to the bottom in the United States in per pupil funding! They are having trouble hiring enough custodians and teachers assistants let alone PR staff.

There's also the factor that message boards are riddled with negative response bias (respondents are more likely to complain than celebrate) and while I'll admit my optimism, I think my voice is more balanced and accurate than biased. I think there is plenty of improvement to make in CMS. Correcting uninformed people about their fear of busing isn't the same as boosterism.

Related to the OP - I don't think a return to busing kids across the county will ever happen again. The fear is real but the likelihood is not. Either way - there is a lot more positive going on in the school system than most recognize.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:39 AM

11,410 posts, read 7,743,512 times
Quote:
I think it's easy to bash CMS and that there reputation is far worse for many reasons other than their performance. North Carolina education funding has been gutted over the last 18 years and CMS is proven to be creative in their approach. I think it's easy to complain without considering alternatives or stepping back to evaluate your perspective or their obstacles.

You can look up stats if you want or read about the awards they have won. My point is that you shouldn't have to seek them out. It's not hard to understand that they can't spend money on proactive work like the advocacy I'm requesting. I wish CMS could fund this sort of position but I don't think their budgets will allow it. We are close to the bottom in the United States in per pupil funding! They are having trouble hiring enough custodians and teachers assistants let alone PR staff.

There's also the factor that message boards are riddled with negative response bias (respondents are more likely to complain than celebrate) and while I'll admit my optimism, I think my voice is more balanced and accurate than biased. I think there is plenty of improvement to make in CMS. Correcting uninformed people about their fear of busing isn't the same as boosterism.

Related to the OP - I don't think a return to busing kids across the county will ever happen again. The fear is real but the likelihood is not. Either way - there is a lot more positive going on in the school system than most recognize.

You missed the point (or evaded it) and went off on another rah rah tangent. I'll ask again: What have been your experiences, good and bad, as a CMS parent? Do you feel your kids are being well served at the schools they attend? You point to people giving negative responses about their specific experiences and clearly disapprove of them posting negatives and yet you are not sharing any positive experiences of your own to counterbalance. I have to wonder why.

Are your frequent and always glowingly positive posts about CMS based on actual experiences by your kids who attend CMS schools or yourself as a CMS parent? Or are you just basing them on what you read and your general feeling of optimism about CMS? If the former, please share. If the latter, you need to preface your comments with "Based on my OPINION and what I read and not actual EXPERIENCE as a CMS parent"....

Old 05-24-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
You missed the point (or evaded it) and went off on another rah rah tangent. I'll ask again: What have been your experiences, good and bad, as a CMS parent? Do you feel your kids are being well served at the schools they attend? You point to people giving negative responses about their specific experiences and clearly disapprove of them posting negatives and yet you are not sharing any positive experiences of your own to counterbalance. I have to wonder why.

Are your frequent and always glowingly positive posts about CMS based on actual experiences by your kids who attend CMS schools or yourself as a CMS parent? Or are you just basing them on what you read and your general feeling of optimism about CMS? If the former, please share. If the latter, you need to preface your comments with "Based on my OPINION and what I read and not actual EXPERIENCE as a CMS parent"....
Are the insights and values of community members re: public schools less valuable if they do not have children in them? I want strong public schools for many reasons, including my own children's future, but also for our entire community. I am also aware of the likelihood of forced busing no matter my personal experience or bias for/against the schools. Pointing out unjustified fears doesn't require kids in CMS.

Anecdotes don't mean much compared to statistics and I wouldn't place a high value on my personal journey in isolation as justification for supporting CMS. I've been critical of CMS in my past posts. The system is far from perfect. My critique of the fear is not the same as saying CMS is perfect. My issue has been with unjustified fears of busing, not with parents having a bad experience with CMS.

Either way, and totally unrelated to the point, but just to answer your question: I was an education major at UNC Chapel Hill and have worked in several school districts, including CMS. I am a product of CMS. I attended Cotswold Elementary, Randolph Middle School and West Charlotte High school. I was bused from the Cotswold mall area to West Charlotte. The neighborhood I grew up in is now districted to Myers Park. My kids are currently districted to Cotswold Elementary, Alexander Graham and Myers Park high school. I had a great experience but I wouldn't use my path as disproving anyone elses.

What does any of that prove? You think my positive experience makes their experiences invalid? It has nothing to do with the OP or the likelihood of busing Ballantyne students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte