U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-20-2016, 12:45 PM
 
37,235 posts, read 37,976,598 times
Reputation: 25943

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Adjacent to Fairmont Park, along City Line Ave. Lovely areas, very middle class. Will Smith grew up in the area, not in the hood. I worked in Wynnefield for several years, majority black, good people. some walkable retail.
Ahhh, ok gotcha. I'm not sure...a lot of folks who move from up north to the South actually desire a more suburban neighborhood (which is what Dilworth would be). Although Philly isn't as bad as Chicago in terms of racial tension, in many ways it might be more of the same for the OP.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-20-2016, 01:06 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,806 posts, read 32,599,901 times
Reputation: 10247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Ahhh, ok gotcha. I'm not sure...a lot of folks who move from up north to the South actually desire a more suburban neighborhood (which is what Dilworth would be). Although Philly isn't as bad as Chicago in terms of racial tension, in many ways it might be more of the same for the OP.
Well, if older, tree-lined neighborhoods are her thing, Dilworth & the neighborhoods that I mentioned in Philly are a wash. If she wants to be in the majority, racially, Philly, hands down.

I worked on Wynnefield Ave & went to various shops in the area including walking to Produce Junction. Never ran across an unpleasant neighbor in 6 years. Also worked across the city line in Bala Cynwyd 3+ years & went to some of the same stores. Never had a negative experience then, either. I don't think that she'd have problems in Dilworth, either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2016, 01:19 PM
 
3,822 posts, read 3,979,844 times
Reputation: 4421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Ahhh, ok gotcha. I'm not sure...a lot of folks who move from up north to the South actually desire a more suburban neighborhood (which is what Dilworth would be). Although Philly isn't as bad as Chicago in terms of racial tension, in many ways it might be more of the same for the OP.
I adore the south regardless of our jaded past and tumultuous history with respect to race relations. I think we've advanced and prospered more in the south with race relations since the issue has been front and center and couldn't be cloaked or hidden. Both Blacks and Whites in the south have had to overcome stereotypes and stigmas about being ass backwards and "stupid" due to an accent, rural, etc.

I think the OP is admirable to request an AA neighborhood but in a booming southern metropolis like Charlotte it isn't necessary to seek that type of a neighborhood since there are pockets of diversity/transplants all over the city. There are concentrations of AA in areas like West Charlotte, etc but I think the more important thing is to research and find a place that meets their livability criteria (or as close as possible).

Charlotte and most southern cities aren't big city urban-centric metros (for better or worse). I do agree about Dilworth, it's close to a multitude of accessible options and if living near the "city"/downtown is that desirable, that would be a prime location. They'll have access to any cultural events/activities, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2016, 01:24 PM
 
37,235 posts, read 37,976,598 times
Reputation: 25943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I adore the south regardless of our jaded past and tumultuous history with respect to race relations. I think we've advanced and prospered more in the south with race relations since the issue has been front and center and couldn't be cloaked or hidden. Both Blacks and Whites in the south have had to overcome stereotypes and stigmas about being ass backwards and "stupid" due to an accent, rural, etc.

I think the OP is admirable to request an AA neighborhood but in a booming southern metropolis like Charlotte it isn't necessary to seek that type of a neighborhood since there are pockets of diversity/transplants all over the city. There are concentrations of AA in areas like West Charlotte, etc but I think the more important thing is to research and find a place that meets their livability criteria (or as close as possible).

Charlotte and most southern cities aren't big city urban-centric metros (for better or worse). I do agree about Dilworth, it's close to a multitude of accessible options and if living near the "city"/downtown is that desirable, that would be a prime location. They'll have access to any cultural events/activities, etc.
Agreed on all fronts. The thing that I've always liked about Charlotte is that it has several fairly integrated middle-class neighborhoods.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2016, 01:57 PM
 
80,637 posts, read 108,714,708 times
Reputation: 17018
Just curious, but if one were to ask what middle class area(s)/neighborhoods have the highest concentration of Black residents, what neighborhoods would one look into?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2016, 02:18 PM
 
37,235 posts, read 37,976,598 times
Reputation: 25943
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just curious, but if one were to ask what middle class area(s)/neighborhoods have the highest concentration of Black residents, what neighborhoods would one look into?
University and the north Beatties Ford Rd area would most likely be among them. Parts of east and west Charlotte as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2016, 02:23 PM
 
3,822 posts, read 3,979,844 times
Reputation: 4421
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just curious, but if one were to ask what middle class area(s)/neighborhoods have the highest concentration of Black residents, what neighborhoods would one look into?
The following link is for the city of Charlotte, demographics by zip code...


http://charlottechamber.com/clientup...tail_demos.pdf


Breakdown of zip codes..


http://www.dilworthcharlotte.com/cha...-zip-code-map/

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 05-20-2016 at 02:33 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2016, 03:01 PM
 
157 posts, read 140,282 times
Reputation: 312
Best visual tool to find whatever people you are looking for:

The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2016, 06:40 PM
 
80,637 posts, read 108,714,708 times
Reputation: 17018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
The following link is for the city of Charlotte, demographics by zip code...


http://charlottechamber.com/clientup...tail_demos.pdf


Breakdown of zip codes..


Charlotte Area Zip Code Map |
Thanks! It appears that 28262, 28269, 28213 and 28215 are highly to predominately Black zip codes that have educational attainments around(give or take) or above the national percentage(30% of those 25 and older have at least a Bachelors degree) and a median household income around(give or take) or above the state figure, with one above the national figure of about $53,700). They all are adjacent to each other to the direct north clockwise to the direct east.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2016, 10:42 AM
 
16 posts, read 13,835 times
Reputation: 55
28205 East Charlotte! Diverse community full of culture. I would say East Charlotte has more culture than the rest of the city combined. East Side is where its at. South End is sterile and honestly Noda, Midwood, Dilworth and Uptown are unaffordable at this point. You can get the same house on the East side for 150k that you would pay 500k and up for in any of the places I just listed. East Side has killer restaurants, diverse group of people, very affordable housing for the location and is a 10 minute drive to all the places I just mentioned that are unaffordable to live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top